collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Tyrone Mings - signed permanently and confirmed as even more awesome  (Read 886192 times)

Offline Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
Re: Tyrone Mings - signed permanently and confirmed as even more awesome
« Reply #6375 on: May 24, 2023, 09:46:48 PM »
I do think Tyrone Mings deserves a call up to the England squad and would be a fitting tribute to acknowledge his season

Southgate names his sqaud for Euro 2024 qualifiers on Wednesday.

Called it when no one else did. ¡Muy bueno!

Offline RichardBatchelor

« Reply #6376 on: May 24, 2023, 10:07:12 PM »
Great player, great man.

Offline CT Villan

« Reply #6377 on: May 25, 2023, 02:20:21 AM »
As Spike Milligan once said, "About bloody time !"

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #6378 on: May 25, 2023, 07:09:09 AM »
He should never have been dropped. By Gerrard or Southgate.

Offline Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #6379 on: May 25, 2023, 08:06:05 AM »
Well done a deserved re-call.

StevieMe can look him in the eye from the BT sofa

Surely Stevie would be taking the credit. "look at him now after I made him a better player by removing the captaincy and dropping him!"

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #6380 on: May 25, 2023, 08:17:53 AM »
I don’t have a problem with him being dropped when he was, it is the total inconsistency that Southgate shows regarding squad selection, examples Maguire Phillips Mount , doesn’t matter what firm they are in he selects and plays them.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #6381 on: May 25, 2023, 11:48:36 AM »
I don’t have a problem with him being dropped when he was, it is the total inconsistency that Southgate shows regarding squad selection, examples Maguire Phillips Mount , doesn’t matter what firm they are in he selects and plays them.
Smith also dropped Mings.

I think Southgate wants some consistency and cannot simply overhaul the squad every time.
He has players who have performed for him and who he can trust. Same with any manager.

I don't think Southgate is the most ruthless of managers but he's one of the best England have ever had and his methods and selections have been more successful than failure in terms of progress.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2023, 11:50:14 AM by Footy-Vill »

Offline Paul.S

« Reply #6382 on: May 25, 2023, 12:40:21 PM »
Smith also dropped Mings.

I think Southgate wants some consistency and cannot simply overhaul the squad every time.
He has players who have performed for him and who he can trust. Same with any manager.

I don't think Southgate is the most ruthless of managers but he's one of the best England have ever had and his methods and selections have been more successful than failure in terms of progress.

I’m sure he can trust Maguire. Just like he did at the World Cup when he failed to mark his man for the winner. Maguire’s club form has resulted in him sitting on the bench for most of the season yet somehow he’s good enough for international football. The same goes for Phillips who’s had a few minutes.
He’s not been successful, he’s failed to prove he can change the game from the bench as proven in the last 3 tournaments. If you keep picking the same players you’ll get the same results and ultimately we fail when it comes to the crunch.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #6383 on: May 25, 2023, 01:20:47 PM »
I largely agree with Footy on that, but i would say that surely Maguire at this point should be fucked off out of it. Should have been a while ago in fact.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #6384 on: May 25, 2023, 01:21:23 PM »
The thing is, 90% of international football matches are against poor teams, so any reasonably competent manager should be able to organise almost any group of English Premier League level players to qualify for every tournament, and do well. Where it matters is against the better teams in the latter stages of tournaments, and that's where Southgate's lack of managerial nous and a backbone lets him down. He's been lucky to have some truly outstanding players during his time, eg Bellingham, Kane, Foden, Saka, Grealish and Rice but he relies on too many plonkers like Maguire, and he hasn't really got a set way of playing or the ability to bring the best out of players.

He didn't have much of a club management career, and what there was was shit, so he hasn't got that experience of how to change things when things aren't going to plan.

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #6385 on: May 25, 2023, 01:45:45 PM »
...but he relies on too many plonkers like Maguire, and he hasn't really got a set way of playing or the ability to bring the best out of players.

It's not like Maguire is keeping McGrath and Baresi out of the squad though.

England have got a dearth of quality at centre-back, and it's not particuarly obvious who the best ones are. You've got about half a dozen who go through a few months of brilliant form followed by a few months of Micah Richards impressions.  On form I'd say that the best two are Stones and Mings, but it's only a few months ago that both of them were figures of fun themselves.

The next ones of the conveyor belt (Tomori? Guehi?) have had pretty ropey seasons themselves. I wouldn't pick Maguire myself, but it's hardly crazy that Southgate continues to do so, given he's been completely fine for England whenever he's played regardless of his club form.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #6386 on: May 25, 2023, 01:53:39 PM »

The next ones of the conveyor belt (Tomori? Guehi?) have had pretty ropey seasons themselves. I wouldn't pick Maguire myself, but it's hardly crazy that Southgate continues to do so, given he's been completely fine for England whenever he's played regardless of his club form.

That's the point though. Maguire is fine when we're sticking 5 past the likes of Malta or whoever, because the rest of the team is usually good enough to compensate. When it comes to the crunch though, he isn't fine, as he's demonstrated on a few occasions. Also, while all other players might have indifferent seasons, at least they're playing regular football against top flight opposition. Maguire isn't, which also isn't going to help in the long run.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #6387 on: May 25, 2023, 02:18:22 PM »

That's the point though. Maguire is fine when we're sticking 5 past the likes of Malta or whoever, because the rest of the team is usually good enough to compensate. When it comes to the crunch though, he isn't fine, as he's demonstrated on a few occasions. Also, while all other players might have indifferent seasons, at least they're playing regular football against top flight opposition. Maguire isn't, which also isn't going to help in the long run.

Maguire has played well in the big tournaments though to be fair to Southgate. He's fine when he's sat on his 18 yard box with the likes of Rice ahead of him. That's the kind of cautious football Southgate wants. Mings has proved this season, really surprised me for one, that he is comfortable playing in a high line and a bit of cat and mouse on the ball with opponents. He has improved out of all recognition really under Emery. Much better athlete than Maguire too, Maguire is a liability on the turn.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #6388 on: May 25, 2023, 02:48:14 PM »

Maguire has played well in the big tournaments though to be fair to Southgate. He's fine when he's sat on his 18 yard box with the likes of Rice ahead of him. That's the kind of cautious football Southgate wants. Mings has proved this season, really surprised me for one, that he is comfortable playing in a high line and a bit of cat and mouse on the ball with opponents. He has improved out of all recognition really under Emery. Much better athlete than Maguire too, Maguire is a liability on the turn.

He's not only a liability on the turn, he gets himself in positions to get turned time and time again

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #6389 on: May 25, 2023, 02:57:07 PM »
Southgate proves time and time again that he is a very limited manager. He is also disingenuous to put it mildly. He has been blessed with a golden generation of talent and has not won anything because the biggest weakness in this England set up is Southgate.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal