collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1522976 times)

Offline walsall villain

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #6570 on: February 22, 2020, 05:13:36 PM »
 Vital game and yet again it’s like shots in. Love what you’ve done Dean but it’s time for a change. We need to be organised and hard to play against which you can’t seem to do that.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #6571 on: February 22, 2020, 05:13:44 PM »
The new owners seem to be in it for the long haul, going about building the club in the right way, from the youth team, to Bodymoor, and creating an identity which we haven't had for years.  Smith is clearly core to that so he's going nowhere.
This kind of stuff is straight out of the prospectus though.  What is the long haul?  What is the right way?  What identity are we trying to create?  Why is Smith core to that if he's not good enough?  It's all jam tomorrow bullshit.

Offline BlackCountryVilla

« Reply #6572 on: February 22, 2020, 05:14:09 PM »
The guy is one of our own. Yes he hasn't been the breath of fresh air we all hoped we would be.
We all know that the end is nigh for him.
But he is a Villa bloke and he should lead his boyhood club out at Wembley next week. We would all give anything to do it and we shouldn't deny him that.
We all owe him that at the very least for promotion.
After that who knows?
I like him as a person but he looks out of his depth now.
Keep the faith..

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #6573 on: February 22, 2020, 05:14:26 PM »
Honestly Demitri, I'd go and try something else.  You're getting close to responding to yourself on this thread you're posting so much.

It's just not worth getting that worked up about.  We've been relegated before, with a much worse squad, a worse manager, a worse owner, and it really wasn't that bad.

If you're not getting any enjoyment out of following the Villa (and there's no evidence on here to suggest you are) then you're better off trying something else with your time.

So im not allowed to be upset with team that i have supported for over 30 years when they eprform like that?

Its not just me posting so why you singling me out? Im sorry im not having a go at you mate. This situation we find ourself is hurting

You talk about relegatikn but this team has such huge potential with jack mcginn and mings. If we go down it could destroy our club

Of course you're allowed to be upset after a poor result - my concern is more that you don't seem to be happy after a good one.

If a hobby only ever makes you sad it's time to try something else.  Life's too short.

Offline Demitri_C

« Reply #6574 on: February 22, 2020, 05:15:20 PM »
Honestly Demitri, I'd go and try something else.  You're getting close to responding to yourself on this thread you're posting so much.

It's just not worth getting that worked up about.  We've been relegated before, with a much worse squad, a worse manager, a worse owner, and it really wasn't that bad.

If you're not getting any enjoyment out of following the Villa (and there's no evidence on here to suggest you are) then you're better off trying something else with your time.
given our situation we could end up getting a further points reduction.  I'm really not Rosey about going down as romantic as it was last season.

We won't.  If we go down, Grealish will go and give us a huge profit to book in the FFP calcs.  The fact we've spent a year in the Prem will increase the level of FFP losses we're allowed, and we'll get another (up to) three years of parachute payments.

The rest of the squad should remain - Mings and SJM are the only ones likely to be tempted to leave but McGinn's injury might dampen some of the demand and I genuinely believe Mings has a real affinity for the club so will give us the season to get promoted again.

The new owners seem to be in it for the long haul, going about building the club in the right way, from the youth team, to Bodymoor, and creating an identity which we haven't had for years.  Smith is clearly core to that so he's going nowhere.

Mate there is no way mongs is staying. He is a england player now.he wont be chosen by southgate in championship.

Do you trust smith to spend the money anyway when we wasted it on players like wesley trez and that wimp AEG ( who was a disgrace by the way) for the way he acted?

Im sorry but i am very concerned to keep smith on should we go down

Offline levico

« Reply #6575 on: February 22, 2020, 05:15:39 PM »
A depressing opinion but I don’t think he’s going anywhere. Difficult to know what’s going through the mind of our owners but I think he earned many brownie points by last seasons heroics.

They’ll think again when we go down, lose our best players and £millions of TV revenue and get a points deduction in the Championship.

Sunderland anyone.

Offline ez

« Reply #6576 on: February 22, 2020, 05:16:29 PM »
I think it's obvious he's going nowhere. Could have lost 8-0 and he wouldn't be potted.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #6577 on: February 22, 2020, 05:16:43 PM »
He needs to go now while the fans still appreciate what he has accomplished, rather than when the real vitriol kicks in.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #6578 on: February 22, 2020, 05:17:12 PM »
I don't care if he is one of our own or not, that was a disgusting fucking mess out there today.

AGAIN playing a shape and personnel that doesn't work. Waiting too long to change anything. What the hell is he doing?

He deserves the sack, right now, and it's all entirely his fault.

Look how piss poor we are.

We've just taken zero points from nine, including two matches away to shit teams of the type we HAVE to beat.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #6579 on: February 22, 2020, 05:17:31 PM »
I think it's a bit of a perfect storm season, inexperienced manager, inexperienced squad, VAR coming in and causing us a lot of problems, most of the big sides having a shit season so there's a lot more points going to the bottom half of the league than normal.

I don't blame Smith entirely, I think for every game like today there's been games where we've been the better side and fucked up on the field.

That said something does need to change, I wouldn't do it before the final, I think Smith deserves the chance to get a trophy but I'd certainly be looking at the options.

Offline Demitri_C

« Reply #6580 on: February 22, 2020, 05:18:06 PM »

So im not allowed to be upset with team that i have supported for over 30 years when they eprform like that?

Its not just me posting so why you singling me out? Im sorry im not having a go at you mate. This situation we find ourself is hurting

You talk about relegatikn but this team has such huge potential with jack mcginn and mings. If we go down it could destroy our club

Of course you're allowed to be upset after a poor result - my concern is more that you don't seem to be happy after a good one.

If a hobby only ever makes you sad it's time to try something else.  Life's too short.

Its not life or death for me but come on do you not get hurt seeing your club go through this again? That relegation almost killed us and we look like we have to go through it again next year.

Im not giving up on the club.

There are various posters on here that know me personally and know that when villa are doing well  i am one happy SOB!

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #6581 on: February 22, 2020, 05:19:22 PM »
It’s not about being relegated or not, not really. If we were showing clear signs of a game plan and progress, but being unlucky and coming up short that’d be ok. But we’re not we’re getting worse by the week and there’s no sense of cohesion, or even team spirit. That’s sadly why Dean should go.

Offline Ad@m

« Reply #6582 on: February 22, 2020, 05:19:59 PM »
This kind of stuff is straight out of the prospectus though.  What is the long haul?  What is the right way?  What identity are we trying to create?  Why is Smith core to that if he's not good enough?  It's all jam tomorrow bullshit.

Look at the list of managers we've had since the 90s - GT, O'Leary, MON, Houllier, TSM, Lambert, RDM, Garde, Bruce.  Literally no pattern to them, no rhyme or reason why one should follow the last.  Every time we're starting from scratch.

Like it or not, FFP protects the clubs who are already successful so we can't buy our way to the top, we have to build our way there, sustainably and sustainability does not involve binning a manager who got us promoted six months ago and starting again.

We all knew Smith was making a massive step up when he joined us and he's learning his way, just like most of the squad.  From where we are now, getting relegated won't be the end of the world, so we shouldn't tear up the strategy simply to gamble on avoiding it.  Stick to the plan and as long as the plan is a good one, we'll be much better off in the long run.

Offline Ad@m

« Reply #6583 on: February 22, 2020, 05:24:38 PM »

Its not life or death for me but come on do you not get hurt seeing your club go through this again? That relegation almost killed us and we look like we have to go through it again next year.

Im not giving up on the club.

There are various posters on here that know me personally and know that when villa are doing well  i am one happy SOB!

That relegation didn't nearly kill us.  Dr Tone and his shambolic ownership nearly killed us.

After the Lambert years, the last 3 seasons have been some of the most enjoyable we've had at the Villa in years.  If it happens again, we'll go in to next season with a better squad, better finances, a manager who got us promoted against the odds last time, and we'll absolutely piss it!

Online geolex

« Reply #6584 on: February 22, 2020, 05:24:43 PM »

given our situation we could end up getting a further points reduction.  I'm really not Rosey about going down as romantic as it was last season.

We won't.  If we go down, Grealish will go and give us a huge profit to book in the FFP calcs.  The fact we've spent a year in the Prem will increase the level of FFP losses we're allowed, and we'll get another (up to) three years of parachute payments.

The rest of the squad should remain - Mings and SJM are the only ones likely to be tempted to leave but McGinn's injury might dampen some of the demand and I genuinely believe Mings has a real affinity for the club so will give us the season to get promoted again.

And thats a positive?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal