collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Robin Olsen by Clark W Griswold
[Today at 03:55:47 PM]

FFP by Lsvilla
[Today at 03:53:21 PM]

Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by Demitri_C
[Today at 03:53:05 PM]

VAR by Somniloquism
[Today at 03:49:31 PM]

Champions League Contention by Demitri_C
[Today at 03:49:01 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by ExclDawg
[Today at 03:34:52 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Drummond
[Today at 03:31:50 PM]

Official Website by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 02:50:07 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Robin Olsen by Clark W Griswold
[Today at 03:55:47 PM]

Re: Robin Olsen by Hookeysmith
[Today at 03:54:12 PM]

Re: FFP by Lsvilla
[Today at 03:53:21 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by Demitri_C
[Today at 03:53:05 PM]

Re: FFP by LeeB
[Today at 03:52:33 PM]

Re: FFP by aev
[Today at 03:51:02 PM]

Re: FFP by Demitri_C
[Today at 03:50:32 PM]

Re: VAR by Somniloquism
[Today at 03:49:31 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Lowest point.  (Read 13834 times)

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
Re: Lowest point.
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2019, 01:43:22 PM »
Wow, this is a bit over dramatic. We are in a bad run but it’s hardly the lowest point. A few good results and this will be forgotten about.

Offline Pete3206

« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2019, 02:03:23 PM »
The mind boggles. A few weeks ago, Dean Smith was the dog's bollocks with seemingly no one to stand in our way of play offs or better.

The honeymoon is gone, yes and Smith has made some calamitous decisions lately. But, the season is far from over.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2019, 02:13:22 PM »
A few good results and this will be forgotten about.

Therein lies the problem though.  The run starting with Preston was supposed to be "easy".  So far, we've got 2 points from 9, with a massively in form Hull up next.  Never mind catching up with the top 2, even 5th and above looks like disappearing over the horizon soon.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2019, 02:14:24 PM »
This is bad but it's nowhere near as bad as 86-7, stood there with 12,000 others rattling around in the ground watching European champions of four years previous decay in front of your eyes in what seemed like a wanton act of self harm.

I am old enough to have been around during the descent into the third division but too young to remember it but for all the nostalgia of taking 300,000 to Port Vale, I bet the long term decay that led to that wasn't much fun either.

The lowest point for me was being part of a crowd of about 5,500 at Selhurst Park on Easter Monday 1987 when we lost a vital relegation six pointer 3-0 to Charlton. That for me was the day we went down even though technically we weren't mathematically down at that point.

Despite much competition in the past 7-8 years that day at Charlton remains the worst Villa performance I have seen. It was a must win game and we were hammered by shit opponents. That season was awful but we did throw ina few decent performances and I felt that at least the players cared.

The worst in the last few years I have seen for myself was the 0-3 home defeat to Wigan in the 15-0 week, as they were absolutely dire themselves too. Lambert should have gone then, though to be fair he pulled it around at the tail end of the season.  I imagine the 0-6 at home to Liverpool in our relegation season topped that.

Both of those relegation season were hopeless. This time, because of the quality and nature of this division, we still have a plausible shout of reaching the play offs ( based on position and remaining games, not our form). I don’t have confidence we will do that based on current form but a 5 point deficit in this league can in theory be turned around in a week.

My biggest concern is that at the moment the players don’t seem like they are ready to scrap. No matter what division and what your ability that should be a given.

Offline Dave P

« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2019, 02:23:57 PM »

Therein lies the problem though.  The run starting with Preston was supposed to be "easy".  So far, we've got 2 points from 9, with a massively in form Hull up next.  Never mind catching up with the top 2, even 5th and above looks like disappearing over the horizon soon.

But 5th isn’t over the horizon. We could be 5th in 4 games time. Not underlying how disappointing yesterday or the past few weeks have been, but it’s far from our lowest point.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2019, 02:27:08 PM »

But 5th isn’t over the horizon. We could be 5th in 4 games time. Not underlying how disappointing yesterday or the past few weeks have been, but it’s far from our lowest point.

We could be, but won't be.

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2019, 03:10:48 PM »
Be going for 50 years now and i'm not sure if yesterday was the low point as we have had a few in those years. But thinking back i cant remember a performance where only one player gave 100% which was what happened yesterday. Over the years we have had poor player's and teams but at least a few of them used to put a shift in no matter how technically poor they were.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2019, 03:27:29 PM »

That performance yesterday was as bad as Coventry boxing day 1992

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2019, 03:36:25 PM »

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2019, 03:58:36 PM »
To be fair, as shit runs go, this is bang average. 2 defeats in 13.

Offline Villa75

« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2019, 04:07:04 PM »
1 win in 8.

Considering we're in the 2nd Division, and the opposition, that's pretty shit.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 04:12:03 PM by Villa75 »

Offline Ads

« Reply #71 on: January 13, 2019, 04:10:59 PM »
Yes it's a shit run. But we've all suffered much shitter. The winter of 2012/13. Holy Christ on the fucking cross but that stomp back up the Kings Road was a desperate one. I consoled myself with the fact we'd bounce back against Wigan and maybe have some confidence against Spurs. Plus we'd breeze past Bradford and that journey from Penrith to Sarf of the River on a Friday night would be tempered with us making the 4th round.

Now we're talking shit fucking runs.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2019, 04:11:54 PM »
Yersterday was a shit, low point.

Until the next one.

Offline Allan C

« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2019, 04:34:40 PM »
Nice words, Chris. But I've read similar, a number of times, about all of our failures over the last, God knows how many, years.

We can't sugar coat that performance, on the back of the Swansea one. In simple terms, the manager has had no positive reaction from the players since Swansea, and we have to be very concerned about that.

I'm pretty sure this squad has been lauded as "the best in the division", many times by many on here.

I have recently posted, somewhat tongue in cheek, about the many predictions of "15 points from the next 5 games" . But why would so many predict that if, as it transpires following yesterday's game, we actually have a "poor" squad?

For me, we have a decent squad for the division we are in - as well we should have after the time and money spent on it - and we should never really be out of the top 6.

The fact we're struggling so much has to be down to how this squad is being managed and motivated. My worry is this. Now the honeymoon is over, do the players think they've been given another dud/easy ride? Once that happens, we're fucked.
I think you are overrating the squad V75. It’s average at best IMO with the exception of Grealish. Leeds have been referenced several times recently on various threads. How many of the team that started yesterday would replace any player in their side?? Yesterday was a shocker but I’ve seen a fair few poor displays over the years notably the home defeat against Charlton 0-1 in 1989, even Charltons goal was a joke

Offline Ads

« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2019, 05:22:05 PM »
People will predict we'll win 5 as it matters not, so why not imagine you'll win rather than lose?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal