collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Season Tickets by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 02:59:01 AM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Londonvilla
[Today at 12:21:04 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by VillaTim
[June 03, 2024, 11:59:58 PM]

Cubs/Clarets membership by Pat McMahon
[June 03, 2024, 11:59:28 PM]

Ross Barkley: Coming back? by eamonn
[June 03, 2024, 11:54:46 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by AV84
[June 03, 2024, 11:33:53 PM]

Kits 24/25 by j66acd
[June 03, 2024, 10:41:45 PM]

Past Managers, Love or Hate? by Monty
[June 03, 2024, 09:27:43 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Season Tickets by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 02:59:01 AM]

Re: Season Tickets by Dogtanian
[Today at 02:53:28 AM]

Re: Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Londonvilla
[Today at 12:21:04 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by VillaTim
[June 03, 2024, 11:59:58 PM]

Re: Cubs/Clarets membership by Pat McMahon
[June 03, 2024, 11:59:28 PM]

Re: Ross Barkley: Coming back? by eamonn
[June 03, 2024, 11:54:46 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by AV84
[June 03, 2024, 11:33:53 PM]

Re: Ross Barkley: Coming back? by Percy McCarthy
[June 03, 2024, 11:26:49 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1563821 times)

Offline Chico Hamilton III

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #4245 on: April 30, 2019, 02:35:13 PM »
Remember the deafening chorus of "USA, USA" from the Villa end at Arsenal. It was like being at the Ryder Cup or a Trump rally
was that the Barry header - first goal at the emirates game?

Mellberg weren't it?

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #4246 on: April 30, 2019, 02:39:03 PM »
I think the corporate checks and balances were in place in general for the club under Randy, the whole Football side of the club was under one persons sole control, which is how he wanted it. Unfortunately the two sides didn’t seem to speak much and when Lerner wanted to make things more joined up, MON saw this as a threat to his power and decided to leave.

A very generous way of saying that O'Neill spent a wedge of Lerner's personal fortune getting Villa to the heady heights of 6th and 5th without any trophies or Champion's League money to show for it... and when Randy decided to start trying to recoup some of that money Martin threw all of this toys out of the pram. I'm not a Randy apologist and by all accounts he wasn't a terribly nice guy in the end, but I'll struggle to ever look back on MON's years as anything but failure on all fronts.

Offline johnc

• GM : 15.02.2025
« Reply #4247 on: April 30, 2019, 02:39:37 PM »
Remember the deafening chorus of "USA, USA" from the Villa end at Arsenal. It was like being at the Ryder Cup or a Trump rally

Mellberg weren't it?
Why didn't Barry head it?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 02:52:55 PM by johnc »

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #4248 on: April 30, 2019, 02:44:46 PM »
I think the corporate checks and balances were in place in general for the club under Randy, the whole Football side of the club was under one persons sole control, which is how he wanted it. Unfortunately the two sides didn’t seem to speak much and when Lerner wanted to make things more joined up, MON saw this as a threat to his power and decided to leave.

A very generous way of saying that O'Neill spent a wedge of Lerner's personal fortune getting Villa to the heady heights of 6th and 5th without any trophies or Champion's League money to show for it... and when Randy decided to start trying to recoup some of that money Martin threw all of this toys out of the pram. I'm not a Randy apologist and by all accounts he wasn't a terribly nice guy in the end, but I'll struggle to ever look back on MON's years as anything but failure on all fronts.

I was trying to be generous as they both hold the blame for wasting a third of a billion quid and achieving the grand total of fuck all.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #4249 on: April 30, 2019, 02:48:13 PM »

Mellberg weren't it?
could’ve been. Not the first or last time I’ll be wrong. Just remember it was a pretty decent header down the other end of the ground from the Villa fans in the corner.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #4250 on: April 30, 2019, 04:16:26 PM »

I was trying to be generous as they both hold the blame for wasting a third of a billion quid and achieving the grand total of fuck all.

Agreed, and fair.

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #4251 on: April 30, 2019, 04:46:05 PM »

Mellberg weren't it?

Applause.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #4252 on: April 30, 2019, 04:51:49 PM »

Mellberg weren't it?
could’ve been. Not the first or last time I’ll be wrong. Just remember it was a pretty decent header down the other end of the ground from the Villa fans in the corner.
Twas Mellberg.

Online maidstonevillain

• GM : 26.11.2024
« Reply #4253 on: April 30, 2019, 05:52:43 PM »

Mellberg weren't it?
He was expecting to get a penalty.

Offline The Moose

• GM : 03.08.2016
« Reply #4254 on: April 30, 2019, 06:55:03 PM »
It was in front of the Villa fans - I am on the video by the corner as the corner is taken!

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #4255 on: May 01, 2019, 12:13:39 AM »

The difference is it was one of them's money.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #4256 on: May 01, 2019, 04:59:33 AM »
If you want any evidence of the same old same old approach from MO’N look no further than his current tenure at Forest. 

He pretty well dropped their most creative player Carvalho straight away and only bought him back in after they could no longer qualify for the play offs to see an immediate upturn of 3-0 against Boro with him being central to most things positive.  He really hasn’t changed one bit.

Offline Tuscans

• GM : 08.02.15
« Reply #4257 on: May 01, 2019, 11:06:47 AM »
What's Dean Smiths fathers name? Could be a nice gesture to add his name to the "My Lord" or "Claret and Blue army" songs. I dunno just an idea.

Offline XXVilla

« Reply #4258 on: May 01, 2019, 11:21:48 AM »
What's Dean Smiths fathers name? Could be a nice gesture to add his name to the "My Lord" or "Claret and Blue army" songs. I dunno just an idea.

Nah. Would you want 30,000 people singing about your family?

Offline frank black

« Reply #4259 on: May 01, 2019, 11:25:43 AM »
I believe this idea has been promoted all over social media. Not sure myself could be a nice touch?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal