collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by eamonn
[Today at 10:02:19 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by aj2k77
[Today at 10:01:26 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by LeeB
[Today at 10:00:03 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by olaftab
[Today at 09:57:10 AM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by chrisw1
[Today at 09:56:02 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by john e
[Today at 09:55:13 AM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:55:00 AM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by brontebilly
[Today at 09:53:18 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Mark Bosnich  (Read 7052 times)

Online Deano's Mullet

Mark Bosnich
« on: January 12, 2019, 02:41:12 PM »
Special focus on Bozzie in this month's Four Four Two Magazine and he reflects quite a bit on life at Villa. Loved him, he made goalkeepers seem cool, especially in that rainbow Muller top. There can't be many keepers that save seven penalties in one season. Was it seven? Ian Wright, Bebeto,  Spurs X 2 and Tranmere X 3. Any more?
Still think his save vs Peacock in  1995 Vs Chelsea was amazing and people mention one Vs Moldovan of Coventry too. And of course he turned a Hughes volley round the post to stop it becoming 2-2 at Wembley. What a time that was to be a Villa fan.

Offline Behind Bluenose Lines

• Location: Hanging on in Quiet Desperation During a Global Pandemic
  • GM : 28.06.2024
Re: Mark Bosnich
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 02:53:18 PM »
Indeed it was. When he made that save, I knew in that moment we were going to win the cup.

BTW, VERY Belated Happy New Year all!

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 02:58:33 PM »
The save I always remember was against Coventry where as I recall he was diving one way and the ball took a deflection - he seemed to stop mid-air and save with his feet - was that the Moldovan one you mention??

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 03:01:10 PM »
It was from Soltvedt not Moldovan.

Online Deano's Mullet

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 03:04:49 PM »
The save I always remember was against Coventry where as I recall he was diving one way and the ball took a deflection - he seemed to stop mid-air and save with his feet - was that the Moldovan one you mention??

Yes I think so. The Peacock one is more vivid in my memory though. I'm also remembering some daft stuff he did too - flapping at a Norwich cross which led to the craziest goal mouth scramble I can remember, and running out of his goal trying to catch a ball almost in the centre circle at QPR. Both led to goals for the opposition. And of course the night he flattened Klinsmann - same night as the Cantona Kung Fu kick.

Online Deano's Mullet

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2019, 03:05:48 PM »
It was from Soltvedt not Moldovan.

Ah yes. It was Moldovan who scored.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2019, 04:09:37 PM »
Special focus on Bozzie in this month's Four Four Two Magazine and he reflects quite a bit on life at Villa. Loved him, he made goalkeepers seem cool, especially in that rainbow Muller top. There can't be many keepers that save seven penalties in one season. Was it seven? Ian Wright, Bebeto,  Spurs X 2 and Tranmere X 3. Any more?
Still think his save vs Peacock in  1995 Vs Chelsea was amazing and people mention one Vs Moldovan of Coventry too. And of course he turned a Hughes volley round the post to stop it becoming 2-2 at Wembley. What a time that was to be a Villa fan.

He saved a penalty at the sty in the first leg of the Coca Cola cup tie and our first game on the way to winning it. I think Spink had got injured whilst conceding the penalty so Bosnich came on and his first action was to save it. I think John Frain took the pen. I met Bosnich once at Dwight Yorke's 21st birthday party (my cousin lived next door to Yorke in Shustoke and I went as her guest as her boyfriend couldn't make it). I had been to Australia a few years before so I was talking to Bosnich about his home country. He was a really nice guy.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2019, 06:09:05 PM »

He saved a penalty at the sty in the first leg of the Coca Cola cup tie and our first game on the way to winning it. I think Spink had got injured whilst conceding the penalty so Bosnich came on and his first action was to save it. I think John Frain took the pen. I met Bosnich once at Dwight Yorke's 21st birthday party (my cousin lived next door to Yorke in Shustoke and I went as her guest as her boyfriend couldn't make it). I had been to Australia a few years before so I was talking to Bosnich about his home country. He was a really nice guy.

Highlights of that game on Villaboy's Youtube channel.

Online Deano's Mullet

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2019, 08:53:48 PM »
After today I could watch all those old nineties clips and cry my eyes out. Did it ever happen?

Offline Kimaster1976

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2019, 09:07:18 PM »
The game I always remember was the 4-1 victory at Sunderland on route to winning the cup in '94. They absolutely battered us from start to finish at the the old Roker Park.

Bosnich was simply out of this world save after save after save. At one point the Sunderland forwards were just stood there looking at him in bewilderment going wtf how is he doing this.

Big Ron stated Bosnich could very well be the worlds best after the Deportivo Uefa Cup game that same season. Had he kept any kind of sane head on his shoulders he certainly would have gone close to being so.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2019, 08:40:25 AM »
Saw him make his debut at Luton, we lost 2-0. We nearly always lose there. Sat in the nasty ramshackle stand behind the goal in that rundown broken up ground that looks like dismantled lego pieces singing "Aussies Number One!"

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2019, 09:11:43 AM »
Saw him make his debut at Luton, we lost 2-0. We nearly always lose there. Sat in the nasty ramshackle stand behind the goal in that rundown broken up ground that looks like dismantled lego pieces singing "Aussies Number One!"

I was there that day too.

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2019, 09:59:17 AM »
I was a White Hart Lane when he did his Nazi salute. It’s his birthday today, by the way

Offline Damo70

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2019, 11:52:44 AM »
The game I always remember was the 4-1 victory at Sunderland on route to winning the cup in '94. They absolutely battered us from start to finish at the the old Roker Park.

Bosnich was simply out of this world save after save after save. At one point the Sunderland forwards were just stood there looking at him in bewilderment going wtf how is he doing this.

Big Ron stated Bosnich could very well be the worlds best after the Deportivo Uefa Cup game that same season. Had he kept any kind of sane head on his shoulders he certainly would have gone close to being so.

That Sunderland performance was the best goalkeeping performance I have ever witnessed. They actually battered us 1-4 that night! Bosnich and Dalian won the game on their own for us.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2019, 11:55:59 AM »

I was there that day too.

I was there that day too. It was the only time I have seen us play at Luton. Unless you count 1986-1987 when I paid to watch us play them on a big screen at the Villa leisure centre with half time and full time summary by  the injured Andy Blair with  microphone.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal