collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Goldie.7
[Today at 05:16:42 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 12:29:50 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 12:25:41 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 12:22:43 AM]

Jhon Durán - signed by eamonn
[Today at 12:10:39 AM]

Cheeee-co-o-o-o-o-o by Steve kirk
[May 22, 2024, 10:35:14 PM]

Kits 24/25 by VillaTim
[May 22, 2024, 10:23:10 PM]

Season Tickets by London Villan
[May 22, 2024, 10:09:11 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1558995 times)

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #9960 on: July 27, 2020, 01:11:20 AM »
Bruno Lange was a joke at Benfica. There's about a hundred better managers in europe than him.

On 29 June 2020, Lage made his position available after equalizing Benfica's worst ever series of results – 2 wins in 13 matches in the 2000–01 season[22][23] – and establishing a record of 5 consecutive matches without a win at Estádio da Luz, which included defeats to Braga and Santa Clara

They also lost 3-0 to Maritimo which was his last game there.

DS will be here start of next season. Up to him how long from that point. Must improve his flexibility regarding our shape and formation mid match as so often we're too slow to do anything and better sides punish us.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 01:13:41 AM by SoccerHQ »

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #9961 on: July 27, 2020, 01:14:59 AM »
Bruno Lange was a joke at Benfica. There's about a hundred better managers in europe than him.

On 29 June 2020, Lage made his position available after equalizing Benfica's worst ever series of results – 2 wins in 13 matches in the 2000–01 season[22][23] – and establishing a record of 5 consecutive matches without a win at Estádio da Luz, which included defeats to Braga and Santa Clara

DS will be here start of next season. Up to him how long from that point.

Saw something suggesting Sawaris is buying a stake in a portuguese side and this guy is actually being lined up for them, which makes more sense.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #9962 on: July 27, 2020, 01:16:26 AM »

Saw something suggesting Sawaris is buying a stake in a portuguese side and this guy is actually being lined up for them, which makes more sense.

Yes, at Vitoria Guimaraes.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #9963 on: July 27, 2020, 01:17:15 AM »

Yeah Victoria Guimaraes. I've seen a few games and they're an exciting team with some good young players, were in Arsenal's group in the europa and gave them two hard games.

Marcus Edwards who came through Spurs youth team is there and had a good debut season so can see him being a transfer target if we're going to form some sort of link to them.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #9964 on: July 27, 2020, 01:17:40 AM »
Yes, at Vitoria Guimaraes.

A name from our European past.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #9965 on: July 27, 2020, 01:40:04 AM »
From the Grauniad :

Smith will be in charge of Villa next season. Meanwhile, Nassef Sawiris, one of Villa’s billionaire owners, is to expand his stable by buying a stake in the Portuguese club Vitória de Guimarães. There are plans for the former Benfica manager Bruno Lage to join that club’s coaching staff.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #9966 on: July 27, 2020, 01:56:16 AM »
Of course he'll be in charge beginning of next season. I'm just not convinced next year will be anything other than a struggle with him to be brutally honest - all season we lacked any sort of real identity in our play, and when we got a run in at the death it was based on skin-of-teeth, siege defending of the kind that makes me wonder if those advocating for Allardyce didn't get their wish in the end, in a way. Not to diminish this, or to say that I'm not really fond of Deano, I really am. I just remain unconvinced. But perhaps that's all for another day.

Fucking hell, Monty. Tonight, really? This will be all we'll be reading for months to come. Not tonight, please!

Offline Sexual Ealing

« Reply #9967 on: July 27, 2020, 01:57:17 AM »
I am a veteran Villa fan who on this forum. I have always been quick to back managers, and slow to call for their sacking.

Dean Smith did a very good job securing Villa promotion last season, he did it with the fifth best team in the Division.

He was totally inexperienced at PL level – that was a big risk.

His signings have been unimpressive. Yet you can never be sure whether they were his, or “The Board’s”, and he had to recruit in numbers. The Championship side would have finished bottom. When you do recruit in numbers chemistry is an unknown.

I think that retaining him is too big a risk, and it would be kinder to all if he left this summer with a promotion and creditable survival campaign on his CV. His reputation enhanced, and untarnished.

Who would you replace him with, though? I say keep him on. He deserves a chance to put right what went wrong this season having, hopefully, learned from his earlier mistakes and repeats/improves on the last four unbeaten games.
Managerial appointments are about what is going to happen next, not what has happened before.

I read little into the bizarre mini-season of BCD games.

On the downside, our club has had too many managers in too short a space of time and that has created problems of its own. Against that, I have seen little to suggest that he is a Santos or Dyche.

As for who I would replace him with, that is not my job. There are people who are paid a lot of money to identify those who will "fit" a club's requirements.

As it stands, will Smith outgun Bielsa and Leeds, or the Baggies and Bilic in the transfer market?

Can you give one reason why not? People talk about Bielsa like he's some managerial genius, but it's took him two years to do what Dean Smith did in seven months.
Bielsa has credibility at the highest levels for the work he did internationally with Argentina and Chile, and for his club stints at Athletic Bilbao, Spain, Marseille and Lille, France, Lazio, Italy. He hasn't a perfect record- but who has? It also buys you contacts.

Similarly, Bilic's international record with Croatia and club PL record at West Ham is impressive.

When players. and agents, choose clubs, confidence in the manager is vital. I am suggesting that however good a job Smith has done at taking us up, and keeping us up ( just), players are unlikely to pick Smith ahead of the other two.

He managed Lazio for two days.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #9968 on: July 27, 2020, 01:59:25 AM »

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #9969 on: July 27, 2020, 01:59:30 AM »
He was unbeaten as Lazio manager. A phenomenal spell.

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #9970 on: July 27, 2020, 01:59:52 AM »
Smith will stay, rightly, and I expect he’ll get massive backing in the transfer market. With that comes greater expectation and reduced patience. I don’t think ‘Suso’ is on quite such sound footing.

Offline Sexual Ealing

« Reply #9971 on: July 27, 2020, 02:02:21 AM »
Prediction: the space occupied by a Venn diagram between the straight-talking, no-nonsense, zero-bullshit, hardnosed, success-craving miniature Roy Keane H&V posters and the Bruno Lage experts to narrow over the next 48 hours.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 02:04:05 AM by Sexual Ealing »

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #9972 on: July 27, 2020, 02:05:27 AM »
Of course he'll be in charge beginning of next season. I'm just not convinced next year will be anything other than a struggle with him to be brutally honest - all season we lacked any sort of real identity in our play, and when we got a run in at the death it was based on skin-of-teeth, siege defending of the kind that makes me wonder if those advocating for Allardyce didn't get their wish in the end, in a way. Not to diminish this, or to say that I'm not really fond of Deano, I really am. I just remain unconvinced. But perhaps that's all for another day.

Fucking hell, Monty. Tonight, really? This will be all we'll be reading for months to come. Not tonight, please!

Ha, I mean that's fair enough! Just saying what I think. To be honest, it's nice to even be thinking about the Villa without despair and ennui so Smith gets a lot of credit for that.

Offline Sexual Ealing

« Reply #9973 on: July 27, 2020, 02:11:49 AM »

Ha, I mean that's fair enough! Just saying what I think. To be honest, it's nice to even be thinking about the Villa without despair and ennui so Smith gets a lot of credit for that.

Quite. We all have doubts, but when the water just turned to wine let's just get pissed!

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #9974 on: July 27, 2020, 06:46:41 AM »
Smith deserves to continue, I really hope that he has learnt from this season in respect of recruitment and game management.
It has been a miraculous recovery.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal