collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by Dogtanian
[Today at 11:18:16 AM]

Ollie Watkins by LeeB
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

Liverpool by Dogtanian
[Today at 11:08:34 AM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by sid1964
[Today at 11:06:34 AM]

NSWE Investment by tomd2103
[Today at 11:05:09 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by darren woolley
[Today at 10:50:14 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:33:06 AM]

GUESS THE CROWD R26: ASTON VILLA v Chelsea, Saturday, 27th April!🥧 by JD
[Today at 09:58:11 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1541633 times)

Offline aj2k77

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #8505 on: July 01, 2020, 01:19:14 PM »
Not considering loans was a massive mistake as well.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #8506 on: July 01, 2020, 01:21:13 PM »
if Smith is working with a bereft of quality squad

How come if we go down prem teams are reportedly all over half of our squad to purchase at multi millions of ££

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #8507 on: July 01, 2020, 01:24:31 PM »
Your descriptions are spot on for me, Risso.

Mings has been a massive disappointment. Thinks he's better than he actually is.

Nakamba might just be my least favourite of the lot. Shocking player. £11 would have looked like a rip off.

Jota seems to spend all his time making that ridiculous 'shaka' hand sign whilst sitting in the club gym wearing training kit.

Nearly all signings mentioned above move at snail pace, also.

I was beginning to think I was in a minority of one regarding Tyrone. I feared the worst once he pulled on an England jersey and for me, his performances have dipped ever since. He looks like he’s going through the motions, doing just enough to get through each game.

He’s gone from being an absolute rock and leader at the back, to someone who’s head is clearly elsewhere.

For Dean, he would have wanted that spine of Heaton, Mings, McGinn and Grealish to lead the rest, and for various reasons, none of them have done any such thing. Part of the reason we look so slow and predictable is that we have no driving force out there and no one to demand more of others. 

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #8508 on: July 01, 2020, 01:25:49 PM »

How come if we go down prem teams are reportedly all over half of our squad to purchase at multi millions of ££

Yes there is that, and in Jack Grealish we have one of the most talented players in the league.  The way he's been used, and the way his form has suffered has been sad to see.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #8509 on: July 01, 2020, 01:34:05 PM »
Not considering loans was a massive mistake as well.
Absolutely.  Just because we may have over used it in the past and left ourselves short doesn't mean it's not a very valuable tool when used correctly.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #8510 on: July 01, 2020, 01:35:19 PM »
Your descriptions are spot on for me, Risso.

Mings has been a massive disappointment. Thinks he's better than he actually is.

Nakamba might just be my least favourite of the lot. Shocking player. £11 would have looked like a rip off.

Jota seems to spend all his time making that ridiculous 'shaka' hand sign whilst sitting in the club gym wearing training kit.

Nearly all signings mentioned above move at snail pace, also.

I was beginning to think I was in a minority of one regarding Tyrone. I feared the worst once he pulled on an England jersey and for me, his performances have dipped ever since. He looks like he’s going through the motions, doing just enough to get through each game.

He’s gone from being an absolute rock and leader at the back, to someone who’s head is clearly elsewhere.

For Dean, he would have wanted that spine of Heaton, Mings, McGinn and Grealish to lead the rest, and for various reasons, none of them have done any such thing. Part of the reason we look so slow and predictable is that we have no driving force out there and no one to demand more of others. 

I agree mate. It's been a largely dreadful season. There have been some decent performances, but they've been overshadowed by inept tactics and in some cases, unfit players. If we do go down, I can't say I'd miss any of them.

Hope you're well anyway mate!

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #8511 on: July 01, 2020, 01:37:01 PM »
I think that harsh on Tyrone.  Yes, he's not been near his best this season but I think it's too simple to blame playing for England.  For one thing, most of our players haven't been great this season and I think that's partly quality but also because, I believe, they lost faith in Dean a long time ago.  Morale has been low for a long time too.  I'm not excusing his poor form but I really don't think it has anything to do with England or having his head turned.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #8512 on: July 01, 2020, 01:40:05 PM »
Mings' form this season reminds me a bit of Mellberg having to babysit Ridgewell in 05.  That brainwave of a pairing turned a previously solid centre half into a liability for a period of time.

An experienced/ competent centre half alongside Mings would have cured many of our ills this season.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #8513 on: July 01, 2020, 01:41:34 PM »

Jack and Mings isn't half our squad.

We've played half a season without Heaton & McGinn, our only other major assets.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #8514 on: July 01, 2020, 03:48:15 PM »

Complete papertalk, let's see what happens.  That said, if they taken them, they will be doing us a favour, bar Mings and Jack.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #8515 on: July 01, 2020, 03:53:05 PM »

Complete papertalk, let's see what happens.  That said, if they taken them, they will be doing us a favour, bar Mings and Jack.

You forgot McGinn.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #8516 on: July 01, 2020, 04:58:36 PM »
I am a big fan of Tyrone but he has been called to put his cock on the block at atime when other huge non football wheels are turning.  Right up to the point when he had to call out racism in the middle of an England game his head has been all over the place.  He will be back.  It is totally unfair that football and football players should have to be the lightning rods of a sick society.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #8517 on: July 01, 2020, 05:33:12 PM »
I don’t think our squad is any weaker than other teams in the bottom half of the league in fact it’s better than most imo

and most if not all don’t have a 50-80 mill rated midfielder to call on

it’s about managing and coaching imo

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #8518 on: July 01, 2020, 05:37:58 PM »
John you could argue it was the same when we went down last time. Many of the players who were bought that summer have gone on to prove themselves very good, if not excellent players having very good careers. It’s was just utter chaos around them. We don’t have the chaos now but once again we are not getting the best out of these players. And I very much include Jack in that who is is shunted out on the left wing. I would put my money on him not being a left winger at Man City it Man United if he moves to one of those clubs.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #8519 on: July 01, 2020, 05:42:57 PM »
Some of our players aren't good enough but I refuse to believe Dean is getting the absolute maximum out of them.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal