collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by Demitri_C
[Today at 09:55:30 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Demitri_C
[Today at 09:53:19 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by chrisw1
[Today at 09:47:38 AM]

Re: Robin Olsen by Demitri_C
[Today at 09:46:53 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Tony Daleys Shorts
[Today at 09:46:25 AM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 09:45:15 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Chico Hamilton III
[Today at 09:43:13 AM]

Re: Loanwatch 2023/24 by Dave
[Today at 09:41:22 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Has it gone too far?  (Read 15654 times)

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Has it gone too far?
« on: March 11, 2019, 08:12:09 PM »
I saw this being discussed on that lot.com yesterday and thought it was an interesting question.

It has always been pretty horrible, but in recent years, has this hatred thing gone too far?

And if it has, is there anything that can be done about it, and if so, what is it and who would need to do it?

Can it be defused in any way?

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
Re: Has it gone too far?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 08:17:19 PM »
Aston Heath Alliance

only joking

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 08:17:47 PM »
They have this massive monkey on their back that they will never be able to shift. And it’s always going to be something that eats away at them. They need to find a way to tone down their immense bitterness towards us. I doubt we’re perfect but fuck me they almost revel in this sense of being the downtrodden and forgotten “masses”. It starts with them in my opinion at all levels of the club.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 08:18:00 PM »
I think one of the big things ramping it up is that they just can't beat us. So every game winds them up more and more. 14 league games unbeaten in a derby game is a run that happens very rarely and usually it's because one side is massively better than the other and even then there's usually the odd 'underdog' result.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 08:18:49 PM »
Think it's getting as bad as 02/03 now.

Few years after in the prem things did calm down a bit.

Think them going now nearly a decade without beating us is really getting them frothing at the mouth although obviously not something I want changing anytime soon.

Offline pauliewalnuts

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 08:21:11 PM »
Think it's getting as bad as 02/03 now.

Few years after in the prem things did calm down a bit.

Think them going now nearly a decade without beating us is really getting them frothing at the mouth although obviously not something I want changing anytime soon.

What year was the league cup kick-off? 2010?

That too was pretty fucking awful. Worse than 02/03. I remember we were working with a Spanish company on a project at the time, and a guy I dealt with there was well into his football, so most days we'd have a football related chat.

Trying to explain that to him was difficult.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 08:21:29 PM »
It’s entirely down to their doing. There can’t be a club anywhere else in the country (or even abroad) that is so obsessed with jealousy and hatred of their nearest neighbours than Small Heath are with Aston Villa. Nothing will change. We’re better off not playing them like what happened when they went on their 16 year tour of the lower leagues in ‘86 or whenever it was.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 08:22:09 PM »
My Dad moved to London in 1950s and watched Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea. The fans of respective clubs were fanatics of their own club.
He moved up to the Midlands a few years later and watched Villa, Albion and Wolves who were fanatics of their own club. Blues were also fanatics. Fanatics about Villa, negatively.

That's a lot of years of reversal.

Talking to a Walsall fan today who went to QF FA Cup in 75 when he was about 11 or 12 - said has hated the ground ever since, some older Blues boyos tried to sniff him out but he'd done his homework beforehand on the ground.

We could start by not singing 'Shit on the City' which is feeble in every respect, and make sure none of our fans repeat what that twat did yesterday

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2019, 08:22:18 PM »
Yes, just get promoted. They won’t be following any time soon.

But seriously, they need a complete change in culture at the club, but they’re so desperate to hold on to whatever support they have they pander to their wanky elements.

It will never change. There’s more chance of them going bust first, fingers crossed.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2019, 08:23:57 PM »
there’s a possibility we could meet them in a Wembley play off final

not a very big one admittedly but it is possible

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2019, 08:24:49 PM »
Villa dominate their club from top to bottom, until that changes I don't think much else will. Should be added that there's a fair few of ours now that seemed obsessed with them as well.

Offline pauliewalnuts

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2019, 08:26:07 PM »
Villa dominate their club from top to bottom, until that changes I don't think much else will. Should be added that there's a fair few of ours now that seemed obsessed with them as well.

Yes, agree, let's be honest, it isn't all one way.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2019, 08:29:53 PM »
It’s killed them also that even during our recent downturn in luck and fortunes they still can’t beat us. And what put them over the edge is even when it was finally going to happen, when we were seemingly going under, we were sold to two legitimately filthy rich blokes. And you know if we get promoted and these two start lashing out hundreds of millions in transfers and wages all of this will get worse.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2019, 08:36:27 PM »
You only have to look at some of them treat the Carr incident and how some of ours treat Dion's to realise the mentality you're dealing with, a mentality that I don't think will ever change. Let's be honest, while what happened yesterday was a step too far, stuff has been going on for decades.

Online Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2019, 08:36:50 PM »

Yes, agree, let's be honest, it isn't all one way.

I do think too many sink to their level. And the amount of "Just been on their forums...." posts definitely doesn't help us have any moral high ground.

However their club definitely needs to have a look at itself from top to bottom. How many of our new players are told you must hate the blues? How many of our owners come in and state the aim is to finish above the bluenoses or lets get a better stadium then them or other such statements? How many of our club supporting journalists will tweet crap like "lets drop a weight on Grealish foot and break his toe" and then give a thumbs up to a fans follow up of "it is better dropped on his head"?

I can only really remember Olaf stating much about them and that was because he played in some of the matches and realised the hatred their fans were spewing.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal