collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Leon Bailey - signed by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 06:08:38 PM]

Re: Leon Bailey - signed by Forge10
[Today at 06:07:49 PM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Forge10
[Today at 06:06:00 PM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Forge10
[Today at 06:05:38 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Forge10
[Today at 06:04:45 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 06:02:07 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Forge10
[Today at 06:00:38 PM]

Re: Leon Bailey - signed by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 06:00:26 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa vs Sheffield United Post-Match Thread  (Read 30903 times)

Offline wittonwarrior

Re: Aston Villa vs Sheffield United Post-Match Thread
« Reply #180 on: February 09, 2019, 01:13:02 AM »
We were given 3 life lines by Sheffield tonight, but they can only blame themselves.

As for us disgraceful for 80 odd minutes with the exceptions of  Ming, Hutton the Egyption and Whelan when he came on.  Papering over cracks but we go again on Wednesday. COYL

Offline pooligan

• Villa till i die
« Reply #181 on: February 09, 2019, 01:14:09 AM »
What a surprise .I just read Deano saying Carroll suffered a slight strain in Training and will be out for around ten days .It did'nt take him long to get injured did it .

Online West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #182 on: February 09, 2019, 03:04:42 AM »
We were shite for 80 minutes, then we started attacking their defence and they fell apart, why couldn't we do that from the start! As previous posters have mentioned Ming had a very good home debut, I feel he will only get better, another very good player in our squad to go alongside Jack, SGM, Tammy. I know that total maybe halved in the summer but a real prospect.

Online IFWaters

• GM : Sep, 2012
« Reply #183 on: February 09, 2019, 04:49:27 AM »
Make Mings captain. Or Emperor.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #184 on: February 09, 2019, 06:46:18 AM »
We’ve been here before with good debuts though. Let’s see where he is after a few games.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #185 on: February 09, 2019, 06:57:56 AM »
How is he not interfering when he tries to get a touch on the initial shot?

I said he's probably not not interfering if he's stood offside.

But he was both.  Offside AND interfering.  And he kicked the ball out of Kalinic's hands, or at the very least, went in studs up.  Goal should not have stood.

But apart from that it was a perfectly legitimate goal.

Might be wrong but think just before the second Kodj went on mazy run and seemed to be taken out but ref deemed it a dive (although waved play on rather than stop play and book him) so if my timing is right that can be added to the collection.
It looked like the defender clotheslined Kodjia i.e. shoved his forearm across his throat but apparently that's OK with refs at this level.

That was never a foul

Offline Kimaster1976

« Reply #186 on: February 09, 2019, 07:18:05 AM »
Andre Green looked exactly the same as before he went away on loan i.e. a deer trapped in headlights.

Maybe that goal can free him to show the talent thats really there now, start him next match instead of El Ghazi.

Offline Taylor

« Reply #187 on: February 09, 2019, 07:21:58 AM »
I thought Hutton had a good game last night.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #188 on: February 09, 2019, 07:29:26 AM »
A remarkable comeback that doesn't redeem the turgid shit that preceded it. If we had replaced both full backs and strengthened central midfield in January we would have won.I know January isn't the best time to do so, but Hutton and Taylor are abysmal and the midfield doesn't work. I'm praying that we never see the return of the Jedi. Well done Glenn, by the way.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #189 on: February 09, 2019, 07:29:55 AM »
I thought Hutton had a good game last night.

every week there’s a lot worse before you get to Hutton

Offline simboy

• GM : 05.11.2024
« Reply #190 on: February 09, 2019, 07:37:21 AM »
Coming away last night it felt like we had won convincingly; at 80 minutes I was with the bloke behind me in failing to understand the introduction of Whelan and contemplating the trudge back to the car on another disappointing night. Good job I’m not the manager.

Sheffield United were compact, organised, lacking in any real pace which made Hutton, Elphick and even Taylor at times look good. Their first two goals came from poor defending and game management. The third should have buried us.

Our midfield, apart from SJM was anonymous, Hourihane was pretty poor but still managed to deliver two balls that we ultimately scored from.

Smith needs a lot of time and a really patient support base to turn this around. I’m not sure he will get either as I see that some folk are already calling for his head. How they think that eight years of terminal decline will be turned around in a matter of months is beyond me.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #191 on: February 09, 2019, 07:38:30 AM »
I thought Hutton was poor, but I don’t think it’s helped by the team using him as a creative outlet. He shouldn’t be, he’s not good enough on the ball.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #192 on: February 09, 2019, 07:42:45 AM »
simboy - I don't think anyone believes that nearly a decade of unremitting shiteness will be resolved in a few months, but it has put people on a very short tolerance fuse, especially when you consider the money that has been spent, or misspent, during that time. Other sides, very ordinary sides, seem to find this division as lot easier with little or no real resources.

Online Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #193 on: February 09, 2019, 08:00:31 AM »
Also, shout out to Chris Wilder for channeling his inner Tim Sherwood by bringing on 2 strikers in a commanding position and opening the game for us.

Offline KevinEaton

« Reply #194 on: February 09, 2019, 08:02:05 AM »
Overall a pretty terrible performance. Jedinak looked like a man that hadn’t played for 6 months and Hourihane really is too anonymous for large parts of the game to make the midfield effective. SGM literally carried the midfield, he was everywhere and constantly driving forwards to help make something happen. Great composure in the last minute as well to set up the equaliser.

Mings was great for 95% of the game but lack of concentration on the 2nd goal cost us. He was caught ball watching, there was an age between the header and Sharp kicking it out of Kalinic’s hands and the only player to move was Sharp! Probably a bit of rustiness because he hasn’t played regularly for a number of years. I like the look of him and Elphick though, that could develop into a decent partnership.

The modern day full back is one of the most important positions on the pitch. They are relied on heavily going forwards and ours just don’t offer enough.

I was pleased for Green but he really struggled to get into the game before the goal. He had a number if opportunities to run at his man but instead hit an aimless and ultimately over hit cross instead. He needs to play with less fear to really make an impact.

Lots to work on, but the boost from the comeback may just give them a boost

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal