collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1547554 times)

Offline Damo70

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #3750 on: February 17, 2019, 07:57:11 PM »
Of all the managers mentioned in this thread recently. Farke, Wagner, Nuno, Jokanovic, Bielsa. Its worth noting that none of them came in during mid-season to immediate success.
Bielsa and Nuno, who are the two with immediate 'success' came in during the summer.
I'd be surprised if there are many examples of managers coming in mid season and having anything more than a new manager bounce.

My number one defence of Smith is that he came in after the season had started and I recently heard Sam Allardyce give a very detailed and credible explanation of how difficult a situation that is for a manager. Who above us in the table do we feel we should be above? For me, all things considered we should probably be above Bristol City and Small Heath. Norwich look very good, Sheffield United are now having their third very good season on the bounce, Leeds seem to have got it right after years of failing, Derby and Boro were always going to be there or thereabouts, Forest spent a lot of money and brought a lot of players in during the summer and despite a terrible season last season Albion had a bit of a boost from their battling results in the last few games and started the season with a squad that always looked capable of challenging.

Online Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #3751 on: February 17, 2019, 08:50:05 PM »

Ah. That old chestnut. The manager might not be up to it, but who would a random stranger put forward that's not as shit? And if you can't think of a name we should keep the guy who's not up to it.

It's not up to me. There are people at the club paid a lot more than my wage to decide who.

If you pushed me into a corner though, I would have to say, someone better. You know, someone who can cope with losing two players without everything turning to shit for two months.

You are correct there are people at the club paid to decide who manages the team

And

They have decided it’ll be Dean Smith!!!

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #3752 on: February 17, 2019, 09:24:11 PM »

Ah. That old chestnut. The manager might not be up to it, but who would a random stranger put forward that's not as shit? And if you can't think of a name we should keep the guy who's not up to it.

It's not up to me. There are people at the club paid a lot more than my wage to decide who.

If you pushed me into a corner though, I would have to say, someone better. You know, someone who can cope with losing two players without everything turning to shit for two months.

You are correct there are people at the club paid to decide who manages the team

And

They have decided it’ll be Dean Smith!!!

Villa 75, what a fucking cop out.  Someone better, ah that old chestnut too.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #3753 on: February 17, 2019, 09:36:13 PM »
I don’t want Smith to go

but if by some chance he does go whenever that may be I hope we go for a foreign manager
I’m absolutely pig sick of British managers

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3754 on: February 17, 2019, 09:39:45 PM »
I don’t want Smith to go

but if by some chance he does go whenever that may be I hope we go for a foreign manager

I remember reading on here once, during one of our many manager searches, somebody writing 'we've tried foreign. It didn't work.'

Offline Steve67

« Reply #3755 on: February 17, 2019, 09:46:40 PM »
We've tried everything, nothing has worked.  We face yet another squad overhaul this summer with so many players out of contract and ffp breathing heavily.  The squad looks threadbare for next season with only Chester, SJM, Grealish, hopefully a more settle Kalinic and Guilbert belonging to us and of any quality.  The rest are keeping us where we are and can go in my view.

Hopefully we sign Mings and Hause so we have some solidity.  Yet another summer of turmoil seems to have become the Villa way.  Three managers since we got relegated.  All of this tells me that we are working to a plan but it still hasn't began to bed in yet.  Stick or twist, tough call.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 09:50:04 PM by Newby »

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3756 on: February 17, 2019, 09:50:05 PM »
We've tried everything, nothing has worked. 

I know. I just thought it funny/baffling that somebody thought 'foreign' was a style of football management.

Offline Steve67

« Reply #3757 on: February 17, 2019, 09:54:44 PM »
We've tried everything, nothing has worked. 

I know. I just thought it funny/baffling that somebody thought 'foreign' was a style of football management.

I guess it is as much a style as appointing a British manager is.  Villa, being the founders of the sport, perhaps we will be the first club to appoint an alien.  Fuck it, we've tried everything else.  Having said that, Blackpool and QPR may have beaten us to it when they appointed Ian Holloway!

Offline Villatillidie1982

« Reply #3758 on: February 17, 2019, 09:57:07 PM »
So who are we going to beat in our next few games? Stoke away draw, Derby home lose, Small Heath lose. Or we kid ourselves all is fine and we’re going to win every game! We are in a very bad place & the club & fans need to wake up to this. Another poor manager appointment.
we are in a bad place but it isn't a poor manager appointment. Give him some time. He can only work with what he has. Ramsey and McGinn with some decent youngsters will get us up next year. Given what went on in the summer this year was always destined to be a dead loss. That's why I had some sympathy for Bruce.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #3759 on: February 17, 2019, 09:57:42 PM »
It's true. Venglos, Garde and RDM are proof of it. Fancy dan foreigners have no place over here. Same goes for players, how many goals has Messi scored away to Stoke?

Big fat Sam's claret and blue army!

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #3760 on: February 17, 2019, 10:00:18 PM »
I don’t want Smith to go

I remember reading on here once, during one of our many manager searches, somebody writing 'we've tried foreign. It didn't work.'

In fact, benevolent Uncle Doug was ahead of his time with Dr. Jo. We blaized the trail, so to speak.

Tim Sherwood was the ghost of Christmas Past who came to put things right or rightsize us downwards after the ministrations of Dr. Gerard.

Sometimes I'm sure
That I've stood like this before
The words that I heard then were much the same
It's just an old Greek Tragedy they're acting here
Held over by popular aclaim
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 10:12:53 PM by adrenachrome »

Offline Steve67

« Reply #3761 on: February 17, 2019, 10:01:09 PM »
Why go for Fat Sam Mr Shin, when Mourinho and Conte are both available?   Erm, and super David Moyes.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 10:04:45 PM by Newby »

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #3762 on: February 17, 2019, 10:02:44 PM »
We have come close more than once to appointing the first humanoid, namely Steve McClaren.  His language implant failed and he suddenly started to speak with a Dutch accent.  It was a dead giveaway.

Offline Steve67

« Reply #3763 on: February 17, 2019, 10:05:38 PM »
We have come close more than once to appointing the first humanoid, namely Steve McClaren.  His language implant failed and he suddenly started to speak with a Dutch accent.  It was a dead giveaway.

I believe the same thing happened to one Joey Barton too Brian!

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #3764 on: February 17, 2019, 10:09:11 PM »
Newby, you are confusing humanoids with mutants.  Barton is a mutant.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal