collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:37:00 AM]

Champions League Contention by tomd2103
[Today at 01:30:59 AM]

Calum Chambers -signed by tomd2103
[Today at 12:44:09 AM]

Snooker by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:41:07 AM]

Kits 23/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:39:26 AM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:10:47 AM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:05:56 AM]

Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by DrGonzo
[April 29, 2024, 10:59:54 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:37:00 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by tomd2103
[Today at 01:30:59 AM]

Re: FFP by tomd2103
[Today at 01:26:18 AM]

Re: FFP by tomd2103
[Today at 01:10:15 AM]

Re: Calum Chambers -signed by tomd2103
[Today at 12:44:09 AM]

Re: Snooker by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:41:07 AM]

Re: Kits 23/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:39:26 AM]

Re: Calum Chambers -signed by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:37:42 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Deano’s wishlist - the Jan transfer speculation/guaranteed nonsense thread  (Read 316694 times)

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
Re: Deano’s wishlist - the Jan transfer speculation/guaranteed nonsense thread
« Reply #2235 on: February 01, 2019, 09:57:15 AM »
The reality has set in.

The transfer dealings indicate to me the window was all about cost cutting.

Previous winter windows were buying the best midfielders or striker in this division , champions League midfielder. 
Other windows seen us be envy of the league with players who probably only drop division for villa.

This time it's under whelming.
Expectations are being quashed

The biggest signing (literally) of Kalinic the now Croatia number one seems like it was a deal re-cycled.

It wasn't perhaps one that was thought of from this regime just an existing player from an old scout list or arranged contact with his agent .

What we did in previous windows did not work, we spent a fortune and we are still stuck in the Championship. It now appears that we are planning and building rather than just throwing money at it.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #2236 on: February 01, 2019, 09:59:16 AM »
We were the real envy of the league when we signed BB, Hourihane, Landsbury and Hogan. Then got twatted 3-0 at Brentford and had an awful run, finishing 13th.

I don't really care if the signings get you firm of the loin. We've scores 50 plus goals. We're already very good going forwards.

Defensively we're shite.

We've improved the goal keeper. His kick is suss, but he makes me feel a lot more confident than Nyland.

We've signed two utility left sided players, both 6' 3". One of which in Mings is fit to start and hopefully will give Chester a much needed break.

Elphick has returned and looked...good?! Which is a pleasant surprise.

We've not improved on Taylor and we've not got the physical specimen I personally would have liked in midfield. But we have a player that suits the way Smith played with a passing metronome at the base of the midfield. Maybe Axel will play there?

It could have been better, but I feel we're stronger than we were before. Surely now we can cut out the stupid errors with two fit centre halves. I hope.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #2237 on: February 01, 2019, 10:33:29 AM »
Have to ask what people were expecting. We're a Championship side and have to plan as though we will be to next year too, when we'll have to work on a smaller budget and comply with FFP rules. It appears as though we're being run sensibly.

I'm sure the squad that starts next season will be massively different to this season. The wage bill will be down, the squad will be a lot more youthful, we'll play more as a balanced team, we'll own more players outright so we'll look more like a team and Smith will have had a full pre-season with them.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #2238 on: February 01, 2019, 10:37:02 AM »
Really needed to get our transfer targets this window. I don't see us going up now so probably best to use it to assess the loans and build a team for next season.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #2239 on: February 01, 2019, 10:47:23 AM »
The reality has set in.

Previous winter windows were buying the best midfielders or striker in this division , champions League midfielder. 
Other windows seen us be envy of the league with players who probably only drop division for villa.

The biggest signing (literally) of Kalinic the now Croatia number one seems like it was a deal re-cycled.

It wasn't perhaps one that was thought of from this regime just an existing player from an old scout list or arranged contact with his agent .

What we did in previous windows did not work, we spent a fortune and we are still stuck in the Championship. It now appears that we are planning and building rather than just throwing money at it.

I’m not sure relying on a bunch of players on loan is planning for the future but hey ho

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2240 on: February 01, 2019, 10:48:45 AM »
The reality has set in.

I’m not sure relying on a bunch of players on loan is planning for the future but hey ho

We have the option to buy them which I think is the difference this time.

Offline john e

« Reply #2241 on: February 01, 2019, 10:49:30 AM »
The reality has set in.

We have the option to buy them which I think is the difference this time.

Let’s hope

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #2242 on: February 01, 2019, 11:01:32 AM »
We don’t have the option to buy Mings, from what I have read.
We have the ability to match any bid/offer made for him....although I don’t exactly understand how this gives us any advantage over anyone else if he does well and other clubs want to buy him.

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #2243 on: February 01, 2019, 11:04:09 AM »
Looking at the loans and deferred signings you get the feeling the money wasn't there anyway. i guess April to April we've spent the best part of 15m on players and the cupboard was bare.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #2244 on: February 01, 2019, 11:06:46 AM »
We don’t have the option to buy Mings, from what I have read.
We have the ability to match any bid/offer made for him....although I don’t exactly understand how this gives us any advantage over anyone else if he does well and other clubs want to buy him.

Provided that a Prem side aren't in for him, I'd back a player to choose Villa out of all the Championship sides.

That is if we don't have automatic option to buy, which appears to be the club's policy.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #2245 on: February 01, 2019, 11:09:07 AM »
I was expecting Rico Henry and Sawyers at least in this window,  I think Carroll is a strange one to be honest.

Offline john e

« Reply #2246 on: February 01, 2019, 11:13:39 AM »
I’m not a fan of building teams around loan players

unless they help you get promotion in the time they are with you it’s been a complete waste of time effort and money

imo anyway

Offline mallo

• GM : 28.03.2021
« Reply #2247 on: February 01, 2019, 11:16:17 AM »
It's a mixed bag and I'm a bit disappointed not to get Fer, but if even we though the medical was no good then surely we dodged a bullet? However it is January and 4 in and another ready for next season is good going. I think it will give the squad a lift and hopefully some fresh legs will get our tempo up again. And I hear Lansbury will be fit in a week or so - just like a new signing! <hides>

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #2248 on: February 01, 2019, 11:23:30 AM »
Well I think we now know the club aren't looking at promotion this season. At best we're trying out loans to buy for next season, and clearing the decks to bring in players in the summer. Shame we'll lose Tammy this summer but he was always part of Bruce's plans that don't exist anymore.

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #2249 on: February 01, 2019, 11:32:47 AM »
The reality has set in.

Chris Mepham turned villa down despite a more lucrative offer

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal