collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Kits 24/25 by j66acd
[Today at 10:41:45 PM]

Ross Barkley: Coming back? by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:39:23 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Des Little
[Today at 10:33:52 PM]

Season Tickets by Aldridge Villa
[Today at 10:31:44 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by DB
[Today at 10:25:45 PM]

Past Managers, Love or Hate? by Monty
[Today at 09:27:43 PM]

Tennis 2024 by Monty
[Today at 09:25:59 PM]

Cubs/Clarets membership by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 08:43:53 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Kits 24/25 by j66acd
[Today at 10:41:45 PM]

Re: Ross Barkley: Coming back? by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:39:23 PM]

Re: Kits 24/25 by Des Little
[Today at 10:36:51 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Des Little
[Today at 10:33:52 PM]

Re: Season Tickets by Aldridge Villa
[Today at 10:31:44 PM]

Re: Ross Barkley: Coming back? by Des Little
[Today at 10:29:00 PM]

Re: Season Tickets by dalians umbrella
[Today at 10:26:07 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by DB
[Today at 10:25:45 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1563750 times)

Offline Three Spires Villa

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #3480 on: February 16, 2019, 05:22:43 PM »
If I were the owners I would be getting David Wagner's phone number. He's starting to look out of his depth and won't last the season if this continues.

How did Wagnar do in his first season. He took over when they were 19th. Have a guess where they finished.

He's too loyal to the system that these players can't work to and even now with the lack of central options, Whelan and Hourihane shouldn't be anywhere near the side.

Yep agree

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #3481 on: February 16, 2019, 05:24:42 PM »
No direction out there on the pitch and that’s the worrying thing. Even Bruce got some sort of tune out of the present crop even if it was off key. Sorry but no game plan = nil points

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #3482 on: February 16, 2019, 05:27:55 PM »
I think like so often in life, once it starts going wrong everything does. The defence is shit because of injury, a weak midfield and players who simply don't make the grade. The midfield lose the one player that makes their lacking talent look competent in this system. Up front, we have a disinterested player who can't get over not being number one, and a main striker who doesn't seem to be able to hit the side of a barn even after breaking a club record.

Give us something. A new player, a new partnership. Anything.

Offline goldenjimi

« Reply #3483 on: February 16, 2019, 05:29:04 PM »
If I were the owners I would be getting David Wagner's phone number. He's starting to look out of his depth and won't last the season if this continues.

How did Wagnar do in his first season. He took over when they were 19th. Have a guess where they finished.

He's too loyal to the system that these players can't work to and even now with the lack of central options, Whelan and Hourihane shouldn't be anywhere near the side.

Offline goldenjimi

« Reply #3484 on: February 16, 2019, 05:35:13 PM »

That's a fair point.

We need to see some progress with Smith though, surely he should have tried a different formation by now, instead of just shuffling the same few players about.  His subs are always like for like and never impact the game.

Would love it to work with Smith but it's getting harder and harder to see it happening.

Online KRS

« Reply #3485 on: February 16, 2019, 05:43:00 PM »
I agree that the likes of Hologram, Whelan, Jedinak and BB shouldn't be any where near the squad, but who is Smith supposed to replace them with during the season? As far as I can see, he doesn't have any options and his hands are tied until the season is over.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #3486 on: February 16, 2019, 05:43:54 PM »
Simply has to change the formation now. Atrocious run.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #3487 on: February 16, 2019, 05:44:30 PM »
Simply has to change the formation now. Atrocious run.

SJM is suspended so here's his chance, bet he doesn't though.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #3488 on: February 16, 2019, 05:44:43 PM »
Play Ramsey. Kid gave it away a few times, but made some.decent forward runs into space.

Play 2 in midfield. Until Jack is back, does it really matter? We're not going up, we're not going down and the form is atrocious anyway.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #3489 on: February 16, 2019, 05:57:57 PM »
I suppose we shouldn't be surprised - appoint a manager who normally achieves mid table finishes and you get ......
Yes he has had to put up with the loss of injured players but according to some posters on here we have the strongest squad in the league :(
I think he has hid behind the loss of Grealish - yes he is our key player but we have placed an over reliance on the player - like all of us I want Smith to succeed and he needs time but the clock is already ticking- let's  face it the club is in a mess again and some leadership is required

Offline XXVilla

« Reply #3490 on: February 16, 2019, 06:06:08 PM »
He’s become Steve Bruce already

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #3491 on: February 16, 2019, 06:06:20 PM »
good job we went out the cups early on so we could concentrate on this league

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #3492 on: February 16, 2019, 06:06:46 PM »
I don't think he has hidden behind the loss of Grealish. I think everybody has created a hiding place for him. Smith hasn't said much about why it's not working and until the article in the last couple of days hasn't really gone into detail about what the plan is or why we're playing like we're playing. Yet somehow he's beyond reproach. Some things he can't control, but there is loads he can. That's what I'm most annoyed about - the acceptance of the idea that Smith simply can't get a tune out the squad because they're too dumb or unathletic to do what he wants them to.

Offline Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #3493 on: February 16, 2019, 06:07:47 PM »
I never had you down as being born in the nineteenth century Louise.

Sorry I missed this post!

Simple explanation.
Time travel, mr. u.
I was off visiting 2057 when the Villa won the FA Cup again.  Oh, the celebrations!

Online KRS

« Reply #3494 on: February 16, 2019, 06:11:39 PM »
Unfortunately I don't think he can make wholesale changes. Our best young players are out on loan, and he must know that performances/results will be even worse if he drops these so called first team players.

@VCTM - please don't try and under value the loss of Grealish and Axel, and don't listen to anyone that claims we have the strongest squad in the league. Any team would miss both of those players and they were instrumental to the performances and results when Smith first came in. Without them we are a poor average mid table Championship team because that is the level of the players we have left.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal