collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: SHA v Aston Villa: Pre-Match Thread  (Read 38603 times)

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
SHA v Aston Villa: Pre-Match Thread
« on: March 03, 2019, 11:03:41 AM »
In a weeks time we enter Mordor to face the slack jawed and badly dressed hordes. Hordes that have suddenly found their way out of the Touchwood Centre, got time off from Longbridge and filled their hovel for their cup final, for the one and only time in a season. Snot will be wiped, flat caps worn with gay abadonement and spotty oiks will pogo on pavements recalling a fine 1964 Michael Cain classic.

You'll have heard it for weeks that this is da best Blues side we've faced in years, they're going to batter us, it will be a wall noise and hostility. But that squeaking sound you can hear is the dual sounds of bravado shrinking and ring pieces tightening in B9.

I love these games.

Dilemma in midfield, does SJM come back in or do we stick? Given their propensity to clog it, I think SJM and his energy would be welcome.

There never seems to be much in the games at the Sty, but if we click, they won't live with us. Grealish is the key to that and I fancy Captain Jack to be well up for it.

I predict Craig Gardner and his over developed forehead and mouth breathing to look gimpier than usual. He's a red card waiting to happen and along with Kliften- I can't be bothered to Google the no marks name-belt, will try and kick us off the park. Like last time and to no avail.

Pace, tempo in transition and effort off the ball. It's been present since half time at Stoke and needs to be there next Sunday.

3-1 Villa.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 11:08:08 AM by Ads »

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
Re: SHA v Aston Villa: Pre-Match Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 11:39:13 AM »
I hate this fixture. 1-1.

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 12:05:29 PM »
I had the misfortune hear a nose Vlogger on SKY EFL round up say that they rested Klifty  Kilfto  Klitenho some player I never heard of for the game vs us

hate this game too  Legion....keep another clean sheet and we will win

UTV
The Doc

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2019, 12:11:00 PM »
I think we should stick with the same team.  Whelan's passing is better than McGinn's, and I'd prefer us to pass them off the pitch than get stuck in a battle of attrition.  We can always bring McGinn on to shore things up a bit when they've got tired of chasing shadows at 5-0 down.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2019, 12:11:09 PM »
I think we absolutely bring back SJM for this. He's exactly what we need in Midfield for all games, not just this one.

For Sunday I'd drop Albert and let Jack drift around.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2019, 12:52:10 PM »
I said something similar in another thread but Monk has allowed himself to be sucked into the vortex of their obsession. His post-match interview yesterday was almost entirely about next week's game. He's needlessly accepted the burden of their fans' desperation. It may work out for them and prove to be cathartic. It probably won't.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2019, 01:26:48 PM »
Smith to use head not heart bring McGinn back in - my only concern is left back Taylor is a liability but we more than match them in every other position. Oh I f hate them like nothing else

Offline Damo70

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2019, 03:06:42 PM »
2-2 draw I reckon. On paper I strongly believe we are a better team than them but the Championship table suggests there is very little to choose between us and them. Plus they are at home. They don't score many goals but don't concede many goals. We score loads and concede loads. It could be 0-0 or 4-4.

Offline Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2019, 03:49:04 PM »
I have the feeling the 'noses would've preferred to play us a couple weeks earlier than they are, we are recovering somewhat from a bad run so this games is less daunting than it was before yesterday.

Anyway, I hate these games, always have and I'd usually be happy with draw but we need to keep winning to make the final few weeks of the season interesting.

0-1. Mings.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2019, 04:02:19 PM »
I think we absolutely bring back SJM for this. He's exactly what we need in Midfield for all games, not just this one.

For Sunday I'd drop Albert and let Jack drift around.

AA played very well in the home game v these and scored last week. If that clown Taylor plays*, he will need a hardworking disciplined wide player in front of him. Think it's a straight choice between Hourihane and McGinn. McGinn hasn't played well from what I've seen in some time to be honest.

*Am hoping he won't. Mings looked far from comfortable in his brief cameo on the right side yesterday. If Chester isn't fit I'd bring Jedinak back in at RCB and leave Mings and Hause in their current positions. Their brute up front caused us serious problems at Villa Park and Jedi should be able for that anyway.

Offline Behind Bluenose Lines

• Location: Hanging on in Quiet Desperation During a Global Pandemic
  • GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2019, 04:03:14 PM »
I have the feeling the 'noses would've preferred to play us a couple weeks earlier than they are, we are recovering somewhat from a bad run so this games is less daunting than it was before yesterday.

Anyway, I hate these games, always have and I'd usually be happy with draw but we need to keep winning to make the final few weeks of the season interesting.

0-1. Mings.

I can see him being well up for it. Hope he doesn't get any silly bookings.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2019, 04:36:44 PM »
McGinn has been tried out in training at left back since his suspension. Maybe Smith will put him there so as not to disrupt the midfield and Hause can continue next to Mings.

Gary Gardner being club-tied is great for us, he's been their rock this season.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2019, 05:03:02 PM »
When was the last time we won by more than a goal there out of interest? 80s?

Always tight games and we've certainly gone there not to lose in our last few trips.

Had a bad feeling we'd lose this but I'd say with Jack back and how well we played yesterday we should be full of confidence going there.

Only thing we need to watch is SHA will want us to come out and attack from the start as that's how they've got so many decent results this year. Might be better to sit back and go for it in second half.

Would bring McGinn back, he's too good to leave out for this sort of game imo. Him in a 3 man midfield, Jack and El Ghazi in free roles and drifting wide and likes of Adomah and Kodj on bench as impact changes is how I'd go. Should give their rigid 4-4-2 plenty to worry about.

1-3.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2019, 05:40:41 PM »
They're fuck all and on the cusp of their inevitble slide.

0-4.

Online Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2019, 07:16:57 PM »
When was the last time we won by more than a goal there out of interest? 80s?

In the league it was 1970.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal