collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Lowest point.  (Read 13818 times)

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
Re: Lowest point.
« Reply #90 on: January 13, 2019, 10:44:17 PM »
May I ask a question to stimulate additional debate?  Is the term 'low point' connected to a sort of depression, a mood and a feeling of 'this is the worst it's been for Villa?' If so, I'd say that's not how I'm feeling.  I feel angry, a completely different emotion to a mood, I think.  Angry that the culmination of piss poor management and general piss taking by players not giving enough has left us where we are today. 12th in a very very ordinary league.  I am angry at what we've become and the lack of signs that it's changing any time soon. We are wank and I think the fan base both knows it and is beginning to show it.

Offline Villa75

« Reply #91 on: January 13, 2019, 11:39:04 PM »
One game is one game, and plenty of excuses can be found as to why "X, Y, and Z was worse".

As I said earlier, it's years and years of disappointment upon disappointment that brought me to this low point. The worst period of sustained shit in my lifetime.

Offline Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #92 on: January 14, 2019, 01:47:49 AM »
I'm not sure this is the lowest I've felt as a supporter. That would probably have been 03/03/03 or the Stoke 2-2.

But I think this is the most disengaged and apathetic I have felt. I'm just not certain what our identity is any more; we are just the club who try to spend their way out of trouble, or sack the manager, or find new owners, and whatever we do, none of it seems to work.

But I have found that since we were relegated I have absolutely no interest in any football beyond Villa, so perhaps the apathy is entirely my own.

Online sid1964

« Reply #93 on: January 14, 2019, 07:00:23 AM »
Why should the players really care - if you are on £30k+ per week, and have a 2-3 year contract playing in the Championship, why would you want to get out of your comfort zone and strive to get into the premier league.

The only person under pressure at Villa is Dean Smith, and if he fails the next manager will be faced with exactly the same problem

We need to stop trying to spend our way out of this division and give our home grown young lads a chance , otherwise what is the point of having the under 23 team?

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #94 on: January 14, 2019, 08:28:19 AM »
Exactly

Offline The Edge

« Reply #95 on: January 14, 2019, 08:44:56 AM »
Exactly
If they're ready they'll be picked. And you can't not have an under 23 side. Look at the clamour for Callum O'hare to get in the team. He got his chance against Swansea then basically got bullied for an hour before being subbed followed by ridiculous round of booing from the stands. Dean Smith would be delighted if he could just dip into the U23's and pick out a gold nugget but it ain't that simple.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #96 on: January 14, 2019, 08:45:52 AM »
Thank you for helping me clear the fog from my ancient memory PWS.  The game that gives me nightmares was in 1959 but it was at The Hawthorns not Villa Park.  Back in the days of all standing grounds my brothers and I would always stand in the same part of the terraces home and away.  The poignant thing about that Baggies game was that we got Jimmy Dugdale from them.

Offline cdward

« Reply #97 on: January 14, 2019, 08:49:35 AM »
My personal low point was the 6-0 defeat to Liverpool. It just felt so depressing.

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #98 on: January 14, 2019, 10:19:40 AM »
It was a low point for me to hear Wigan fans singing how shit Villa are.
Wigan ffs

Offline The Edge

« Reply #99 on: January 14, 2019, 10:43:05 AM »
Wigan ffs
Yeah that was a kick in the nutsack. And no response from our end. In the last 2 games the fans have been as utterly lethargic as the players.

Online sid1964

« Reply #100 on: January 14, 2019, 11:03:56 AM »
Where the Wigan fans singing that before the game began!

In the summer we need to have a major clear out of players, the only problem is the one's who have a contract for next season, who would want them?

Offline The Edge

« Reply #101 on: January 14, 2019, 11:14:10 AM »
Where the Wigan fans singing that before the game began!

In the summer we need to have a major clear out of players, the only problem is the one's who have a contract for next season, who would want them?
Which is precisely why the club have to give Deano plenty of time to rectify the alarming discrepancies in the squad. Anyone calling for his head already (apparently on social media) need to get a fuckin grip imho.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #102 on: January 14, 2019, 11:26:16 AM »
Wigan ffs
Yes, I think that's what really hit me in the pit of my stomach.
Villa fans were quiet because there is a realisation that we're really not very good at the moment; and that it's going to take a while for the issues to be flushed through the system.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #103 on: January 14, 2019, 11:29:27 AM »
Exactly
Exactly twice. I don't get this "if they are ready"  argument. If they are not ready what have we been doing, what's the point of the academy and U23 team? So far BH have not delivered much whilst likes of Leeds are dominating this League with loads of kids in their squad.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #104 on: January 14, 2019, 11:31:18 AM »
People will predict we'll win 5 as it matters not, so why not imagine you'll win rather than lose?

It's a bit like Glenn McGrath predicting before every Ashes series that Australia would win 5-0, i.e. meaningless, self-noshing bluster that made him look like a pillock.
Well said h_c. The other teams in this League are not mince as we have found out over the last 3 seasons.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal