collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Season Tickets by amfy
[Today at 08:03:58 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dave
[Today at 07:56:40 AM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Londonvilla
[Today at 12:21:04 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by VillaTim
[June 03, 2024, 11:59:58 PM]

Cubs/Clarets membership by Pat McMahon
[June 03, 2024, 11:59:28 PM]

Ross Barkley: Coming back? by eamonn
[June 03, 2024, 11:54:46 PM]

Kits 24/25 by j66acd
[June 03, 2024, 10:41:45 PM]

Past Managers, Love or Hate? by Monty
[June 03, 2024, 09:27:43 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Season Tickets by amfy
[Today at 08:03:58 AM]

Re: Season Tickets by frank black
[Today at 08:00:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dave
[Today at 07:56:40 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 07:45:59 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Meanwood Villa
[Today at 07:42:16 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Meanwood Villa
[Today at 07:41:26 AM]

Re: Season Tickets by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:32:04 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by RamboandBruno
[Today at 07:24:46 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1563855 times)

Online Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #3255 on: February 13, 2019, 11:23:26 PM »
Sorry Ads but I think Green is pony. He might come good and you're absolutely right to try but I see nothing in him that tells me he gonna be a good winger. Might need to switch positions perhaps.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #3256 on: February 13, 2019, 11:25:14 PM »
I didn't want Smith but was and still am willing to give him time.

But the evidence is stacking up that he's not as good an appointment as was first thought.

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #3257 on: February 13, 2019, 11:25:31 PM »
Sorry Ads but I think Green is pony. He might come good and you're absolutely right to try but I see nothing in him that tells me he gonna be a good winger. Might need to switch positions perhaps.

We played better after he came on.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #3258 on: February 13, 2019, 11:27:31 PM »
Let's find out. We know Albert has had it, Green will be here next season. I happen to disagree and think we have a very raw talent, who hasn't played enough senior games.

This is Smith's failing, the repetition of the same faces and system when it's not working.

Online Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #3259 on: February 13, 2019, 11:28:30 PM »

We played better after he came on.

He wasted every cross he had, lost the ball several times.  I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder when it comes to Green for me. I just don't rate the chap.

Offline cdward

« Reply #3260 on: February 13, 2019, 11:35:05 PM »
Maybe saying the players have given up is too blunt. Demotivated? Disenfranchised? Whatever it is it's what professional footballers can do. Look at Man U players during and after Mourinho.

I think Smith is keeping our younger players, Green, Davis, O'Hare out of it until next season, and there will be a massive rebuilding job.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #3261 on: February 13, 2019, 11:51:09 PM »
Only Kalinic, Guilbert, Grealish and McGinn make the starting line up. The rest of the squad needs to be purchased or loaned in. Massive task ahead.

I would like us to sign Mings full time. Young and can play two positions reasonably well (going on LB by him playing well previously for Ipswich). If we get rid of Hutton, AEM and Taylor that should give us enough scope in the budget to do it.

Online tomd2103

« Reply #3262 on: February 14, 2019, 12:19:50 AM »
Let's find out. We know Albert has had it, Green will be here next season. I happen to disagree and think we have a very raw talent, who hasn't played enough senior games.

This is Smith's failing, the repetition of the same faces and system when it's not working.

He hasn't really got much choice when it comes to personnel though Ads, so I guess he has to use the same faces.  I find his unwillingness to change the formation a bit concerning.  It hasn't been working for some weeks, but he keeps persisting with it. 

I am sure him and many others at the club wish the season could end now.  It could very messy from here on in though, especially with games against the Albion and Blues between now and then.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #3263 on: February 14, 2019, 12:24:04 AM »
I’d be less worried if I could decipher a style of play, a pattern that players play to and a general belief that they actually know what they’re doing. Unfortunately, this isn’t the case, we are going from back to front via hoofball, and our ability to pass, move and create space is next to nothing. At present I see nothing different to anything outer last three managers have dished up, which is basically anti football.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #3264 on: February 14, 2019, 01:28:20 AM »
I don't think we will have wingers next season. We will have 5 in midfield who will have better energy, pace and ball retention skills than any of these wankers we have now. What Smith is realizing very quickly is that most of these fuckers are worthless and the sooner they are of the books the better.

I agree with you 100% but how many years now have we been saying exactly the same thing?

I know. I suppose my naivety or faith is what I have seen Brentford do to us the last few years and most of tonight. That one day we can be like them...

Be like Brentford. Fuck me.

Offline LowerNorthStand

« Reply #3265 on: February 14, 2019, 02:55:11 AM »
I don't think we will have wingers next season. We will have 5 in midfield who will have better energy, pace and ball retention skills than any of these wankers we have now. What Smith is realizing very quickly is that most of these fuckers are worthless and the sooner they are of the books the better.

I agree with you 100% but how many years now have we been saying exactly the same thing?

I know. I suppose my naivety or faith is what I have seen Brentford do to us the last few years and most of tonight. That one day we can be like them...

Be like Brentford. Fuck me.

They play us off the park. EVERY SINGLE TIME  :P

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #3266 on: February 14, 2019, 02:58:09 AM »
Dean Smith has tried to mix and match - but he is just making it worse at the moment.  I never thought it was possible to have a worse left back than Taylor - wrong.

Ming decent defender but  he hoofs the thing.
Hause - total German Shepard
Keeper -no better than Steer
Wingers - not a decent one amongst the three of them.

A big rethink in the summer.

Offline LowerNorthStand

« Reply #3267 on: February 14, 2019, 03:02:26 AM »
I didn't want Smith but was and still am willing to give him time.

But the evidence is stacking up that he's not as good an appointment as was first thought.

A team full of millionaires thinking they are the dogs bollocks because they play for Aston Villa. That's the reality. They are largely poor at what they do. Looked decent in December but we have fallen off a cliff since then. They are lazy.

I cant see them being much bothered. From what I saw tonight they struggle to run with a ball. Boneheads.

How about a performance related monthly pay Dean Smith?... to focus a few minds 8)

The manager has his job cut out. And in order to do a good job he needs to cut into this team. It will take three transfer windows at least.

No more journey men or big buck signing donkeys. Maupay signing for 2 million for Brentford tells you everything. Give me more McGinn's and less Kodjia`s

Offline KRS

« Reply #3268 on: February 14, 2019, 05:05:13 AM »
Is it any real surprise we're so shit given the squad Smith inherited from Bruce?! Someone posted something last week which was very true...a lot of ppl on here expect a new manager to come in, sprinkle some magic dust and expect him to turn a load of over paid and over rated shite players into league winner.

When he arrived, we had pretty much a fully fit squad and we certainly had a new manager bounce as Smith was praising the players for how quickly they were learning and adapting to the new style of play...this showed in both performances and results. What happened next has been a load of injuries to some of our best players...Grealish, Axel, Chester...the consequence has been those players have had to be replaced by others that are quite simply not good enough and performances have dropped off a cliff. Add in injuries to Adomah and BB who have come back as even worse versions than they were then it comes as no surprise.

Other than SJM, the best/only options available in midfield are Whelan (old, slow and shite), Hologram (lightweight and shite), Jedinak (old, slow, shite and can't pass), Adomah (never been that good), BB (always been shite), Kodjia (half the player since injured), El Ghazi (one game wonder) and Green (barely played but not shown us too much). These players are either past it, on the way out of the club or just not arsed so it's no wonder why we fail to create anything, we lose possession and it's back to the wall again with a creaking defence.

Speaking of which...Smith was left with one fit CB thanks to Bruce, and a whole host of useless shite as a supporting cast...step forward Hutton, Elmo and Taylor. When the best players in the back line are the recalled Elphick and a loanee from Bournemouth to lead the back line then you know you're in a whole world of shit. The less said about the clusterfuck collection of goalkeepers we have at the club the better.

It's hard to pin the drop in performances on losing Grealish and Axel, but there's no other explanation as to how things can turn to shit so quickly...it's more than just a coincidence that if you put shit players on the pitch to replace them then you end up with a shit team playing shit football. Dean Smith doesn't have any anti-shit magic dust.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 05:15:02 AM by KRS »

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #3269 on: February 14, 2019, 07:00:58 AM »
I can't help but think that in some peoples minds the squad has gone from being highly rated / poorly coached to a pile of shite / un-improvable without major surgery.  I get why people want to cut DS slack - I think almost all of us do actually.  But this run is dire and the football of late is utter bilge. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal