collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Millwall Post Match Thread  (Read 23421 times)

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
Re: Aston Villa v Millwall Post Match Thread
« Reply #135 on: April 22, 2019, 08:04:58 PM »
Obviously lots of people bunked off Maths.

Offline Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #136 on: April 22, 2019, 10:01:29 PM »
I don’t get out much, so here are my remarks.

Absolutely loved Jedinak today.

I especially enjoyed the way Millwall’s players bounced off his chest and landed in a heap. Reminded me of George Curtis.

How El Ghazi didn’t score is a mystery.

How Davis and Green didn’t score is a travesty.
Should we buy their goalkeeper?

Loved Kodjia’s goal after what had gone before. Kismet.
The bit when he beat about 5 or 6 defenders in the box before the shot shows how much confidence is part of an individual performance.  Beaten by a very good goalie.

Loved the play from JMG, SuperJack and Glenn Whelan, who was constantly picking up the odd ball from defence just in front of the dugouts and then making something happen.

Mings is brilliant. (So who have Bournemouth got?!)

Neil Taylor is better when overlapping. Albert was not having a brill time today.
Subs came on when I thought they should, and made an impact.

Deano is absolutely ever present. Changed personnel when it was needed and the tempo and the attack responded ( second half).

The final whistle took me by surprise and we have a new record!  The best kind!

Whacko!

Offline Louzie0

« Reply #137 on: April 22, 2019, 10:19:22 PM »

I just wanted to see this again. Thanks, PWS.

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #138 on: April 22, 2019, 10:21:31 PM »
Mings was my PotM. Thought Jedinak looked out of sorts.

Offline rougegorge

« Reply #139 on: April 22, 2019, 10:29:40 PM »

I especially enjoyed the way Millwall’s players bounced off his chest and landed in a heap. Reminded me of George Curtis.

The bit when he beat about 5 or 6 defenders in the box before the shot shows how much confidence is part of an individual performance.  Beaten by a very good goalie.

Loved the play from JMG, SuperJack and Glenn Whelan, who was constantly picking up the odd ball from defence just in front of the dugouts and then making something happen.

Neil Taylor is better when overlapping. Albert was not having a brill time today.

Deano is absolutely ever present. Changed personnel when it was needed and the tempo and the attack responded ( second half).

Whacko!

Agree with this, although I think neither Davis nor Green will score many.

They both did well, but came on when Millwall were stretched as they had had taken off a defender and rejigged. El Ghazi is getting more consistency and is using his pace and skill to better effect.

I was surprised how well David Martin played (Alvin's son), as he's not the first choice and I remember the howler that recently cost them a place in the FA Cup semi.

Despite the narrow margin of victory, it was quite comfortable as they offered precious little in the second half.

Offline Louzie0

« Reply #140 on: April 22, 2019, 10:32:10 PM »
I can see Mings as PotM and endorse that wholeheartedly. What a cracker, today.

Otherwise,
I really enjoyed what Jedinak was doing. I know there were one or two wild passes into the stands, but the guy is really dangerous to oncoming players who get anywhere near him.

He is the last line of defence and plays that way, so I suppose he’s a bit er, unreconstructed.

He was effective in stopping, which is is the ultimate assessment.
That’s his game and he does it.

With extreme prejudice.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #141 on: April 22, 2019, 10:40:50 PM »
From elsewhere.

If Carlsberg did bank holiday weekends........

Offline Louzie0

« Reply #142 on: April 22, 2019, 10:43:18 PM »

Whacko!

Agree with this, although I think neither Davis nor Green will score many.

They both did well, but came on when Millwall were stretched as they had had taken off a defender and rejigged. El Ghazi is getting more consistency and is using his pace and skill to better effect.

I was surprised how well David Martin played (Alvin's son), as he's not the first choice and I remember the howler that recently cost them a place in the FA Cup semi.

Despite the narrow margin of victory, it was quite comfortable as they offered precious little in the second half.

I must admit, I thought Deano brought the subs on when Millwall had managed to play to negate the match to the point when the entire ground was completely quiet!

I only saw them anywhere near scoring twice, though. I don’t know enough about DM to comment, one way or the other.

UTV!

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #143 on: April 22, 2019, 10:48:51 PM »
If I was being very picky the only downside is that having the score kept low by great goal keeping displays is becoming a habit, to the extent that it probably says more about our finishing. I don’t think Martin or O’Leary are particularly good keepers.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 10:50:39 PM by themossman »

Offline Louzie0

« Reply #144 on: April 22, 2019, 10:51:25 PM »
From elsewhere.

If Carlsberg did bank holiday weekends........

The Villa would have a record breaking unbroken series of winning matches and add at least another one to the rolling total.

We won the one we played today! 😀 😁 😃

Offline ez

« Reply #145 on: April 22, 2019, 11:39:26 PM »
The Villa/Millwall game while never "a classic" was very difficult to see which of the teams was "flirting with relegation*" and which was Premier bound. Villa should be wary - might make Huddersfield look like Man City.
*Flirting: Sitting in Amsterdam window with red light on.

Danny Baker on Twitter. Not sure what game he was watching.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #146 on: April 23, 2019, 12:34:07 AM »
Went to the game earlier, but only just able to post.  Pretty much like a number of the performances over the past few weeks.  Started brightly, had a minor wobble, but you always felt we were going to come on strong in the second half. 

Could have been a much bigger winning margin had it not been for a number of instinctive saves by their keeper in the second period.  Just think we need to tighten up a bit all over the pitch and with the play off position all but secured, the next two games should be decent enough tests to do that. 

Offline mike

« Reply #147 on: April 23, 2019, 01:05:36 AM »
If I was being very picky the only downside is that having the score kept low by great goal keeping displays is becoming a habit, to the extent that it probably says more about our finishing. I don’t think Martin or O’Leary are particularly good keepers.

I agree.

Online maidstonevillain

• GM : 26.11.2024
« Reply #148 on: April 23, 2019, 01:15:50 AM »

Agree entirely. For many of the saved shots against Bristol and Millwall the ball was put where a good reaction save kept it out, but when a good strike would have put it out of reach of the goalie.

Offline KRS

« Reply #149 on: April 23, 2019, 04:53:53 AM »
Agree x3. Our poor finishing has been a growing concern for me, and I just hope it doesn’t come back to haunt us in the playoffs. We are playing some beautiful football and creating plenty of chances, but we need to be a lot more clinical in front of goal and put teams to the sword. Dean has mentioned this in a couple of post match interviews so I’m hopeful that it will be addressed and they’ll be working on finishing in training.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal