collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1522606 times)

Offline BoVillan esq

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #4185 on: April 25, 2019, 09:07:45 PM »
Deano has achieved the playoffs, if he gets us through that and we get promoted back into the the big time, the Premiership, Dean Smith will become one of the hottest properties in football overnight, there will be a good few Premiership sides who aspired to do better this season and ended up mid-table or worse, they will be looking to the likes of Smith to turn things around, lucky for us he's a Villa fan but he needs to be backed big time.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #4186 on: April 25, 2019, 09:40:31 PM »
Let’s see how he reacts to his next bad run of games which we all hope won’t happen but if it does it will be as a PL club. But it will happen. He’s done brilliantly to bounce back but there is no doubt it happened with Jack returning. So while heaping praise on is fine it’s also important to point out the catalyst to the recent run. But he’s learning all the time and he’s improving.

I think he's probably more aware of that than anyone. I can see tweak of the system on the horizon so that we're not so reliant on JG, or indeed wingers who blow hot and cold. It needs to happen anyway as Grealish will be gone at some point and, if we're promoted, he won't make the difference to us that he does in the second division.

Offline TelfordVilla

« Reply #4187 on: April 25, 2019, 09:54:04 PM »
Having finally got the right man in, it is up to the club and the fans and the social media keyboard warriors to stick with Deano when the tough times come. He is an excellent head coach and  the right man for the Villa job for decades. When results turn against us it will not be because Deano has become a 'bad manager' and we can be sure that he will be doing all he can to turn it around again. Even if relegation rears its ugly head we should stick with our man as he will rebuild and bring us back stronger again.

Offline Sexual Ealing

« Reply #4188 on: April 25, 2019, 09:56:14 PM »
Having finally got the right man in, it is up to the club and the fans and the social media keyboard warriors to stick with Deano when the tough times come. He is an excellent head coach and  the right man for the Villa job for decades. When results turn against us it will not be because Deano has become a 'bad manager' and we can be sure that he will be doing all he can to turn it around again. Even if relegation rears its ugly head we should stick with our man as he will rebuild and bring us back stronger again.

Whilst I'm tempted to agree with you (not least as a fellow Telford victim!), there's fuck all chance of that happening if we look like being relegated.

Offline TelfordVilla

« Reply #4189 on: April 25, 2019, 10:14:54 PM »

Whilst I'm tempted to agree with you (not least as a fellow Telford victim!), there's fuck all chance of that happening if we look like being relegated.
Sadly, I know you are right but if/when that day comes it will be hard to find a better and more suitable head coach. It will be the fault of the players or injuries or other things out of the managers control.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #4190 on: April 26, 2019, 04:50:40 AM »
It's just nice to see them organised and competing for every ball.  We are still a bit weak in a couple of areas, although they are working hard for each other, to cover some of those gaps.  I honestly think that we will go up as Champions next season if we fail in the play offs. 

By weaknesses, subjective I know, but I mean left back (unless Hause is playing), right wing (Green needs work and Albert needs erm, a rocket) and central midfield (although Whelan has been really good just recently).
trying not to think about staying down next season. I doubt we’d necessarily win the championship next season, as I think we’d need a significant re-build after losing probably Grealish, McGinn, Abraham, Hause, Ming’s. the first two could get in most premier league squads. The last 3 probably mid-table premier clubs on the last couple of months’ showing.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 05:02:11 AM by robbo1874 »

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #4191 on: April 26, 2019, 08:30:11 AM »
Respectfully robbo I think Dean Smith has delivered us to a win win situation.  I want us to return to the Premiership this season very much but the prospect of another season with Dean Smith's Aston Villa in the Championship is not without its attractions.  Dean is the key not the individual players.  I am totally confident that with the financial backing he will get he can and will build an automatic promotion team.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #4192 on: April 26, 2019, 08:49:36 AM »
Also respectfully Brian,

We need to get out of this tinpot league to unlock the finances required to properly undo the last 3 or 4 years of damage. I’d love to see us stroll up as champions, but if we don’t go up, the side won’t be the same
Next season, but as you say the manager likely would be. I’d take the shredded nerves of a 15-13 penalty shootout win if it meant we go up this season. Honestly would.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #4193 on: April 26, 2019, 08:58:53 AM »
Respectfully robbo I think Dean Smith has delivered us to a win win situation.  I want us to return to the Premiership this season very much but the prospect of another season with Dean Smith's Aston Villa in the Championship is not without its attractions.  Dean is the key not the individual players.  I am totally confident that with the financial backing he will get he can and will build an automatic promotion team.

I'd agree with this.

Offline Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #4194 on: April 26, 2019, 09:02:19 AM »

Before the final last year I said that while I wouldn't be devastated not to go up I wasn't sure I'd feel the same after a 3rd season in the Championship but with Dean in charge I've revised my opinion. Yes, I want to prosper but this league is so absorbing and entertaining it's a half decent consolation for failing to go up but only with the caveat that we take our part playing positive, entertaining football. Dean gives us that and I would go into a fourth season with renewed optimism regardless of who departed. The Championship is more of an even competition that the PL, Norwich leading the way has proved that.

Having said all that, and taking into account my personal patience, ultimately I believe we should always be dining at the top table of football.

Offline Clampy

« Reply #4195 on: April 26, 2019, 10:12:32 AM »
Whilst I've not hated the Championship as much as I thought I would, I would like to see us get back up now. I suppose another season down here would give Smith chance to further cement his football philosophy and hopefully make us stronger but then there's no guarantee that the likes of McGinn, Grealish or Mings would still be around to help us.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #4196 on: April 26, 2019, 10:19:38 AM »
We have to remember as well that he hasn't had a pre-season, which is crucial for a coach like him in training the players to play how he wants them to. Our reliance on individuals (to some, though much less, extent) is part of the post-Bruce hangover and you don't just get rid of that in a few months.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #4197 on: April 26, 2019, 10:30:23 AM »
If we do not get promoted, there will be a big movement of players, both some we would prefer to keep and some dead wood. What we will end up with will be a better balanced squad and trained from day 1 to play progressive football. That should put us in a better position to achieve automatic promotion.

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #4198 on: April 26, 2019, 10:34:27 AM »

Sadly, I know you are right but if/when that day comes it will be hard to find a better and more suitable head coach. It will be the fault of the players or injuries or other things out of the managers control.

He's doing a fantastic job at the moment - far better than i could have ever hoped -  but suggesting he'll be a great Villa manager for decades, that he's irreplaceable and infallible is ridiculous. I love him, I loved Saunders, Taylor, Big Ron, Sir Brian and even O'Neill when he joined us, but like just about every other manager in the world, Smith is only a handful of defeats from the sack or a decent season away from being snapped up by a "bigger" club. That's the way it works - and I'm sure he's realistic enough to know that

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #4199 on: April 26, 2019, 11:05:15 AM »

He's doing a fantastic job at the moment - far better than i could have ever hoped -  but suggesting he'll be a great Villa manager for decades, that he's irreplaceable and infallible is ridiculous. I love him, I loved Saunders, Taylor, Big Ron, Sir Brian and even O'Neill when he joined us, but like just about every other manager in the world, Smith is only a handful of defeats from the sack or a decent season away from being snapped up by a "bigger" club. That's the way it works - and I'm sure he's realistic enough to know that

You're not wrong on the reality of how things work in modern football, but he is light years away from the likes of O'Neill in terms of his philosophy, style of play, approach to man management and coaching, his attitude towards the fans, public dealings etc. For all of these reasons and more, I don't think we've a hope of finding better than him for the next few years, not from the pool of managers we could attract at least. I'd be absolutely gutted if he were to leave and I hope he's with us for many years to come, in spite of the inevitable rocky periods we'll have - either transitioning to the PL, or transitioning a new squad next year if/when the likes of Grealish etc. are sold.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal