collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dave
[Today at 10:46:19 AM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by chrisw1
[Today at 10:44:59 AM]

Season Tickets by amfy
[Today at 10:41:55 AM]

Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by Drummond
[Today at 10:04:29 AM]

Kits 24/25 by sid1964
[Today at 09:57:32 AM]

Ross Barkley: Coming back? by robleflaneur
[Today at 09:48:48 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by VillaTim
[June 03, 2024, 11:59:58 PM]

Cubs/Clarets membership by Pat McMahon
[June 03, 2024, 11:59:28 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dave
[Today at 10:46:19 AM]

Re: Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by chrisw1
[Today at 10:44:59 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Risso
[Today at 10:42:14 AM]

Re: Season Tickets by amfy
[Today at 10:41:55 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Smithy
[Today at 10:41:11 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Allan C
[Today at 10:39:34 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 10:37:59 AM]

Re: Season Tickets by Dogtanian
[Today at 10:36:42 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Tyrone Mings - signed permanently and confirmed as even more awesome  (Read 918270 times)

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
Re: Tyrone Mings - signed permanently and confirmed as even more awesome
« Reply #5100 on: August 07, 2022, 03:01:06 PM »
I'm baffled by this approach by the manager. If he doesn't want Mings at the club then put him on the transfer list like any other player. What he has done appears rather spiteful and vindictive and make me think that it's a clash of personalities rather than anything to do with the players ability.

Offline FatSam

« Reply #5101 on: August 07, 2022, 03:01:19 PM »
It's really not that hard to find a rick from Mings. I'm not saying that Konsa is the answer, but let's not pretend that a whole load of goals didn't come from a Mings fuck up last season.
He also had no protection from midfield, which I would argue was far more of an issue than his mistakes.

Offline Paul.S

« Reply #5102 on: August 07, 2022, 03:03:21 PM »
We have competition for places now and someone’s got to be left out. I’m sure Mings will get his chance as will Chambers at some point. I don’t see why everything’s got to be personal when someone’s left out.

Online Nev

« Reply #5103 on: August 07, 2022, 03:07:34 PM »
We have competition for places now and someone’s got to be left out. I’m sure Mings will get his chance as will Chambers at some point. I don’t see why everything’s got to be personal when someone’s left out.

It's not his non-selection that is raising eyebrows, it's the stripping of the Captaincy and questioning his attitude in public.

Offline Paul.S

« Reply #5104 on: August 07, 2022, 03:52:04 PM »
I’ve not heard him questioning him in public so I’ll have to look at that one. I also don’t know what goes on behind the scenes either. I’m not defending Gerrard and I agree a coach shouldn’t air any dirty laundry in public. Gerrard does have the right to choose any captain he wants though, I’ve no issue with that at all. I’m sure Mings will show his metal and work his way back into the team.

Online Nev

« Reply #5105 on: August 07, 2022, 03:56:25 PM »
I’ve not heard him questioning him in public so I’ll have to look at that one. I also don’t know what goes on behind the scenes either. I’m not defending Gerrard and I agree a coach shouldn’t air any dirty laundry in public. Gerrard does have the right to choose any captain he wants though, I’ve no issue with that at all. I’m sure Mings will show his metal and work his way back into the team.

I'm refering to the "look me in the eye" quote yesterday.

Online Stinkin_Thinkin

« Reply #5106 on: August 07, 2022, 04:07:59 PM »
If you want to phase Mings out get a true upgrade in, preferably with prem experience. I expected a Gomez or Coady or Dunk type signing.
Diego Carlos had a baptism of fire yesterday certainly looked like a guy playing his first ever prem game. Took months for Luiz to speed when he arrived, same with Wesley. Unless Mings is leaving, the Carlos signing doesn't make sense to me, he's not a kid he's 29. Keifer Moore roughed him up and so did Bamford in preseason.
Everyone knows Mings is a solid prem player who looks immense for 4 games then makes a massive blooper in the 5th game to wipe out his prior good performances in the minds of some.  Smith tried dropping him and now Gerrard, but they still havn't replaced him.

Offline Paul.S

« Reply #5107 on: August 07, 2022, 04:19:48 PM »
Have you got a link to that interview Nev?

Online Nev

« Reply #5108 on: August 07, 2022, 04:50:41 PM »

I'm not clever enough but if you go Radio WM's twitter feed he's quoted on there.

Offline villainabroad

« Reply #5110 on: August 07, 2022, 05:01:35 PM »
He said: 'When Tyrone is back at his best and looks me in the eye and shows me he’s ready to play, he’ll get opportunities.'

I've only just seen this. I really don't mind if we get rid of Mings and Carlos (with time - though not too much!) steps up and improves on him. But SG talking like that about any of our players would give a bad vibe. About Mings - just dumped from captaincy and dropped, and seemingly a decent bloke, not a Gabby type - it stinks.

'Looks me in the eye' - what the f*ck does that mean? Only when he's 'man enough' to speak to me? Really pathetic to come out with a quote like that.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #5111 on: August 07, 2022, 05:19:27 PM »
Implies a requirement for honesty. Mings saying he's fine when he is likely not.

Bit harsh there. Mings could hardly come out and say he thought being stripped of captaincy was completely the wrong decision otherwise that would disrupt things so he's had to play the PR game which is understandble.

My hunch is Gerrard called Mings out in the dressing room after the Man. City game and he made the decision there and then although he probably should've announced it earlier in the pre season.

I think Mings should be back in for Everton as one thing you do lose is people actually talking in the backline. Konsa too quiet and Diego obviously limited english. Infact from the last six months it's bizarre Chambers is behind Konsa in pecking order as he's been really good in the starts he's had for us.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #5112 on: August 07, 2022, 05:20:47 PM »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0crkvk0?partner=uk.co.bbc&origin=share-mobile

Thanks. I had only seen the 'looks me in the eye' quote.

'I can assure you that we didn't lose that game because Tyrone Mings wasn't playing' is a shocker. Firstly, it might well have been because Mings tends to clear his lines a lot more effectively than yesterday's defence did for both goals. Second, what a shit thing to say.

That relationship looks broken to me. I hope Mings stays here longer than the manager does. I doubt whether he will though.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #5113 on: August 07, 2022, 05:25:49 PM »
My guess is that he will be sold this window.

Online Dogtanian

• GM : 06.06.2024
« Reply #5114 on: August 07, 2022, 05:26:09 PM »
I think we are a better team with Mings than we are without him. Yes, there are better defenders out there, but he’s currently the most proven and reliable defender we have at the club.

Would we have won yesterday with him in the team? I don’t know, but I think we would have had a better shot at keeping out both their goals.

One of Gerrard’s reasons for changing captain was so Mings could focus on his own game and improve his performances. Today was surely the ideal time to prove that was the right decision. It was a mistake to leave him out.

Tyrone Mings can affect a game positively for us, he’s proven this. Steven Gerrard hasn’t. Let’s see if the man is self-aware enough to make some changes to improve his own performance in time for Everton and if he’s strong enough to admit he made a mistake.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 05:31:06 PM by Dogtanian »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal