collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1546829 times)

Online KRS

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #3630 on: February 17, 2019, 01:44:16 AM »
So on the basis that most of the following are shit, old, slow and not fit to where the shirt...

Whelan (out of contract)
Jedinak (out of contract)
Hutton (out of contract)
Taylor (out of contract)
Hourihane
Adomah
Kodjia
Elmo
BB
El Ghazi (loan)

Who should Smith pick to fill in the blanks, given the injuries and bans...

• Kalanic
  • Hause (loan)
  • Mings (loan)
  • Elphick (out of contract)
  • ?
  • Green
  • Ramsey
  • ?
  • ?
  • ?
  • Abraham

Banned/Injured:
SJM
Grealish
Carroll (loan)
Lansbury
Axel (loan)
Davis
Richards (presumed dead)

Out on loan (for those that keep asking why O'Hare and RHM aren't given a chance):
O'Hare
RHM
Bree
Hogan
Clark
Fat Ross
RDL (out of contract?)
Gardner (out of contract?)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 02:35:59 AM by KRS »

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #3631 on: February 17, 2019, 01:59:12 AM »
That’s the point KRS, take  4 from the bottom deck including Jack and that looks like a team.
Take any 4 from the top and it looks like a defeat.

Online KRS

« Reply #3632 on: February 17, 2019, 02:03:16 AM »
Exactly...and I agree. I’m just putting it out there in black and white so those criticising Smith for not changing the team or formation can see the clusterfuck dilemma that Smith has.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #3633 on: February 17, 2019, 02:21:55 AM »
You forgot El Ghazi, Davis and Micah. Loads of great options!

Online KRS

« Reply #3634 on: February 17, 2019, 02:23:10 AM »
Good point well made...I'll add to the list!

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #3635 on: February 17, 2019, 02:30:31 AM »
Exactly...and I agree. I’m just putting it out there in black and white so those criticising Smith for not changing the team or formation can see the clusterfuck dilemma that Smith has.

Yes. We have to believe he is planning for next season, but it's difficult to come out and say it for fairly obvious reasons. Quite a few of us thought the season was over after the result at Brentford but there is no way that that the club could admit that.

It is going to be a quite difficult period for DS if he needs to keep the fan base onside.

Online KRS

« Reply #3636 on: February 17, 2019, 02:43:34 AM »
Yep the next 2 games (Stoke and Derby) in particular are bordering on mission impossible for Smith to get any points with SJM out and none of the injured players expected to make a return. Hopefully we'll be in better shape for the Blose game at the Sty.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #3637 on: February 17, 2019, 02:46:12 AM »
But these performances are new level low bad, and it's not as though it's a couple of games. Yes of course sitting at Chelsea through all 8 goals was awful but they had Hazard, Lampard, etc, whch is incomparable to what Wigan put out six weeks ago against us. This is far, far worse.

14 games is a long run for performances of this particular level of to go on for. There have been no glimmers of hope or anything to latch onto. To go into Wigan away using the same formation after the Swansea cup game seemed silly at the time, but to then play the Hull game with the same formation and so on, and so on. People say he needs his own players, but you can't go through a whole season using only one tactic if you want to be successful. Teams will work you out and it's too easy to prepare for. We sign a load of players to play this 4-3-3, one or two get injured, and we're stuffed again next season. It's not stupid to say that because the evidence is there from this season to show he can't handle it. And that has to be considered when it comes to deciding whether he should be given time. So far he's failing massively. The players might well have their faults but they are not THIS bad.

And people say no short term fix is good. Well you're a lot better off getting promoted and coming back down because you get the parachute payments again. Get promoted with a short term fix if needs be (just because Bruce didn't work doesn't mean somebody else might not), then look to do the rebuild and change the philosophy of the club, not go for a long term solution with a manager who evidently isn't up to the job and is currently cementing us as a lower end of the championship side. Crystal Palace took 4 weeks to sack De Boer when they realised they'd got it wrong. We have got this one wrong, and there is no point giving the wrong person time. Yes the merry go round of Villa managers needs to stop, but only when we find the right person, and that is looking more certain that that person isn't Dean Smith

I'd say a lot of that is fair.

I'm not at the stage where I want Smith gone. But you don't get an extended period of playing this way with no consequences.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #3638 on: February 17, 2019, 04:31:06 AM »
I wish he would just come out and tell it as it is.

Offline LowerNorthStand

« Reply #3639 on: February 17, 2019, 07:07:20 AM »
Smith has a hell of a tough job ahead of him. These are ALL the players who are out of contract on 20.06.19 according to transfermarkt.com

Bunn
Steer
-Hutton
-Elphick
Richards
-Hause (Loan)
-Mings (Loan)
-Tuanzebe (Loan)
-Whelan
Jedinak

-Ghazi (Loan)
Carroll (Loan)

-Abraham (Loan)

So at least half the current starting team will be gone. And most of the defence.

I think this could be a blessing in disguise but it could potentially get even worse if we cant get/afford better players to come in to replace this lot.

Online OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #3640 on: February 17, 2019, 07:21:34 AM »
Better players? I’m happy to see all of those players we own leaving, while we have options on Hause, Ming’s and Carrol.

Add ElHam, Hogan, Angela, Hourihane and Fat Ross and rebuild the foundations.

Sure a massive job but we all knew that.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #3641 on: February 17, 2019, 07:31:55 AM »
This is a crisis on the same scale as we faced when Vic Crowe was replaced as manager.  We need the same qualities from Dean Smith as those displayed by Ron Saunders.  Dean must not crumble.  There is no quick or easy solution to the mess we are in but the rebuild must start now.  If we wait until the summer to start the reconstruction we will face another season of playing catch up.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #3642 on: February 17, 2019, 07:38:07 AM »
everyone keeps failing to mention we also own Tishbola. presumably he still has a year left on his contract come June? Isn't RDL's contract up in the summer too?

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #3643 on: February 17, 2019, 07:48:50 AM »
Sack Smith, install 3rd manager. Watch him flounder with the diabolical midfield options. Watch him win one in 6, sack him appoint 4th manager, last 5 games. Sack him. Appoint new manager in summer. Pot bare for transfers owing to compensation, poor start, sack him.

Online Three Spires Villa

« Reply #3644 on: February 17, 2019, 08:08:28 AM »
Sack Smith, install 3rd manager. Watch him flounder with the diabolical midfield options. Watch him win one in 6, sack him appoint 4th manager, last 5 games. Sack him. Appoint new manager in summer. Pot bare for transfers owing to compensation, poor start, sack him.

That sounds like the pundits on TV and radio, on your basis you never sack anyone. At some point a manager, not talking about DS, has to go, what are your tipping points, after a relegation, after 1 win in 20, after 5 seasons of treading water?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal