collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

NSWE Investment by dave.woodhall
[Today at 10:29:04 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by dave.woodhall
[Today at 10:27:37 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 10:16:54 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:08:40 PM]

Diego Carlos by KevinGage
[Today at 09:42:35 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Somniloquism
[Today at 09:40:37 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Gareth
[Today at 09:40:00 PM]

Ollie Watkins by Drummond
[Today at 09:20:21 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1544708 times)

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #9495 on: July 15, 2020, 01:44:27 PM »
Our defending as a team is crap but this is NOT just about the defenders.  We don't hold the ball up in attack, we don't chase the ball down and defend from the front.  We have a lack of physicality in midfield and if anyone needs further evidence of what that means, just look at the Chelsea and Man United goals against us.  Also, our defenders lack concentration and make stupid individual mistakes, oh, and the keepers of late, have been dire.  The spine of the side is in need of addressing.  Mings needs a proper partner, we need a defensive midfielder in front of the back four, we need harder working wingers and a centre forward who works a damn sight harder than Samatta.

But apart from that......

Lol.  People are blaming defenders for us being poor, it is a much eider issue and has not been addressed at all.  The January window was that chance and we buggered it up.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #9496 on: July 15, 2020, 01:46:53 PM »
The Bruce revisionism is baffling. Newcastle are currently exactly they finished under the last guy despite Mr. Potato Head spending 40million on a striker who makes Samatta look prolific.
Bruces subs were not nearly criticised as much as Smiths because he was not as useless as Smith at making them.

I'm not about to argue Bruce was all bad and smith is all good. It's just a general reminder of how much an idiot Bruce can be. I mean could you imagine if we'd come up that season under Bruce and he then presents Joe Linton as Abraham's  40m replacement? i mean at least Wesley has some sort of goalscoring record that hints at potential. Linton couldn't even get to double figures in the Austrian league. God knows what the Newcastle fans make of it

You know he's not called Joe Linton, right?

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #9497 on: July 15, 2020, 01:50:31 PM »
It's not about working harder, the idea that if the team were a bit fit or tried a bit more we'd be fine is just lazy. It's about being smarter. Lots on here like the take the piss over Smith setting traps but that's exactly what we need to be better at. We need to get teams playing where we want them to so we can turn the ball over on our terms. All of our attacking players except Grealish have struggled because they run themselves into the ground in silly areas of the pitch where we see no benefit.

Offline Astonite

« Reply #9498 on: July 15, 2020, 01:50:59 PM »
Totally agree there have been many occasions where the opposition have gone from ball in keepers hands to bearing down on our back four in 3 or 4 simple passes.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #9499 on: July 15, 2020, 01:51:24 PM »
A lot has happened this year and my memory is a bit fuzzy.

We reverted to a back 3/5 after Christmas, why did we change back to a 4

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #9500 on: July 15, 2020, 01:53:29 PM »
The Bruce revisionism is baffling. Newcastle are currently exactly they finished under the last guy despite Mr. Potato Head spending 40million on a striker who makes Samatta look prolific.
Bruces subs were not nearly criticised as much as Smiths because he was not as useless as Smith at making them.

I'm not about to argue Bruce was all bad and smith is all good. It's just a general reminder of how much an idiot Bruce can be. I mean could you imagine if we'd come up that season under Bruce and he then presents Joe Linton as Abraham's  40m replacement? i mean at least Wesley has some sort of goalscoring record that hints at potential. Linton couldn't even get to double figures in the Austrian league. God knows what the Newcastle fans make of it

Sounds like a bloke who works nights down at the docks and eats two meat pies for breakfast

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #9501 on: July 15, 2020, 01:55:16 PM »

It’s not Ivor’s son then?

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #9502 on: July 15, 2020, 01:56:13 PM »
It's not about working harder, the idea that if the team were a bit fit or tried a bit more we'd be fine is just lazy. It's about being smarter. Lots on here like the take the piss over Smith setting traps but that's exactly what we need to be better at. We need to get teams playing where we want them to so we can turn the ball over on our terms. All of our attacking players except Grealish have struggled because they run themselves into the ground in silly areas of the pitch where we see no benefit.

You're right about being smarter, but I think this comes hand in hand with working harder. I think it's pretty much the same thing.We do not work hard enough to retain possession.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #9503 on: July 15, 2020, 01:56:29 PM »
The Bruce revisionism is baffling. Newcastle are currently exactly where they finished under the last guy despite Mr. Potato Head spending 40million on a striker who makes Samatta look prolific.
What Bruce revisionism?

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #9504 on: July 15, 2020, 01:56:59 PM »
Plays like him too.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #9505 on: July 15, 2020, 02:02:38 PM »

heh.  admittedly not for a long time the way people were pronouncing his name. Besides it suits him as a archetypal Bruce signing. Joe linton, welsh international, scored 23 goals for Bradford before Bruce plucked him from obscurity for 12m to lead his championship promotion challenge

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #9506 on: July 15, 2020, 02:05:39 PM »
The Bruce revisionism is baffling. Newcastle are currently exactly where they finished under the last guy despite Mr. Potato Head spending 40million on a striker who makes Samatta look prolific.
What Bruce revisionism?

Didn't mean you. Seen some comments on here along the lines of "Bruce would have kept us up"

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #9507 on: July 15, 2020, 02:19:44 PM »
What Bruce revisionism?

Didn't mean you. Seen some comments on here along the lines of "Bruce would have kept us up"
We'll never know.  What I would say is he's done better at Newcastle than I expepected him to.  It's amusing hearing the Geordies phoning in to chat shows moaning about him, with his pundit mates defending him as usual. 

Either way, I'm glad he's not our manager at the moment.

Online itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #9508 on: July 15, 2020, 02:24:58 PM »
Totally agree there have been many occasions where the opposition have gone from ball in keepers hands to bearing down on our back four in 3 or 4 simple passes.
Also we've had ball in or near to their goal and had it back to our keeper in 3 or 4 passes.  It's far too easy for almost every opposition team.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #9509 on: July 15, 2020, 03:47:35 PM »
What Bruce revisionism?

He may have done. We had his pragmatism when we needed to let off the schackles, but this year his approach may have suited us better.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal