collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Goldie.7
[Today at 05:16:42 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 12:29:50 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 12:25:41 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 12:22:43 AM]

Jhon Durán - signed by eamonn
[Today at 12:10:39 AM]

Cheeee-co-o-o-o-o-o by Steve kirk
[May 22, 2024, 10:35:14 PM]

Kits 24/25 by VillaTim
[May 22, 2024, 10:23:10 PM]

Season Tickets by London Villan
[May 22, 2024, 10:09:11 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1558983 times)

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #4635 on: September 24, 2019, 06:58:28 AM »
Arsenal are touted as a top four side and we more than matched them when they had eleven on the pitch we lost the game because of errors of judgement off the pitch.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #4636 on: September 24, 2019, 07:50:26 AM »
What Dean Smith needs from the owners is something the previous rag bag army of Villa managers never ever got from Lerner or Xia, a very loud wake up call and a kick up the arse.  He has the potential to be a great manager but he could, without adequate concentration and focus become no better than a Sherwood with a Brummie accent.

Offline WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
« Reply #4637 on: September 24, 2019, 07:52:12 AM »
I'm actually more optimistic after Sunday. I know we messed up and we showed a lot of naivity and nervousness after going 2-1 up. But these are things I think we can sort out. We have a makings of a very decent team and I think we'll stay up this year.

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #4638 on: September 24, 2019, 07:53:37 AM »
What concerns me a bit (a lot, actually) is when we were at our best last season we were dominating teams home and away and playing good football into the bargain. Now we're often content to let the opposition dictate play and hope we'll nick something on the counter.

The jump in quality is obviously huge and we've seen how sides like Bournemouth and West Ham have developed since we've been away.

But when Swansea came up under Rodgers or Eddie Howe under Bournemouth, they didn't stop playing the fundamental way that had earned them promotion in the first place.  Swansea would often dominate possession even against teams with far bigger budgets and Bournemouth have pretty much always had goals in them even if they have been shaky at the back. I don't think either of them ever took the approach of 'This is the Premier League now and we'll just sit in against sides and hope for the best.'

To run counter to the current 'Smith doesn't have a Plan B' narrative, when I heard him talk about wanting to go more direct against Everton so that Jack and SJM could feed off the scraps it sounded completely out of kilter with our approach last year.

Yesterday's performance prior to the defensive howlers wasn't that bad in all honesty. But we need to show more intent at home and against sides outside of the top 4 when the game is there to be won.

I thought Dean said in pre-season he would be taking the game to the opposition or something similar? He hasn’t done this but maybe it’s hit home we don’t have sufficient quality

Offline Dogtanian

• GM : 06.06.2024
« Reply #4639 on: September 24, 2019, 08:06:43 AM »
What Dean Smith needs from the owners is something the previous rag bag army of Villa managers never ever got from Lerner or Xia, a very loud wake up call and a kick up the arse.  He has the potential to be a great manager but he could, without adequate concentration and focus become no better than a Sherwood with a Brummie accent.

I think that's a bit far, what's the poor man ever done to you?  ;D

I haven't seen anything that makes me think he isn't focused personally.  Steve Bruce is the one I always think lacks focus, he goes rubbish until the fans get on his back and then suddenly pulls a performance or a result out of the hat and then goes crap again.  What is it you've seen from Smith that makes you feel that?

Offline itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #4640 on: September 24, 2019, 08:09:08 AM »
What concerns me a bit (a lot, actually) is when we were at our best last season we were dominating teams home and away and playing good football into the bargain. Now we're often content to let the opposition dictate play and hope we'll nick something on the counter.

The jump in quality is obviously huge and we've seen how sides like Bournemouth and West Ham have developed since we've been away.

But when Swansea came up under Rodgers or Eddie Howe under Bournemouth, they didn't stop playing the fundamental way that had earned them promotion in the first place.  Swansea would often dominate possession even against teams with far bigger budgets and Bournemouth have pretty much always had goals in them even if they have been shaky at the back. I don't think either of them ever took the approach of 'This is the Premier League now and we'll just sit in against sides and hope for the best.'

To run counter to the current 'Smith doesn't have a Plan B' narrative, when I heard him talk about wanting to go more direct against Everton so that Jack and SJM could feed off the scraps it sounded completely out of kilter with our approach last year.

Yesterday's performance prior to the defensive howlers wasn't that bad in all honesty. But we need to show more intent at home and against sides outside of the top 4 when the game is there to be won.

I thought Dean said in pre-season he would be taking the game to the opposition or something similar? He hasn’t done this but maybe it’s hit home we don’t have sufficient quality
yet Norwich and Sheffield United appear to be doing a better job.

Offline manic-road

« Reply #4641 on: September 24, 2019, 08:14:02 AM »
Just shows how far Dean has taken us in less than a year, having left Arsenal disappointed not to have won.

Offline Dogtanian

« Reply #4642 on: September 24, 2019, 08:15:35 AM »

Neither Norwich or the Blades had to rebuild their squads from the bare bones over the last three months and both clubs started with a better performing first team than us anyway.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #4643 on: September 24, 2019, 08:24:40 AM »
I think he needs to be a bit more savvy with his substitutions and find another way to get us playing other than his tried and trusted 4-3-3 but I'm happy with him. I personally hope he's here for the long haul.

Offline nigel

« Reply #4644 on: September 24, 2019, 08:28:19 AM »

These two were head and shoulders the best two teams in the Championship, and are settled teams with only one or two additions. However, I've a feeling one, or both, could be found out soon.
We, on the other hand, finished fifth and have, virtually, a complete new team to gel together.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #4645 on: September 24, 2019, 08:31:06 AM »
I think he needs to be a bit more savvy with his substitutions and find another way to get us playing other than his tried and trusted 4-3-3 but I'm happy with him. I personally hope he's here for the long haul.

Exactly the same as I feel, Clampy.

Offline Luke8

« Reply #4646 on: September 24, 2019, 08:34:03 AM »
Exactly. They have had both mangers and players in place over a far greater period of time to be able to shape a squad and system to how they want to play.

And besides, it’s such a small sample size for comparisons at this stage. Take Norwich, you could look at their games against Chelsea and obviously Man City and be really impressed by how they play (and the result). Yet, they have also been comfortable beaten by both West Ham and Burnley.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #4647 on: September 24, 2019, 08:37:24 AM »
I honestly have every faith that recent pages of this thread will age very badly indeed.

Dean is the man to keep us up. It might be by a hair's breadth but that won't always be his fault either, sometimes you get the luck and the decisions and sometimes you don't.

We're not going to steamroll anyone in this league because frankly only the really quality teams do that, and we're still building. The fact that we almost got something off Arsenal away is significant.

Think we'll be okay.

Offline Dogtanian

« Reply #4648 on: September 24, 2019, 08:37:33 AM »
I do think Norwich will be relegated, to be honest.

Offline Deano's Mullet

« Reply #4649 on: September 24, 2019, 09:08:55 AM »
I do think Norwich will be relegated, to be honest.

I dont. I wouldnt be surprised if both Sheff United and Norwich survive - for one season at the very least.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal