collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 2019/20 First Team 11  (Read 3419 times)

Offline mr underhill

2019/20 First Team 11
« on: February 05, 2019, 09:27:07 AM »
 We know there are going to be a lot of players leaving one way or another come May. The team is going to be radically different come August. Here's 11 names who I'd like to see in a first team squad. Achievable?

Kalinic
 Guilbert
 Henry
 Van Der Hoorn
 Mings
 Carroll
 McGinn
 Fer
Green
Lolley
McBurnie

we were in for Van Der Hoorn in January, apparently, and will go back for him in the summer. given Swansea's financial predicament they might be tempted to part with McBurnie who is very effective at Championship level. I'm assuming Jack will go!

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Re: 2019/20 First Team 11
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 09:28:05 AM »
McBurnie is a big thug. No thanks.

Online Richard

• GM : 08.06.2024
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 09:34:49 AM »
Absolutely no way will the first team be that different. We are not going to become Swansea Mark 2 either.

Offline Dazvillain

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 10:27:26 AM »
My SWANSEA supporting son in law to be, was laughing hysterically when I showed him this !
I wouldn’t want to pre guess a couple of positions as there may be some pickings off prem relegated clubs and more importantly we’re not sure what division we will be in. If by some absolute miracle we do get up, we’d all be expecting some significant investment beyond our January restraints I’d hope.
On that note is there financial restraints or FFP in prem too ?

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 11:37:58 AM »
Well Van Der Hoorn's out of contract in the summer as is Fer. McBurnie? maybe not, but effective and a cheaper alternative to Tammy than, say, Maupay As for what division we are in, who knows, but I suspect its going to be the Championship and my wish list was predicated on that.  A radically different side is a given in view of the number of players leaving through loans ending, contracts expiring and others being sold. Anyway it was just a bit of fun!

Offline eddiemunster

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 11:50:07 AM »
We know there are going to be a lot of players leaving one way or another come May. The team is going to be radically different come August. Here's 11 names who I'd like to see in a first team squad. Achievable?

Kalinic
 Guilbert
 Henry
 Van Der Hoorn
 Mings
 Carroll
 McGinn
 Fer
Green
Lolley
McBurnie

we were in for Van Der Hoorn in January, apparently, and will go back for him in the summer. given Swansea's financial predicament they might be tempted to part with McBurnie who is very effective at Championship level. I'm assuming Jack will go!
Regardless of Jack going or not, If we don't get promoted, I have to ask where the money is going to come from to pay for;
Henry, Van Der Hoorn, Mings, Carroll, Fer, Lolley and McBurnie???

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 12:03:08 PM »

Kalinic
 Guilbert
 Henry
 Van Der Hoorn
 Mings
 Carroll
 McGinn
 Fer
Green
Lolley
McBurnie

Regardless of Jack going or not, If we don't get promoted, I have to ask where the money is going to come from to pay for;
Henry, Van Der Hoorn, Mings, Carroll, Fer, Lolley and McBurnie???

Fer and Van Der Hoorn are out of contract anyway but according to various sources during January we made bids for Mepham who subsequently went for £12m, Henry, Sawyers and Lolley, paid £5m for the right back, £7m for Kalinic and have options in place to sign Hause and Carroll. I think it's safe to say that the money issues are sorted.

Having said that, I hope we don't sign all these Swansea players.

By summer, I'd hope that Pitach has identified another couple of signings along the lines of Guilbert, value for money from abroad. I think Rico Henry will be here too. I read somewhere that he didn't want to move in January because he wanted to give something back to Brentford after being out injured so long. Also Brentford had no need to sell as they had the Mepham money. Summer may well be different in both cases.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 12:09:45 PM by SheffieldVillain »

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2019, 12:11:24 PM »
I don't see much point in trying to work out what the 11 will be just yet, it's best to focus on the squad we'll have, I think i did this on the Smith thread a couple of weeks ago:

GK (3)
Kalinic, Nyland, Sarkic

Right Back (3)
Bree, Elmo, Guilbert

Left Back (2)
Taylor, Clark

Centre Back (3)
Chester, Hause*, Mings*

Centre Mid (6)
Carroll*, Bjarnason, Hourihane, McGinn, Lansbury, Grealish

Wing (3)
Adomah, Green*, El Ghazi*

Strikers (4)
Kodjia, Hogan, Davis, Hepburn-Murphy

That's 24 which is probably about the right number of players with the U23s filling in the gaps during the season.

The loans are there because we supposedly have options on them so there's a reasonable chance of them staying and I've assumed a new deal for Green. I've taken out the kids who've either not player or only have a handful of appearances, RHM is right on the edge of that for me but I decided to include him.

I think Elmo, Taylor, Bjarnason, Adomah, Hogan and Kodjia could all be considered surplus by Smith so we'd be looking at 6 incomings for them and there's a fair chance that Grealish will go as well but I doubt McGinn will leave. That would see us looking to add a left back, centre back, defensive centre mid, 2 attacking midfielders/wingers along with a striker or 2 (this one depends on how he sees RHM).

Offline eddiemunster

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2019, 12:17:30 PM »
Out of contract at the end of the season;

Bunn, Elphick, Hutton, Jedinak, Richards, Steer, Whelan, De Laet, Clarke, Knibbs, Lyden, McKirdy, Mooney, O'Hare, Rowe, Suliman, Blackett-Taylor, Clark. + all of the loanees.

I know we have the options to sign Hause, Carroll and Mings, but if we don't go up, will the owners allow the spending? I personally think not, so if we are still a Championship side next season I'd imagine a line up thus;

Kalinic
Guilbert
Chester
Revan
Green
Taylor
McGinn
Hourihane
Grealish
Kodjia
Davis

With subs from :
Adomah, Bjarnason, Elmohamady, Gardner, Hepburn-Murphy, McCormack, Bree, Hogan, Lansbury, Nyland, and a load of U23 and U18 players still on the books, and no loanees.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2019, 12:25:17 PM »
A few of the youngsters on that list will get new deals, and you missed Green from the list.

Clark, Clarke, O'Hare and Green will, I suspect, all be retained, I'm less certain on the rest, the ones that are still with us need to work hard over the next few months and the ones who are away need to become indespensible to their loan club.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2019, 01:29:36 PM »
I don't see much point in trying to work out what the 11 will be just yet, it's best to focus on the squad we'll have, I think i did this on the Smith thread a couple of weeks ago:

GK (3)
Kalinic, Nyland, Sarkic

Right Back (3)
Bree, Elmo, Guilbert

Left Back (2)
Taylor, Clark

Centre Back (3)
Chester, Hause*, Mings*

Centre Mid (6)
Carroll*, Bjarnason, Hourihane, McGinn, Lansbury, Grealish

Wing (3)
Adomah, Green*, El Ghazi*

Strikers (4)
Kodjia, Hogan, Davis, Hepburn-Murphy

That's 24 which is probably about the right number of players with the U23s filling in the gaps during the season.

The loans are there because we supposedly have options on them so there's a reasonable chance of them staying and I've assumed a new deal for Green. I've taken out the kids who've either not player or only have a handful of appearances, RHM is right on the edge of that for me but I decided to include him.

I think Elmo, Taylor, Bjarnason, Adomah, Hogan and Kodjia could all be considered surplus by Smith so we'd be looking at 6 incomings for them and there's a fair chance that Grealish will go as well but I doubt McGinn will leave. That would see us looking to add a left back, centre back, defensive centre mid, 2 attacking midfielders/wingers along with a striker or 2 (this one depends on how he sees RHM).

Think we will definitely see a new LB arrive in the summer.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2019, 08:42:49 PM »
Out of contract at the end of the season;

Bunn, Elphick, Hutton, Jedinak, Richards, Steer, Whelan, De Laet, Clarke, Knibbs, Lyden, McKirdy, Mooney, O'Hare, Rowe, Suliman, Blackett-Taylor, Clark. + all of the loanees.

I know we have the options to sign Hause, Carroll and Mings, but if we don't go up, will the owners allow the spending? I personally think not, so if we are still a Championship side next season I'd imagine a line up thus;

Kalinic
Guilbert
Chester
Revan
Green
Taylor
McGinn
Hourihane
Grealish
Kodjia
Davis

With subs from :
Adomah, Bjarnason, Elmohamady, Gardner, Hepburn-Murphy, McCormack, Bree, Hogan, Lansbury, Nyland, and a load of U23 and U18 players still on the books, and no loanees.

I'm trying to work out if you are actually serious, especially with the bench you've selected, absolutely nuts and if this is our line up, I pledge to run the marathon.

Offline eddiemunster

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2019, 09:17:35 PM »
I'm trying to work out if you are actually serious, especially with the bench you've selected, absolutely nuts and if this is our line up, I pledge to run the marathon.
As I said, if we don't go up, the owners don't have to buy Hause, Carroll or Mings, or keep any of the list out of contract players. So yeah I am serious and in response to paul_e, I'm certain that Green is out of contract in 2020.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2019, 09:44:19 PM »
As I said, if we don't go up, the owners don't have to buy Hause, Carroll or Mings, or keep any of the list out of contract players. So yeah I am serious and in response to paul_e, I'm certain that Green is out of contract in 2020.

I was convinced I saw him on the list of expiring contracts that was going around a few weeks ago and a few sites have him listed as out of contract - here for example - in the summer but others have him listed as 2020.

Regardless of whether we go up or not I suspect Carroll and at least 1 of Hause or Mings will stay.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2019, 09:50:54 PM »
Kalinic

Guilbert VD Horn Mings Henry

Mcginn Hayden new signing

El Ghazi Maupay lolley

Couple of players from abroad so anyone's guess

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal