collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Bad English
[Today at 03:19:14 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Hookeysmith
[Today at 03:08:36 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Hookeysmith
[Today at 03:04:08 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by LeeB
[Today at 02:54:38 PM]

NSWE Investment by The Edge
[Today at 02:33:46 PM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by chrisw1
[Today at 02:25:44 PM]

Diego Carlos by Demitri_C
[Today at 02:25:16 PM]

Pre-season 2024/25 by Somniloquism
[Today at 01:40:42 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1544293 times)

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #9375 on: July 13, 2020, 02:09:17 PM »
I've gone back and forth on Smith over the last 6months but as I said the other day the way we gave up once Man U got their penalty was the tipping point for me. I saw nothing from Smith to show he had any idea how to handle that and I just don't think we can carry that inexperience any more. If we were a slightly older team of people who'd been around this league for a few years we could ride it out and let him take some time to learn from his mistakes but as is the management and players are feeding each other and dragging us below the standard I think this squad is capable of.  Replacing the manager is cheaper, quicker and easier than the alternative so for me he goes after the west ham game regardless of what league we're in at that point.

I'm not sure it's that easy. If we replace the manager, we'll also need to replace Suso and any new man will want his own players in.

Offline Jockey Randall

« Reply #9376 on: July 13, 2020, 02:18:32 PM »
I think Smith has clearly learned from mistakes he made earlier in the season. According to Understat yesterday was the 4th time since the restart we've limited the opposition to an expected goals total of below 1, where as we'd only managed that twice before the restart against Newcastle and West Ham at home. We've also limited Chelsea and Liverpool to a relatively low amount of high quality chances against and I think you could argue we have deserved more points than we've got in the last 7 games.

I think they've clearly looked at it during lockdown and realised we were way too open against better sides earlier in the season. It was a mistake on Smith's part and could ultimately cost us but he deserves credit for learning from it and it gives me encouragement going forward.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #9377 on: July 13, 2020, 02:22:57 PM »
I think Smith has clearly learned from mistakes he made earlier in the season. According to Understat yesterday was the 4th time since the restart we've limited the opposition to an expected goals total of below 1, where as we'd only managed that twice before the restart against Newcastle and West Ham at home. We've also limited Chelsea and Liverpool to a relatively low amount of high quality chances against and I think you could argue we have deserved more points than we've got in the last 7 games.

I think they've clearly looked at it during lockdown and realised we were way too open against better sides earlier in the season. It was a mistake on Smith's part and could ultimately cost us but he deserves credit for learning from it and it gives me encouragement going forward.
The speed of his learning isn’t exactly reassuring,  relegation zone, 28 games games played,second worst goals conceded and “ maybe let’s try to stop the opposition scoring so often. Doh

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #9378 on: July 13, 2020, 02:44:48 PM »
I've gone back and forth on Smith over the last 6months but as I said the other day the way we gave up once Man U got their penalty was the tipping point for me. I saw nothing from Smith to show he had any idea how to handle that and I just don't think we can carry that inexperience any more. If we were a slightly older team of people who'd been around this league for a few years we could ride it out and let him take some time to learn from his mistakes but as is the management and players are feeding each other and dragging us below the standard I think this squad is capable of.  Replacing the manager is cheaper, quicker and easier than the alternative so for me he goes after the west ham game regardless of what league we're in at that point.

I'm not sure it's that easy. If we replace the manager, we'll also need to replace Suso and any new man will want his own players in.

Easier, not easy.

New players are happening this summer regardless so replacing the manager 'now' and letting his replacement be involved in those signings is easier than letting the current lot make signings and then looking for a new manager 10 games in because the problems are still there.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #9379 on: July 13, 2020, 02:52:48 PM »
New players are happening this summer regardless so replacing the manager 'now' and letting his replacement be involved in those signings is easier than letting the current lot make signings and then looking for a new manager 10 games in because the problems are still there.
Agreed.  Progress will always cost money.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #9380 on: July 13, 2020, 03:24:04 PM »

If he keeps us up, then I think he'll deserve the first few games to show some improvement and lessons learned.  I woukd definitely want to see a reshuffle of his coaching team and the addition of some experienced players through the the spine of the side to show some lessons had be learned. 

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #9381 on: July 13, 2020, 04:01:58 PM »
Good points made there Mister E. I would only add that Douglas Luis allowed Hourihane to have less focus on the defensive side of his game which we all know is hardly his strong point. A big up to Tres as well- he is a limited player but he does defend and hassle when he does not have the ball. His work rate was excellent yesterday.
True, Virg, true.

My concern is that, when he came in, Smith positioned himself as a learner; someone who would quickly use each matchday experience as an opportunity to develop and adapt.
His learning pace appears to have been glacial, and yesterday's game served as an example where - rather than him making positive changes - some changes were forced upon him. Credit for playing Hourihane and (presumably) playing JG further advanced.
All of which begs the question: what will he do on Thursday - stay on the front foot or retreat into a more cautious set-up?

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #9382 on: July 13, 2020, 04:08:50 PM »
If we want to get anywhere near the top 6 an upgrade is required.  Harsh, but there is no loyalty in football.  Either, stay up or go down, Dean goes.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #9383 on: July 13, 2020, 04:09:06 PM »
The  most frustrating aspect of all this is that a more cautious approach would have served us better at the start of the season. If we had 2 or 3 more draws than losses we would have had more of a cushion all season.

What we would give to have that point away at Arsenal and a point from the game at home to Spurs.

Online Drummond

« Reply #9384 on: July 13, 2020, 04:12:25 PM »
If we want to get anywhere near the top 6 an upgrade is required.  Harsh, but there is no loyalty in football.  Either, stay up or go down, Dean goes.

Top 6 of which?

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #9385 on: July 13, 2020, 04:27:07 PM »
don’t think he’s learned much to be honest
if he had it his way yesterday we would have gone with Hause and Taylor in the back 4

it was providence that changed two of those players and gave us a better balance and more of an attacking threat in a backs to the wall do or die game

and why is Guilbert still sitting on the bench

as far as I’m concerned he’s actually looked more and more confused and out of his depth the longer the season has gone on rather than leaning anything

I lost confidence in his ability quite a while ago and yesterday only confirmed he hasn’t got much of a clue really
nice man though he is and Villa man to boot we need better

Online Drummond

« Reply #9386 on: July 13, 2020, 04:40:39 PM »
if he had it his way yesterday we would have gone with Hause and Taylor in the back 4

it was providence that changed two of those players and gave us a better balance and more of an attacking threat in a backs to the wall do or die game

as far as I’m concerned he’s actually looked more and more confused and out of his depth the longer the season has gone on rather than leaning anything

I lost confidence in his ability quite a while ago and yesterday only confirmed he hasn’t got much of a clue really

I'm not sure how a 2-0 win could confirm a manager hasn't got much of a clue, bit there we go.

We might have won by more had the original 11 played, nobody will ever know.

Offline john e

« Reply #9387 on: July 13, 2020, 04:46:31 PM »

I'm not sure how a 2-0 win could confirm a manager hasn't got much of a clue, bit there we go.

We might have won by more had the original 11 played, nobody will ever know.

eerr I’ve explained why
it’s just my opinion we need someone better

I know you disagree that’s fine
we have to post honestly about how we feel we obviously won’t all agree

Online Drummond

« Reply #9388 on: July 13, 2020, 04:54:36 PM »
Of course.

I just read it and see that we lose it's his fault, we win it's not his doing. We perform well, it's the players, we perform badly it's the manager. I happen to think there are lots of reasons for it all and that it isn't all about Smith.

Offline john e

« Reply #9389 on: July 13, 2020, 05:13:39 PM »
Of course.

I just read it and see that we lose it's his fault, we win it's not his doing. We perform well, it's the players, we perform badly it's the manager. I happen to think there are lots of reasons for it all and that it isn't all about Smith.

I find it difficult to criticise Smith because I like him so much
like you say there is other things to get right as well but the manager for me is the most important and I don’t think he can take us any further on what I’ve seen as the season has gone on including yesterday like I said

I’m the biggest fan of Grealish on this site I honestly think he could play for Barcelona and not look out of place
but if I’m honest I didn’t think he was all that great yesterday
so even though we won 2 0 it didn’t colour what I saw in Grealish’s performance and I know others thought he was a lot better

then to balance the negativity I thought Elmo was challenging Luiz for the MOTM
now I don’t think I’ve ever said many good things about him in the past on here if any but I thought he was great yesterday and improved the team when he came on

so like I say I try and post honestly as to how I see things when they happen even if it doesn’t fit very well with whatever the scoreline was or my own personal views on players etc

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal