collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1547110 times)

Offline sid1964

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #2505 on: January 16, 2019, 12:40:55 PM »
Give Smith a chance he has only been a few weeks - time to judge him will be from the start of next season (i don't think we will make the play off this season)

Offline Villa75

« Reply #2506 on: January 16, 2019, 12:47:00 PM »
I'm really confused as to what being argued here?

I think it's.....

The decent performances we're all down to the brilliance of Smith, despite a "turd of a squad".

The recent diabolical performances are nothing to do with Smith, but all down to the "turd of a squad".

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #2507 on: January 16, 2019, 12:53:33 PM »
Right. Whose argued those points then?

Offline Villa75

« Reply #2508 on: January 16, 2019, 12:57:08 PM »

That's the general gist, to me.

How do you see it?

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2509 on: January 16, 2019, 12:57:29 PM »
Nice bit of history changing there but the main narrative when Bruce was in charge was that this was the best squad in the championship who any other club would love to have and that any manager would be able to get better performance and results out of.

You can deny it all you want but you know that is what was being said.

Stop making shit up, almost everyone complained about the state our defence was left in, a huge amount of the criticism of Bruce in September/October was directly related to that. There were plenty of people who thought he was dragging our attacking play down a level and the performances in the first couple of months under Smith proved that to be the case, things have gone off the rails in the last 5-6 games, everyone knows that but the attacking play has quite clearly been better under Smith, denying that is a ridiculous position to take.

Wondered when the hypocrite would show up. It's been getting worse and worse under Smith now and Wigan was bad enough that anyone should be scared. It's the worst performance I've ever seen.

But Paul you keep going with you Bruce = evil and Smith = unquestionable. Paul let's not ignore the fact that under Bruce we scored in every game this season it's only under Smith we have failed to score. But hey say I'm talking shit because it doesn't fit your narrative.

In fact I'm getting sick of you hypocrisy so from now on I don't care about the shit you spout. Like saying it's too early to judge Smith but then admitting you were having a pop about Bruce right from the start, if that's not being a hypocrite then I don't know what is.

Worst performance you've ever seen - hyperbole.

Smith = unquestionable - evidence please.

Bruce = evil - evidence here as well actually, you'll find me calling him lazy, unimaginative and shit but not evil so I call hyperbole again.

Attacking play, let's break it down a little shall we ...
Bruce played 11, scored 19, 1.73 per game
Smith played 15, scored 29, 1.93 per game

Oh look I'm right and you're wrong, what a surprise.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hypocrite

2 : a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings

I'll hold my hand up to that but I'm going to caveat it slightly. If we have a manager who is a promotion expert and has been given the job on the back of that title then, for me, he delivers promotion or he should be sacked. If we have a manager who is a coach that improves players and gets teams playing exciting attacking football then I'm willing to give him more time to see if he can do that because even if the results aren't quite there I have hope that the work on the training ground i laying the groundwork for better things, even if that ultimately comes from another manager.

I think that's fairly clear that I'm not a hypocrite so you can give that shit a rest now.

Offline Ads

« Reply #2510 on: January 16, 2019, 01:01:23 PM »
I don't know, lots of people have been picking at things Smith has got wrong so I'm not sure this concept of infalability has come from.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2511 on: January 16, 2019, 01:03:58 PM »
I don't know, lots of people have been picking at things Smith has got wrong so I'm not sure this concept of infalability has come from.

it's a fantasy made up by stuart so he can insult people that didn't like Bruce.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2512 on: January 16, 2019, 01:16:21 PM »

it's a fantasy made up by stuart so he can insult people that didn't like Bruce.

Coming from someone who once described engaging on here akin to talking to a room full of AD/HD children, that did make me smile.

Online The Edge

« Reply #2513 on: January 16, 2019, 01:17:02 PM »
Partly me. I was trying to defend Smith after he was being called out for having no plan b. I pointed out that he was still working with Bruce's squad. I called it a turd of a squad. I've since offered to change that to a turd of a defence as I felt that was more accurate. My offer was rejected. Now we seem to have descended into a pro/anti Bruce debate.  Now it just feels like groundhog day.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 01:30:20 PM by The Edge »

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2514 on: January 16, 2019, 01:19:56 PM »
I haven't seen anybody state that Smith should be sacked, and I haven't seen anybody say that he's infallible.  Most people were pleased with the start he made, are a lot less pleased at the moment, but can see that he's got work to do, and needs time to right the problems in the squad.  Nothing too controversial in there, is there?

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #2515 on: January 16, 2019, 01:23:03 PM »
I haven't seen anybody state that Smith should be sacked, and I haven't seen anybody say that he's infallible.  Most people were pleased with the start he made, are a lot less pleased at the moment, but can see that he's got work to do, and needs time to right the problems in the squad.  Nothing too controversial in there, is there?

Come on Risso it’s the internet, you get no prizes or likes for sensible opinions.

Online Clampy

« Reply #2516 on: January 16, 2019, 01:24:45 PM »
I understand what Stuart is getting at but he just needs to sit back and see what develops. Smith took the plaudits a few weeks ago, but he needs to fix the problems now but fuck me, it's got to improve from the Wigan performance.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2517 on: January 16, 2019, 01:26:42 PM »
I understand what Stuart is getting at but he just needs to sit back and see what develops. Smith took the plaudits a few weeks ago, but he needs to fix the problems now but fuck me, it's got to improve from the Wigan performance.

It's hard to imagine that it could be worse.  Hopefully it's given the players, the manager and the owners a timely kick up the backside.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #2518 on: January 16, 2019, 01:51:38 PM »
The difference between Bruce and Smith is for me is simple

we all know what Bruce does, he's had promotions and success but he does the same thing everywhere he goes, he will do exactly the same at Sheff Wed, same as Lambert, Pulis, Allardyce will do exactly the same wherever they happen to be
some people are happy with that, it's tried and tested, sometimes it works good enough to get promotion, sometimes it doesn't and becomes difficult to watch
there was never a point when I wanted Bruce out because I never wanted him in, I don't like the football he plays and never will, same goes for the other names mentioned above

with Smith we just don't know what will happen,we don't know what to expect,  we don't know if he can step up and bring his style of play and build a team to deliver success
so this brings hope
He might end up like most of the British type managers or he might end up like Eddie Howe, we just don't know yet

but that the difference
we knew what we were getting with Bruce we don't with Smith and that gives us the chance to hope for greater things and why we must keep backing him
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 01:53:16 PM by john e »

Offline Ads

« Reply #2519 on: January 16, 2019, 01:55:52 PM »
Worth noting Wagnar took over with Huddersfield in 19th, finished in 19th and then went up.

Some times radical change takes time. Hopefully we recover quicker than they did from Bruce signing expensive shite.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal