collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by LeeB
[Today at 01:46:02 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by ChicagoLion
[Today at 01:44:19 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by Smirker
[Today at 01:42:44 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by paul_e
[Today at 01:40:51 PM]

Re: VAR by chrisw1
[Today at 01:40:51 PM]

Re: VAR by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 01:39:21 PM]

Re: VAR by Nev
[Today at 01:29:49 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by paul_e
[Today at 01:22:54 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1548748 times)

Offline The_ads

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #4770 on: October 02, 2019, 10:35:06 PM »
The season has gone more or less like I expected it to although we deserve to have a couple of more points on the board.  We didn't find it easy in our first season back up under Sir Graham either. I reckon we'll get better as the season goes on and yes, we'll have the odd bump or two along the way. I'd be tempted to give him the chance to get us back up even if we went down but I think we will be ok anyway.

Dean Smith should absolutely be in charge next season regardless he’s done a fantastic job. Burnley did and look at them.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #4771 on: October 03, 2019, 11:55:31 AM »
The season has gone more or less like I expected it to although we deserve to have a couple of more points on the board.  We didn't find it easy in our first season back up under Sir Graham either. I reckon we'll get better as the season goes on and yes, we'll have the odd bump or two along the way. I'd be tempted to give him the chance to get us back up even if we went down but I think we will be ok anyway.

We had a decent start in our first season back in the top flight under SGT. I remember in the first few games we draw with Millwall, won at Arsenal, drew at West Ham and beat Everton at Villa Park. I think we were doing okay until the turn of the year but had a bad couple of months and it ended up going right down to the wire. If I remember correctly the last relegation place was between us and West Ham and if they won their last two games away to Forest and Liverpool (which had been postponed due to Hillsborough) they would have stayed up and sent us down. Leroy Rosenior scored two for them in a 2-1 win at Forest and they went a goal up in their game at Anfield (at that point we were down). Luckily Liverpool stormed back and ended up winning 5-1. I think we drew 1-1 with Coventry at Villa Park in the last game.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #4772 on: October 03, 2019, 12:53:33 PM »

Dean Smith should absolutely be in charge next season regardless he’s done a fantastic job. Burnley did and look at them.

Again if he demonstrates he’s learning from the mistakes the team is making, poor game management being the principle one, and we’re improving as a side then he should absolutely keep his job. However if we continue to make the same mistakes then he shouldn’t. Nobody should be calling for him to get the chop now, but equally he doesn’t get a free pass if things don’t improve.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #4773 on: October 03, 2019, 04:18:22 PM »

Fair play to Burnley for sticking with Dyche but not many managers survive a relegation season, even managers who have won promotion the previous season.

Offline Dogtanian

• GM : 06.06.2024
« Reply #4774 on: October 04, 2019, 08:36:46 PM »
I went to a business culture ‘workshop’ thing at BCU last night at which Dean Smith was the guest speaker.

He spoke about his time at Walsall, Brentford, and Villa, about how he tried to build togetherness and a positive culture, and about how he tries to be as a manager with his plyers and the rest of the staff.  He came across really well, intelligent, passionate, and as someone who genuinely cares about people, players and fans.

I really do think he is the right guy for the job, no matter how this season turns out, and if we give him time and support he’s going to take this club places.

Offline berneboy

• John 3:16
« Reply #4775 on: October 04, 2019, 10:32:14 PM »
I went to a business culture ‘workshop’ thing at BCU last night at which Dean Smith was the guest speaker.

He spoke about his time at Walsall, Brentford, and Villa, about how he tried to build togetherness and a positive culture, and about how he tries to be as a manager with his plyers and the rest of the staff.  He came across really well, intelligent, passionate, and as someone who genuinely cares about people, players and fans.

I really do think he is the right guy for the job, no matter how this season turns out, and if we give him time and support he’s going to take this club places.

Offline villan from luton

« Reply #4776 on: October 04, 2019, 10:41:19 PM »
I think we do not deserve to be in the premier league and it is mainly down to the management of the team, along with Jack coming back of course. It was always going to be a struggle, especially early on, but I have confidence that we will improve. I think some of the football has been excellent, but we have been naïve and need to get more street wise.

Offline KRS

« Reply #4777 on: October 05, 2019, 01:53:52 AM »
I think we do not deserve to be in the premier league and it is mainly down to the management of the team, along with Jack coming back of course.
Who deserves to be in the Premier League more than the form team that won the playoffs? Surely having one of the best managers and players in the Championship along with the winning streak means we deserve it more than any other team last season?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 01:56:38 AM by KRS »

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #4778 on: October 05, 2019, 09:28:55 AM »
We did it therefore we deserve it but it is fair to say that apart from that winning streak after the Stoke game away and a few games shortly after Smith arrived we did only look like a mid table championship side. We have changed a lot of the squad anyway, as we had to do, and it will take time for them all to fully settle in and to gel. I just hope it happens in time to put another run together that picks up enough points to stay up.

Online PaulWinch again

« Reply #4779 on: October 05, 2019, 10:21:22 AM »
Come on Dean make sure the team demonstrate they’ve learnt some lessons on game management today.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #4780 on: October 05, 2019, 11:31:09 AM »
I think we do not deserve to be in the premier league and it is mainly down to the management of the team, along with Jack coming back of course. It was always going to be a struggle, especially early on, but I have confidence that we will improve. I think some of the football has been excellent, but we have been naïve and need to get more street wise.

This is a good point. I don't think many of us, including the owners, really thought this time last year that we'd get promotion so maybe we should remember that we're running before we properly learned to walk.

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #4781 on: October 05, 2019, 12:18:05 PM »

This is a good point. I don't think many of us, including the owners, really thought this time last year that we'd get promotion so maybe we should remember that we're running before we properly learned to walk.
It is a good point in a way, but I’d say instead of we did not deserve it but we certainly never dreamed of it at the beginning of this year. He’s done brilliant in a very short space of time and I’m loving the way we are trying to play. I’m absolutely convinced we’ll survive this season and build from it for next season.

Online PaulWinch again

« Reply #4782 on: October 05, 2019, 11:17:36 PM »
Good to see today, long may it continue.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #4783 on: October 06, 2019, 02:54:59 PM »
Loath to dig up the Bruce thread so I’ll stick it in here. Reading his ‘motivational’ words yesterday and had a shiver.

The gist, ICYMI:

Players are shit, don’t fancy it.

Specifically, they can’t match my attacking ambitions so I’m reverting to Benitez’s boring football.

The players can’t hide behind me any more BUT the flak stops with me.

The whole of Newcastle was against my appointment from the start (sounds familiar).

He’s become a pathetic caricature of himself. We’re so lucky we traded that numpty in for a manager 1,000 x better than him, ability and character-wise.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #4784 on: October 06, 2019, 03:52:20 PM »
Loath to dig up the Bruce thread so I’ll stick it in here. Reading his ‘motivational’ words yesterday and had a shiver.

The gist, ICYMI:

Players are shit, don’t fancy it.

Specifically, they can’t match my attacking ambitions so I’m reverting to Benitez’s boring football.

The players can’t hide behind me any more BUT the flak stops with me.

The whole of Newcastle was against my appointment from the start (sounds familiar).

He’s become a pathetic caricature of himself. We’re so lucky we traded that numpty in for a manager 1,000 x better than him, ability and character-wise.

He's spent his entire career using that argument "it's my responsibility so, even though the players are shit and I'd be fine if I didn't have to deal with such a shit squad, it's my fault, but it wouldn't be so bad if the fans could appreciate that I'm not shit, it's just the players, and the fans for not wanting me. If everyone could see that I'm a genius who is being let down by everyone else then they'd be less likely to think I'm shit".

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal