collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 03:12:26 PM]

Ollie Watkins by KevinGage
[Today at 03:10:44 PM]

Ex- Villa Players still playing watch by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 03:07:15 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Drummond
[Today at 02:58:40 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Max Villan
[Today at 02:15:30 PM]

Peter McParland 90 today by jon collett
[Today at 02:13:38 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Ian.
[Today at 01:48:55 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by dave.woodhall
[Today at 01:23:49 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 03:12:26 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by KevinGage
[Today at 03:10:44 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air
[Today at 03:08:28 PM]

Re: Ex- Villa Players still playing watch by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 03:07:15 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 03:04:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by AV84
[Today at 03:01:55 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Hookeysmith
[Today at 02:59:06 PM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Drummond
[Today at 02:58:40 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1545625 times)

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #6180 on: January 14, 2020, 01:51:00 PM »
Calling Smith a chancer is ridiculous.

Chancer - "A person unable and/or unqualified to carry out a specific task"   am I really a million miles away?

He got us promoted which was a specific task last season. As for unqualified, he's a football manager so I'd say he is qualified.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 01:54:34 PM by Clampy »

Offline Sexual Ealing

« Reply #6181 on: January 14, 2020, 02:03:50 PM »

Chancer - "A person unable and/or unqualified to carry out a specific task"   am I really a million miles away?

You're using the Urban Dictionary to define the meaning of words now? I can suddenly see why you struggled with 'belligerent' last night.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #6182 on: January 14, 2020, 02:09:41 PM »

He got us promoted which was a specific task last season. As for unqualified, he's a football manager so I'd say he is qualified.

Specific task this season - keep us up? We shall see
Qualified ? - He has previously managed Walsall and Brentford ….. qualified to manage at a higher level ? We shall see again   

Offline Clampy

« Reply #6183 on: January 14, 2020, 02:23:30 PM »

Qualified ? - He has previously managed Walsall and Brentford ….. qualified to manage at a higher level ? We shall see again   

Still does not make him a chancer. A post riddled with desperation if ever there was one.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #6184 on: January 14, 2020, 02:28:12 PM »
The use of the word "chancer" and then attempts to justify it sound like someone digging an even bigger hole for themselves.

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #6185 on: January 14, 2020, 02:33:16 PM »

Still does not make him a chancer. A post riddled with desperation if ever there was one.

Still on the wind up.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #6186 on: January 14, 2020, 02:35:15 PM »
I think comment on poor fitness levels is a red herring as well, I don't think our players are any less fit than most teams in the league. All players need a breather at times, that's just basic biology, it's about controlling the game to give yourself a chance to do that in the right areas. Right now we're failing on both aspects of that, we're not in control of the game because we are always in a panic with the ball and when we do try to slow things down we do it in our own 3rd and invite teams to press us, which causes the mistakes that we often concede from. Simply put you can spend so much time chasing shadows without looking tired and losing concentration. We need to learn how to release pressure and give ourselves 5minutes to recover. For all the things I dislike about Bruce getting his teams to kill the contest and slow things down was almost an art form to him, he'd get the team doing it for 80 minutes and hope for a goal in the other 10.

Addressing those flaws will make us look a lot less fucked without any change to the overall conditioning of the players.

Offline Clampy

« Reply #6187 on: January 14, 2020, 02:35:54 PM »

Still on the wind up.

No, just asking someone to justify calling someone a chancer.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #6188 on: January 14, 2020, 03:32:56 PM »

You’re right, we we will see but a lot of you appear to have already made your mind up.

It’s clear to anyone paying attention that the board are going to stick with for the rest of the season at least so I’m not sure what those people arguing to get rid and discussing alternatives are hoping to achieve.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #6189 on: January 14, 2020, 04:23:58 PM »

You’re right, we we will see but a lot of you appear to have already made your mind up.

It’s clear to anyone paying attention that the board are going to stick with for the rest of the season at least so I’m not sure what those people arguing to get rid and discussing alternatives are hoping to achieve.
Fair point Chris - I respect your opinion...… post Wembley we saw lots of good signs coming out of the club and the place was awash with optimism . We have placed our faith in new owners, who on the face of it have plenty of experience in sports management and business - they must see something in Smith to have supported him with an extended contract - quite what that is I am not sure . the next few months are massive for the club.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #6190 on: January 14, 2020, 06:16:27 PM »

I agree, they have made their bed and now have to lie in it.
If they stuck after Saints then Watford then he ain’t going anywhere.
The issue now is do they get him the tools to have a fighting chance.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #6191 on: January 14, 2020, 06:25:04 PM »
Smith is clearly a competent manager; the question is at what level.  Smith had proved himself in the league below so he earned a crack.  A proper chancer, like Sherwood, had no significant history in management and plainly didn't know what he was doing.

Smith may have discovered his limit this season but he certainly isn't a chancer.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #6192 on: January 14, 2020, 07:01:12 PM »
Poor fitness levels and conditioning appear to have been a common trait throughout the squad this season … throw in a player who has not played competitive football  consistently for quite some time (in a poor Burnley side) against a well drilled, professional and fit side like Man City and you have a recipe for disaster - it is clear for anyone to see (bar Smith) that Drinkwater is hardly a model pro - if he was he would have maintained some semblance of fitness levels - don't try and kid me that he just lacks "match fitness/sharpness"
We need players that can hit the ground running - we are in deep shit and require players who will work their socks off
I`m beginning to think Smith is a bit of a "Chancer"   Brentford seem to be doing quite well without him

Sorry but Smith is certainly not a chancer

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #6193 on: January 14, 2020, 07:10:49 PM »
Smith is clearly a competent manager; the question is at what level.  Smith had proved himself in the league below so he earned a crack.  A proper chancer, like Sherwood, had no significant history in management and plainly didn't know what he was doing.

Smith may have discovered his limit this season but he certainly isn't a chancer.

Agree.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #6194 on: January 14, 2020, 07:15:03 PM »
He’s not a chancer but nor is he good enough for the Premier League. After us, I can’t imagine him managing in the top flight again.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal