collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Peter McParland 90 today by Dogtanian
[Today at 10:23:19 AM]

Fan Voted Player of the Year by rob_bridge
[Today at 10:20:26 AM]

Champions League Contention by chrisw1
[Today at 10:17:44 AM]

Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by TheMalandro
[Today at 10:16:57 AM]

Games Moved for TV by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 10:03:28 AM]

NSWE Investment by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 09:29:01 AM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by VillaTim
[Today at 09:10:10 AM]

Ollie Watkins by LeeB
[Today at 08:12:59 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1549660 times)

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #9690 on: July 22, 2020, 12:53:05 PM »
Yep same I don’t think there’s much in way of gritted teeth really. A small minority putting emphasis on the enforced changes (or, on the other side, weirdly keen to dig other people out) but most folk just seem very happy with an unexpected win and a great shot at staying up, as it should be.

Offline exiled on the wirral!

« Reply #9691 on: July 22, 2020, 01:02:10 PM »
Yep same I don’t think there’s much in way of gritted teeth really. A small minority putting emphasis on the enforced changes (or, on the other side, weirdly keen to dig other people out) but most folk just seem very happy with an unexpected win and a great shot at staying up, as it should be.
Well Smith stumbling across a winning formula through luck rather than good judgement sounds like gritted teeth to me, but each to their own. I agree everyone sounds happy which is fantastic.

Offline Three Spires Villa

« Reply #9692 on: July 22, 2020, 01:06:58 PM »
For me has achieved two things, get us up and stay up, we are on course to do both. Debates and opinions are just that, opinions. If on Sunday we stay up and anyone is not happy, more fool them. I haven’t been a fan of Dean, I can only comment on what I see at the game or on tv. If it’s luck, keep being lucky.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #9693 on: July 22, 2020, 01:35:48 PM »
If, and it's a big if, we survive playing as we did last night then it will prove, to me anyway, that the players are behind him which I really thought they weren't.  That, going forward is a big plus.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #9694 on: July 22, 2020, 01:38:57 PM »
I was 50/50 on Smith up until the United game when I thought he’d utterly lost it and needed to be replaced. Huge thanks to him for what he’s achieved in the last few games to get us where we are but I’m still falling on the side of upgrading if that’s possible and we stay up. If we stay up and we couldn’t upgrade then he would stay. If we go down then he should go.

It was the United game for me as well but I'm on the fence of him staying or going. I was worried that the penalty decision had broken him but to his credit we've been better since and, importantly, so has he. He made a mistake not making a sub or 2 to break up against Everton but other than that the last 3 games have been much closer to what we all thought we'd get from him this season rather than the passive stuff we'd seen too often before that.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #9695 on: July 22, 2020, 01:39:41 PM »
If, and it's a big if, we survive playing as we did last night then it will prove, to me anyway, that the players are behind him which I really thought they weren't.  That, going forward is a big plus.
That's a very good point.  Like you, I thought the poor, listless performances both before and immediately after the break showed that the players had lost faith in him.  But the last three or four games show that even if that was true, he's got them back.  Fair play to him.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #9696 on: July 22, 2020, 01:42:39 PM »
That's a very good point.  Like you, I thought the poor, listless performances both before and immediately after the break showed that the players had lost faith in him.  But the last three or four games show that even if that was true, he's got them back.  Fair play to him.

Last 3, the one before that was the worst performance under him by a log way.

Offline Alex77

• GM : 19.11.2023
« Reply #9697 on: July 22, 2020, 01:48:46 PM »

Yes, the performances were wooden. Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #9698 on: July 22, 2020, 01:51:15 PM »
Wait for it...

Offline ez

« Reply #9699 on: July 22, 2020, 01:55:12 PM »

The last 3 games have been akin to must win games and we've played well in them. Maybe Smith's had a change of attitude.

Offline Fred Crump

« Reply #9700 on: July 22, 2020, 01:56:28 PM »
Wait for it...
Don’t worry Dave. I don’t think anyone will have twigged that there is a Punathon opportunity

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #9701 on: July 22, 2020, 01:59:49 PM »
Oh FFS, just when I was having a good day.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #9702 on: July 22, 2020, 02:01:14 PM »

The last 3 games have been akin to must win games and we've played well in them. Maybe Smith's had a change of attitude.

Don’t be a plank.

Offline Fred Crump

« Reply #9703 on: July 22, 2020, 02:08:50 PM »
Oh FFS, just when I was having a good day.
Maybe for Chris’s peace of mind it wood be a good idea if a splinter group should branch out into a separate Punathon thread.....Ok,  Ok , I’ll leaf it alone now.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #9704 on: July 22, 2020, 02:09:30 PM »
If we stay up we need to conduct a root and branch review of our recruitment process.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal