collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by OCD
[Today at 10:40:29 AM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by Risso
[Today at 10:40:09 AM]

Re: GUESS THE CROWD R27; Europa Conf🏆SF VILLA v Olympiacos, Thurs 2nd May!🥧 by Rotterdam
[Today at 10:35:10 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by PaulWinch again
[Today at 10:31:59 AM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by Dave
[Today at 10:27:30 AM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by paul_e
[Today at 10:25:46 AM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:24:40 AM]

Re: Loanwatch 2023/24 by johnc
[Today at 10:22:47 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Lowest point.  (Read 13821 times)

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
Re: Lowest point.
« Reply #105 on: January 14, 2019, 12:11:37 PM »
People will predict we'll win 5 as it matters not, so why not imagine you'll win rather than lose?

It's a bit like Glenn McGrath predicting before every Ashes series that Australia would win 5-0, i.e. meaningless, self-noshing bluster that made him look like a pillock.

I think McGrath was having a bit of fun. No harm in it and if people wanted get wound up by it, then more fool them.

McGrath may have had a bit more certainty when he was playing with his predictions given how good they were, but nobody knows what will happen. I make predictions based on what I hope/want will happen myself, as its meaningless whether I scratch my chin for half an hour pondering it or just put down any old prediction.

Offline pooligan

• Villa till i die
« Reply #106 on: January 14, 2019, 12:16:16 PM »
I can accept losing if every player shows desire,passion and gives every thing .With the exception of Kalinic and McGinn the rest on Saturday did not give the impression that they were bothered.Wigan won more or less every 50-50 and it was obvious they wanted it far more than we did .

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #107 on: January 14, 2019, 12:30:14 PM »
Glenn McGrath – I saw an interview with him on telly a good few years ago, talking about his hatred of England and he said that, even though his wife ( at the time) was English, the only English sports shirts he allows his kids to wear are……Villa shirts. I couldn’t believe it. Maybe a throwback to when he played at Worcs?

Also, I remember seeing him at Lye cricket ground once, which is shared with Lye Town FC’s ground, many many years ago and he said “ I like Lye”, so he clearly has a screw loose

Offline Ads

« Reply #108 on: January 14, 2019, 12:33:06 PM »
One thing I always remember about him too. He sounded a decent guy on TMS to me and does a lot of work with the cancer charity he set up. He must have loved a curry up Lye!

There's always queue of people looking to get upset about something, more fool them if something as meaningless as a prediction hurts their sensibilities.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #109 on: January 14, 2019, 12:33:19 PM »
Glenn McGrath – I saw an interview with him on telly a good few years ago, talking about his hatred of England and he said that, even though his wife ( at the time) was English, the only English sports shirts he allows his kids to wear are……Villa shirts. I couldn’t believe it. Maybe a throwback to when he played at Worcs?

Also, I remember seeing him at Lye cricket ground once, which is shared with Lye Town FC’s ground, many many years ago and he said “ I like Lye”, so he clearly has a screw loose

His late wife was a Villa fan.

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #110 on: January 14, 2019, 12:40:01 PM »

His late wife was a Villa fan.

There you go. I was beginning to think I’d dreamt the whole thing

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #111 on: January 14, 2019, 12:44:14 PM »
Lowest point? Definitely not. Struggling under Di Matteo at the start of season where we knew we would need to win in order to have any chance of getting out of the Championship in good time was the lowest point for me. What worries me more than our recent results is that fact that we evidently have nothing coming through the youth team, or else surely Smith would be playing them. Given his record at Brentford, where he worked wonders with less than stellar talent, you'd think he'd sit the likes of Hourihane, El Ghazi, Hutton down and play some of the youngsters instead. To me it looks like a very bad sign indeed if he isn't.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #112 on: January 14, 2019, 12:45:46 PM »
Exactly
Exactly twice. I don't get this "if they are ready"  argument. If they are not ready what have we been doing, what's the point of the academy and U23 team? So far BH have not delivered much whilst likes of Leeds are dominating this League with loads of kids in their squad.
But if they're not ready then they aren't an option are they and that's where we find ourselves right now. Long term it's down to the club to try and improve the academy. I watched the U23's beat Yanited 5-1 and they looked great but star of the show was O'hare who was bundled out of the game against Swansea. Deano and co have a huge task ahead and we need improvement from the youth academy right through to the first team and it will take time.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #113 on: January 14, 2019, 01:01:01 PM »
If our youth are not ready, then why did we sign Hause from Wolves U23 side and judging by Saturday he does not look to good?

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #114 on: January 14, 2019, 01:09:55 PM »
If our youth are not ready, then why did we sign Hause from Wolves U23 side and judging by Saturday he does not look to good?

He’s 23 and has played more than 50 times in the Championship.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #115 on: January 14, 2019, 01:16:44 PM »

No you're right, 27 minutes is plenty of time to judge a 23 year-old, on debut, who's had the opportunity to train with his teammates for less than a week.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #116 on: January 14, 2019, 01:24:06 PM »
I would say that the forty years from 1935-75, a period that included four relegations to balance against four top six finishes (all of them in the first half of that time) and an FA Cup win was pretty dismal.

Plus two League Cups.

Offline Villa75

« Reply #117 on: January 14, 2019, 01:32:43 PM »
One thing I always remember about him too. He sounded a decent guy on TMS to me and does a lot of work with the cancer charity he set up. He must have loved a curry up Lye!

There's always queue of people looking to get upset about something, more fool them if something as meaningless as a prediction hurts their sensibilities.

I certainly don't get upset at your constantly failing predictions. In fact, it's the complete opposite. They give me a chuckle. Normally the only silver lining to Villa's latest failing, or our rivals latest triumph.👍

Offline Ads

« Reply #118 on: January 14, 2019, 03:31:30 PM »
I'm talking about Glenn McGrath. You're a bit conceited aren't you?

If I make you chuckle, all the better. There's never a shortage of people on here willing to inflate my ego by ascribing importance to my online meandering and lollygagging.

I have to say, the last thing I thought of on Saturday was what Clampy or Drummond or Risso thought pre-Wigan.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #119 on: January 14, 2019, 03:43:28 PM »
I'm talking about Glenn McGrath. You're a bit conceited aren't you?

If I make you chuckle, all the better. There's never a shortage of people on here willing to inflate my ego by ascribing importance to my online meandering and lollygagging.

I have to say, the last thing I thought of on Saturday was what Clampy or Drummond or Risso thought pre-Wigan.

Bastard.

My thoughts should be uppermost in your mind.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal