collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 08:31:47 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:29:13 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by Scratchins
[Today at 08:23:18 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:13:33 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by algy
[Today at 07:57:27 AM]

Re: FFP by algy
[Today at 07:51:30 AM]

Re: FFP by Rigadon
[Today at 07:24:35 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 07:18:33 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: We're gonna win the lot  (Read 2504 times)

Offline castlefields_villan

We're gonna win the lot
« on: February 26, 2019, 04:16:46 PM »
42 years ago today :

Beat Port Vale 3-0 - we were already in the League Cup Final and with a game or two in hand (as I remember) nicely placed to still mount a challenge for the League Title (the old 1st Division) and this 5th Round win put us into the quarter finals of the FA Cup - I can still recall us singing (and thoroughly believing) "and now you're gonna believe us - we're gonna win the lot."

What a season that was - as a 19 year old, at the time, unforgettable.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
Re: We're gonna win the lot
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 05:50:11 PM »
42 years ago today :

Beat Port Vale 3-0 - we were already in the League Cup Final and with a game or two in hand (as I remember) nicely placed to still mount a challenge for the League Title (the old 1st Division) and this 5th Round win put us into the quarter finals of the FA Cup - I can still recall us singing (and thoroughly believing) "and now you're gonna believe us - we're gonna win the lot."

Yeah agree, best Villa team I've seen in my lifetime. We failed because of the weather, causing too many rearranged games and of course the League Cup semi final and final replays

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 10:25:38 PM »
Similar scenario in 1996. After the Franz Carr FA Cup win at Forest we still had a mathematical chance of the domestic treble. We won the League Cup easily beating Dirty Leeds, a week later Fowler did for us in the boycotted semi at Old Trafford and Manure ran away with the League as we fell away but still finished in what was overall a very respectable 4th place.     

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 07:37:22 PM »
Similar scenario in 1996. After the Franz Carr FA Cup win at Forest we still had a mathematical chance of the domestic treble. We won the League Cup easily beating Dirty Leeds, a week later Fowler did for us in the boycotted semi at Old Trafford and Manure ran away with the League as we fell away but still finished in what was overall a very respectable 4th place.     

Why boycotted? Did it not sell out?

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 08:04:25 PM »
Tickets were really expensive, so wasn't an official boycott, a lot people just decided not to buy them because of the price. Despite being our first semi-final in decades we had probably the best part of 10K unsold, as did Liverpool. Don't think United or Chelsea sold out theirs either for the other semi at VP. We had the added thing as well of it being expensive a week after Wembley.

And the Stretford End was shit, and we had the joy of a racist Liverpool fan in a box behind us abusing one of our Asian mates, although he wasn't so mouthy when the Old Bill were in there. IIRC he got done in court for it.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 08:14:27 PM by PeterWithesShin »

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 08:09:51 PM »
I remember the Liverpool fans singing ‘part-time supporters’ at us.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2019, 05:21:20 AM »
42 years ago today :

We would won the lot given a better keeper and no fixture clog up

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2019, 10:21:03 PM »
Tickets were really expensive, so wasn't an official boycott, a lot people just decided not to buy them because of the price. Despite being our first semi-final in decades we had probably the best part of 10K unsold, as did Liverpool. Don't think United or Chelsea sold out theirs either for the other semi at VP. We had the added thing as well of it being expensive a week after Wembley.

And the Stretford End was shit, and we had the joy of a racist Liverpool fan in a box behind us abusing one of our Asian mates, although he wasn't so mouthy when the Old Bill were in there. IIRC he got done in court for it.

Cheers for that.

I couldn’t afford the trip back having flown home the previous weekend so played Sunday league and then watched our semi in a pub in Paris with a mate. I was effing and blinding in frustration, and was warned to behave.

I remember the Telegraph report (Henry Winter / Paul Hayward?) the next morning summing up with “finally, when Villa had lost by an unfairly wide margin, they went over to their supporters who gave them a long and defiant ovation”. These days our end would be half empty.

Offline Flamingo Lane

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2019, 07:11:17 PM »
Back to 1976/77 and what a week that was, with the two league cup finals and then the FA Cup quarter final at Old Trafford.  My dad bless him drove us to all three games.

The biggest disappointment for me of that season was losing the FA Cup tie, as I think we'd have won that without the league cup final replay being in between.  We would then have played dirty Leeds in the semi final and Liverpool in the final, which would have been some game.

Offline Roysmert

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2019, 03:59:58 PM »

We were never near the title hunt that season, but a great one all the same

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2019, 04:29:40 PM »

Cheers for that.

I couldn’t afford the trip back having flown home the previous weekend so played Sunday league and then watched our semi in a pub in Paris with a mate. I was effing and blinding in frustration, and was warned to behave.

I remember the Telegraph report (Henry Winter / Paul Hayward?) the next morning summing up with “finally, when Villa had lost by an unfairly wide margin, they went over to their supporters who gave them a long and defiant ovation”. These days our end would be half empty.

The coppers were also testing out their Euro 96 policing techniques for this game too. There were certain areas outside the ground that only supporters of one side could use. Stupid, we ended up not being able to meet people we were supposed to ( pre mass mobile phones for most people) and ended up necking cans outside Lou Macari's chippy.   

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal