collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1545889 times)

Online RamboandBruno

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #6360 on: February 02, 2020, 06:35:38 PM »
And the fact that one of the most creative midfielders in the PL is being employed as a left winger or wide left midfielder is continuously bewildering.
From where he is having a tremendous season! Scoring, very creative (so close to two goals yesterday). Can’t agree with you one bit.

That’s all down to him. He’s doing it playing out of position. He’s far more effective in a more central role. He gets trapped out there too often. He’s not a winger.

I doubt whether Smith ideally wants to play Jack on the wing, he’s playing there because the other wingers have been inconsistent. As has been well said numerous times on many threads, for most of this team it’s their first time playing in the premier league and additionally their first time playing together. If we stay up some of them may turn into really good consistent players for us, Konsa, Luiz, Guilbert, Targett, whilst others may inevitably fall by the way side, Trez maybe?

Overall, longest winning run in our history, promotion at Wembley, getting to a cup final and still with a very good chance of staying up with the above untried players, is a pretty good 14 month CV and says to me that Smith does have nous and can motivate the team.

I’ve said on a different thread, we might need to look at games in blocks of 4 or 5 now, from the last 5 league games we’ve had 2 wins & a draw, if we get that from the next 5 and the next 5 after that we should be ok...just

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #6361 on: February 02, 2020, 06:40:52 PM »
No chance of two wins and a draw from the next 5 in my opinion, some hard games in that run.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #6362 on: February 02, 2020, 06:50:09 PM »
No chance of two wins and a draw from the next 5 in my opinion, some hard games in that run.
Spurs Sheffield Utd Citeh Leicester Southampton,.

Online RamboandBruno

« Reply #6363 on: February 02, 2020, 06:51:09 PM »

Indeed they look tough, but Watford were 7 games unbeaten when we played them and we’ve just turned over Leicester albeit in the cup, still their first team though. If we can’t raise our game then we will be done for, let’s hope we can.

Online RamboandBruno

« Reply #6364 on: February 02, 2020, 06:52:36 PM »

City’s in the cup final, I just meant the league, though I think the 5th could be Liverpool 😱

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #6365 on: February 02, 2020, 07:02:24 PM »
We will do well not to lose at least 3 of those, 2 draws and a win will set us up for the next run of easy games Chelsea Wolves Newcastle Liverpool Man utd.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #6366 on: February 02, 2020, 07:03:57 PM »

City’s in the cup final, I just meant the league, though I think the 5th could be Liverpool 😱
Yes sorry the 5th is Chelsea .

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #6367 on: February 02, 2020, 07:06:54 PM »
Not feeling good about that run at all. Yesterday was the game we needed to win and we blew it. We’ve actually done ok against relegation rivals overall, but we gave Southampton a massive boost when we made them look like Real Madrid and it’s probably the 6 points we’ve gifted Bournemouth that will do for us I suspect as I can see them finishing 17th and us 18th.

Online RamboandBruno

« Reply #6368 on: February 02, 2020, 07:13:58 PM »
We will do well not to lose at least 3 of those, 2 draws and a win will set us up for the next run of easy games Chelsea Wolves Newcastle Liverpool Man utd.

Just looked at all the fixtures remaining for all those in the mix, we have got a tough run and we will have to raise our game on 2 or 3 occasions, but out of all those games I see no reason to fear newcastle, apart from ourselves their the worst side I’ve seen this season.

Anyway, as well as our tough run, West Ham and Brighton’s run ins, look pretty horrendous. Despite it being tight down there I really don’t see it going to 40 points. I don’t normally do predictions or gamble as I invarioubly lose, but Brighton and West Ham may do well to get to 33/34 points. Equally being conservative and taking my biased hat off we might do well to get to 35/36, but that could be enough.

Offline Luke8

« Reply #6369 on: February 02, 2020, 07:39:06 PM »
How anyone can make confident predictions about us getting/not getting any amount of points I don’t know. We are so infuriatingly inconsistent, as the last two performances have shown.

We are absolutely capable of getting seven points from the next five games, yet at the same time equally capable of only managing two or three.

And that’s equally true of most of the teams in the whole of the bottom half.

Online RamboandBruno

« Reply #6370 on: February 02, 2020, 07:50:11 PM »
How anyone can make confident predictions about us getting/not getting any amount of points I don’t know. We are so infuriatingly inconsistent, as the last two performances have shown.

We are absolutely capable of getting seven points from the next five games, yet at the same time equally capable of only managing two or three.

Predictions....not confident predictions! 😬 think making predictions on points isn’t much different to most of the conversations on various threads discussing our imminent relegation or otherwise

Offline Luke8

« Reply #6371 on: February 02, 2020, 08:17:35 PM »

Predictions....not confident predictions! 😬 think making predictions on points isn’t much different to most of the conversations on various threads discussing our imminent relegation or otherwise

Oh, I get that. And it would be a boring thread/forum if people couldn’t or didn’t discuss that.

Was just making a more broad point about our inconsistency in terms of both results and, more so, our performances really. The Liverpool game apart, looking at them individually, I genuinely believe we can win any of our remaining fixtures, yet I won’t really be surprised at any of the ones we inevitably lose. We are one of several weird teams like that.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #6372 on: February 02, 2020, 09:26:05 PM »

Yeah, but the problem is we are way, way more likely to get the two or three than the seven, as our position in the table shows. That's the problem.

Given that, it's pretty easy to make a confident prediction.

Offline Luke8

« Reply #6373 on: February 02, 2020, 09:42:05 PM »

Yeah, but the problem is we are way, way more likely to get the two or three than the seven, as our position in the table shows. That's the problem.

Given that, it's pretty easy to make a confident prediction.

That’s also true of at least five other teams, yet there seems to be at least one unlikely/surprise result each week.

You could also make the argument that our points total in the table shows we are fairly likely to get five points from them given that’s what we are averaging across the season currently.

More pertinently, I think you have to look at us a little more in isolation since the change in formation and our results and performances have generally been improved in the seven games since then. However, we are clearly struggling with consistency as we have also had two (and a half vs. Brighton) pretty poor performances within that period.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #6374 on: February 02, 2020, 09:44:50 PM »
The problem is that we don’t have any home games against bottom of the table teams left and we have been terrible away.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal