collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Richard E
[Today at 11:00:08 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Richard E
[Today at 11:00:08 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 10:58:06 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by ChicagoLion
[Today at 10:54:17 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 10:51:38 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 10:50:52 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 10:47:03 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by AV82EC
[Today at 10:46:47 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Sir DOUG RIP  (Read 36935 times)

Offline Mortimer's Bear

• GM : 30.05.2019
Re: Sir DOUG RIP
« Reply #255 on: October 20, 2018, 10:31:01 PM »
Thought the black corner flags were a nice touch.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #256 on: October 20, 2018, 11:20:49 PM »
I respected the moment but not the man

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #257 on: October 20, 2018, 11:35:06 PM »
All done properly.

Yep, a good and fitting send off for him today. 

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #258 on: October 21, 2018, 03:07:10 AM »
Whatever the views, the stories from ex-staff paint the picture of a thoroughly decent chap. Ironic that he was lambasted for safeguarding the financial state of  the club even though the last few years have seen the current board accused of wild spending. The grass isn't always greener. Yes, the 90s were frustrating but when you look at the club now it's nice to have those memories of competing in Europe and winning cups.
l’ve loved and hated Doug, like most of us, down the years. The big frustration is the untaken opportunity in the early premiership years, when we had the world at our feet. Who was bigger than us then ? Utd, Liverpool? Who else? No-one really. Massive wasted opportunity- RIP though Mr Ellis. After your own, you had our best interests at heart.

Offline Leicester_Villian

« Reply #259 on: October 21, 2018, 09:12:58 AM »
Doug was a business man who loved Aston Villa ....the problem was that he ran the club as a business and would not put money into transfers if it pit the club into debt. Doug was rich but a pauper compared to some of todays owners.
If Doug had still been in charge today we would not have any possible FFP issues in the near future and its likely would still be in the Prem.
Yesterday was a great farewell for Doug and the respect shown was excellent - thats one thing about Villa fans is they show respect when its due
RIP Doug and tell them about your bicycle kick and the Karen Brady stories up there 

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #260 on: October 21, 2018, 12:40:11 PM »
I don't believe he loved Villa at all and I'm not sure why people think this is beyond doubt.  I didn't want to be a hypocrite so he got no applause from me.

Offline passport1

• "I'm a believer mate"
« Reply #261 on: October 21, 2018, 01:00:04 PM »
Those of us who were around in the 60's & 70's are under no illusions about Ellis. I daresay to younger fans he may well have appeared to be a kindly old gentleman.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #262 on: October 21, 2018, 02:06:39 PM »
I don't believe he loved Villa at all and I'm not sure why people think this is beyond doubt.  I didn't want to be a hypocrite so he got no applause from me.

That's always been my thinking about him.  Took the opportunity when it came his way, did us decent service when we needed it and for that I'll always be grateful but he got more than adequately compensated in the overall scheme of things as others on here who know more about these things can testify. 

As I posted on the death thread, he was kind to a bunch of Irish kids we had brought to Villa Park and that's something else I'll be grateful to him for, but love the Villa for the Villa's sake?  I don't think so.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #263 on: October 22, 2018, 03:05:08 PM »
I don't believe he loved Villa at all

So why did he go to games home and away after he'd sold the club?

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #264 on: October 22, 2018, 03:27:47 PM »
I never expected to see the day when the Holte End would be singing 'there's only one Doug Ellis.'

And I certainly didn't join in. I can be hypocritical with the best of them but that would be a step too far.

RIP and all that but I am not rewriting history for him. And I deliberately left this thread alone for about a week in case anyone gets arsey about a lack of respect.
My feelings exactly.

Offline XXVilla

« Reply #265 on: October 22, 2018, 06:05:47 PM »
I never expected to see the day when the Holte End would be singing 'there's only one Doug Ellis.'

There really was only one Doug Ellis, whichever way you look at it.

Offline Mortimer's Bear

• GM : 30.05.2019
« Reply #266 on: October 23, 2018, 07:27:55 AM »

A 94 year old man passed away and after a 50 year association with our club. You didn't have to chant his name but a few rounds of applause to mark his passing would not have been hypocritical in my opinion.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #267 on: October 23, 2018, 09:23:42 AM »

A 94 year old man passed away and after a 50 year association with our club. You didn't have to chant his name but a few rounds of applause to mark his passing would not have been hypocritical in my opinion.
Look, the reality is whilst we've held our tongue on this thread so far out of respect, it seems a lot of us thought he was an utter ****** who took far more out of the Villa than he ever put in.  So by all means tell stories about what a nice chap he was and have some applause for him given his long tenure, but don't expect those of us with long memories to join in. 

Online amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #268 on: October 23, 2018, 09:37:09 AM »
My Dad has a long memory and remembers him saving the club in the 60s. In his mind, if he held us back a bit later on, it doesn’t negate that.
Don’t make it about how far back you can remember because it isn’t. He divided opinions and for me, I hated him and protested against him, but I don’t feel hypocritical applauding him because the time since has taught me a bit about being careful what you wish for, and added some perspective to his overall story.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #269 on: October 23, 2018, 09:40:27 AM »
I don't believe he loved Villa at all

So why did he go to games home and away after he'd sold the club?

I'm pretty sure he didn't pay for tickets, would be welcomed into the cosy environs of every boardroom with the requisite free food and drink and have his ego massaged, something he would've absolutely loved.

Who knows what would've happened had circumstances been different all those years ago, he may have ended up Mr Wolves or Mr Small Heath? Either way, and despite everything, I applauded on Saturday if for nothing else only the fact that he appointed Sir Graham Taylor in 1987.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal