collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bears/Pears/Domestic Cricket Thread 2019  (Read 57894 times)

Offline Villafirst

Re: Bears/Pears/Domestic Cricket Thread 2019
« Reply #75 on: April 23, 2019, 08:35:26 PM »
Disappointed with Giles to be honest - didn't Lancs release him so he could join the Bears and be closer to his family? Surely the England role will take him much further afield, ie. Overseas??

Online Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #76 on: April 23, 2019, 09:44:46 PM »
Disappointed with Giles to be honest - didn't Lancs release him so he could join the Bears and be closer to his family? Surely the England role will take him much further afield, ie. Overseas??

Why wouldn’t he go for one of the top jobs in English cricket? He had a sense of unfinished business with England.

When he came back to the Bears he inherited a squad from Dougie Brown that was too big and too old. He was part way through his rebuilding plan when the England job came up, now that wasn’t the best timing for the Bears but I can see why he took the England job.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #77 on: April 23, 2019, 09:47:57 PM »

Why wouldn’t he go for one of the top jobs in English cricket? He had a sense of unfinished business with England.

When he came back to the Bears he inherited a squad from Dougie Brown that was too big and too old. He was part way through his rebuilding plan when the England job came up, now that wasn’t the best timing for the Bears but I can see why he took the England job.

Yes, but the reason he wanted the move back to the Midlands was for family reasons?

Online Villan For Life

« Reply #78 on: April 23, 2019, 09:54:29 PM »

Yes, but the reason he wanted the move back to the Midlands was for family reasons?

It was more the lure of a completely new role at Edgbaston as director of cricket, he wasn’t coach. However as his family still live in the area I’m sure that was also a factor.

As a professional cricketer, then coach, then director of cricket I’m sure he’s used to living out of a suitcase anyway.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #79 on: April 24, 2019, 12:07:20 PM »
A terrible start to the season. Bottom of both tables! Injuries have really affected the team which is relying on too many youngsters, but poor decision making from the management in terms of experience - especially releasing Keith Barker too early.

Looks like it is going to be a very long season at this rate.  The line up looks pretty weak without Bell, Woakes and Stone, and the recruitment in the close season doesn't look to have been near the standard required so far.   

Online Villan For Life

« Reply #80 on: April 24, 2019, 01:41:20 PM »
A terrible start to the season. Bottom of both tables! Injuries have really affected the team which is relying on too many youngsters, but poor decision making from the management in terms of experience - especially releasing Keith Barker too early.
the recruitment in the close season doesn't look to have been near the standard required so far.   

That's a bit harsh considering Norwell hasn't played yet and Miles has appeared twice!

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #81 on: April 24, 2019, 07:11:56 PM »
No bad feeling towards Giles at all.  He was offered the top job and he took it.  It's up to those still at the club to do a good job.  This season was always going to be tricky: transition from Div 2 to Div 1; transition from Giles to Farbrace; transition from older squad to much younger squad; loss of several senior players.

Having said that I wasn't expecting it to be quite this bad quite this quickly.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #82 on: April 25, 2019, 06:47:47 AM »
I got an email from Gloucestershire a few weeks ago telling me about the exciting signing of an international star. It was some fucker who plays for Scotland.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #83 on: April 25, 2019, 11:15:11 AM »
I got an email from Gloucestershire a few weeks ago telling me about the exciting signing of an international star. It was some fucker who plays for Scotland.
That's what Clubcall used to be like, back in the day.

Offline PGW

• Villan, Bear and now Cancer Warrior
« Reply #84 on: April 26, 2019, 12:34:06 PM »
Lost toss this morning and have been put in.
I haven't gone down with threat of rain resorting to watching at home
112/2 25.3

https://warwickshireccc.com/fixtures/first-xi/warwickshire-vs-durham-26th-april-2019/

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #85 on: April 26, 2019, 01:21:39 PM »
Shite again.

Offline PGW

• Villan, Bear and now Cancer Warrior
« Reply #86 on: April 26, 2019, 02:59:06 PM »
244/8
3 x 50's but no-one going on to make the difference.
All to do.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #87 on: April 26, 2019, 06:50:41 PM »
Another heavy defeat. Team is awful.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #88 on: April 26, 2019, 06:55:09 PM »
Keith Barker not even featuring for Hampshire??

Online Villan For Life

« Reply #89 on: April 26, 2019, 07:18:09 PM »
Keith Barker not even featuring for Hampshire??

He wasn’t an automatic pick for the Bears in white ball cricket, so it’s hardly surprising that Hampshire haven’t selected him.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal