collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by The Edge
[Today at 07:43:43 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Demitri_C
[Today at 07:39:20 PM]

Champions League Contention by Demitri_C
[Today at 07:38:12 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by nigel
[Today at 07:34:30 PM]

Robin Olsen by VillaTim
[Today at 07:34:00 PM]

VAR by astonvilla82
[Today at 07:33:20 PM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by Smithy
[Today at 07:26:06 PM]

Crystal Palace by Fingers
[Today at 07:18:14 PM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1547523 times)

Offline footyskillz

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #2430 on: January 14, 2019, 06:08:09 PM »
All for people variety of views and opinions however , to understand that it's how it is now for grumble and discontent to come along at first signs of , well basically, not winning .

I can only imagine people are confused and
think it's football from previous time and era.

Get this, in my opinion:coaches and managers are under pressure from the get go.

Look at Forest no manager/coach has completed a full season since 2012  (Billy Davies)

Stoke have changed on several managers in the last year.

The manager/coach is there to work with the players he has at the time of his reign and it's both a combination of results and performances that get judged.

The limited time factor for tenure is how it is.

The majority of clubs will move on managers and coaches like players get moved on

I'm well aware of that and i just really understand that football managers and coaches are like players and will be shipped out /dropped if they don't meet requirements.

Ask yourself this :
Why should anyone now in football get the time ?
(As much as why players or coaches / managers do get time)

What is good is with Smith we have a loyal coach

You can't say that for majority of clubs .

So it looks like there been a business a d footballing decision to take on a coach who can build  with a footballing identity.

The dean Smith play and brand of football hasn't got the years of experience of other plus there is the lack of top level experience.

However there is a knowledge , a clear idea of ideal tactics and footballing style.

It will take time to implement it and having Dean Smith means he will get the time.

That said as football is more here and now that ever the long game can be painful, confusing and frustrating.

I think when it clicks at a club it clicks and there is super potential for this .

It's not the way of the modern game , and general society, to give much time to things without satisfaction, so it will be interesting development all round

Dean Smith has showed signs of giving satisfaction .

Let's hope for more climaxes as it's a case of slowly being turned on and making love rather than splurting it all on a quickie.

Up the villa

« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 06:23:28 PM by footyskillz »

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #2431 on: January 14, 2019, 06:29:17 PM »
I didn’t expect the sexual tangent, footyskillz!

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2432 on: January 14, 2019, 06:59:49 PM »
Again, who has suggested sacking Smith? Haven’t seen anything like that said, even on Twitter.

Offline CT Villan

« Reply #2433 on: January 14, 2019, 07:05:30 PM »
Missing my point, I don't want Smith sacked, but the whole "not that type of club" when MON was probably the last full time manager to reach the 30 game mark without a large number of the support either wanting them gone or at least seriously questioning them is saft.

Granted I haven't gone back and checked previous threads, but I feel like Lambert was afforded a tremendous amount of time before we wanted him out. Like I say, I could be talking out my arse - it's a particular talent of mine.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #2434 on: January 14, 2019, 07:08:50 PM »
If Smith is tantric sex then Bruce was death by autoerotic asphyxiation.

Offline stuart445

« Reply #2435 on: January 14, 2019, 07:11:51 PM »
Missing my point, I don't want Smith sacked, but the whole "not that type of club" when MON was probably the last full time manager to reach the 30 game mark without a large number of the support either wanting them gone or at least seriously questioning them is saft. We are that type of club, and I include myself in that as I wanted a fair few of them gone pretty sharpish and i'm not going to change how we've been as a fan base just because I'm in favour of Smith.

And some gave Bruce that long, go look at the Bruce out thread that was started after 4 months to see plenty also wanted him gone after less than half a season, including me.

I'll hold my hand up to that but I'm going to caveat it slightly. If we have a manager who is a promotion expert and has been given the job on the back of that title then, for me, he delivers promotion or he should be sacked. If we have a manager who is a coach that improves players and gets teams playing exciting attacking football then I'm willing to give him more time to see if he can do that because even if the results aren't quite there I have hope that the work on the training ground i laying the groundwork for better things, even if that ultimately comes from another manager. Some people may think I'm a hypocrite to be so vocal against one manager and then give the next much more slack but I'm just judging them on their own criteria, if your only focus is results and how they're achieved makes no difference then you're always in danger if you can't deliver them consistently that was always my biggest issue with Bruce.

RDM I just didn't care, I didn't particularly want him to stay but I had concerns that the replacement would just be someone from the merry-go-round and we'd be straight back to making the sort of mistakes that caused the relegation in the first place. I'd personally have given him another 7-8 games with his full squad before I moved him on but it was fairly obvious that Wyness wanted his man in.

You're right,  hypocrite is spot on.

Offline stuart445

« Reply #2436 on: January 14, 2019, 07:25:18 PM »
Just read very worrying comment from a Brentford Fan.  Some of it scarily familiar to what we are seeing now.

Dean Smith only had a 40.74% win rate with us, Mark Warburton 51.28% and Uwe Rossler 43.08%, So we actually took a step backwards with employing him, granted he got us playing a very high pressing fast game that was a joy to watch but on the other hand our defending was terrible and we leaked a lot of silly goals, I have watched Villa a few times this season and can see a mirror image of how we played.

His main fault with us was his substitution policy, he either left it too late, changed the wrong players and without changing tactics, he left us for you on the back of a no win in 5 games, we continued this vein with our new Head Coach with only 2 wins in ten, However, he has now changed our defensive formation and steadied the ship and and we are unbeaten in 6 and only conceded 3 goals, and comprehensively beat Stoke on Saturday with a fantastic display.

His record at Walsall was the same, good attacking football but leaking goals, so a pattern seems to be forming with you as well, it seems he is unable to cure this inherent problem, did your board not take this into consideration and not gone for someone experienced with a Big club history and culture like Villa have.

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #2437 on: January 14, 2019, 07:26:29 PM »
Hypocrite?

No, I’d say that judgment shows somebody that knows his football.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #2438 on: January 14, 2019, 08:16:02 PM »
Missing my point, I don't want Smith sacked, but the whole "not that type of club" when MON was probably the last full time manager to reach the 30 game mark without a large number of the support either wanting them gone or at least seriously questioning them is saft.

Granted I haven't gone back and checked previous threads, but I feel like Lambert was afforded a tremendous amount of time before we wanted him out. Like I say, I could be talking out my arse - it's a particular talent of mine.

Some wanted him gone after 15-0 week which was 20 league games, even more after Bradford, and Millwall a few weeks later.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2439 on: January 14, 2019, 08:34:56 PM »
Missing my point, I don't want Smith sacked, but the whole "not that type of club" when MON was probably the last full time manager to reach the 30 game mark without a large number of the support either wanting them gone or at least seriously questioning them is saft. We are that type of club, and I include myself in that as I wanted a fair few of them gone pretty sharpish and i'm not going to change how we've been as a fan base just because I'm in favour of Smith.

And some gave Bruce that long, go look at the Bruce out thread that was started after 4 months to see plenty also wanted him gone after less than half a season, including me.

I'll hold my hand up to that but I'm going to caveat it slightly. If we have a manager who is a promotion expert and has been given the job on the back of that title then, for me, he delivers promotion or he should be sacked. If we have a manager who is a coach that improves players and gets teams playing exciting attacking football then I'm willing to give him more time to see if he can do that because even if the results aren't quite there I have hope that the work on the training ground i laying the groundwork for better things, even if that ultimately comes from another manager. Some people may think I'm a hypocrite to be so vocal against one manager and then give the next much more slack but I'm just judging them on their own criteria, if your only focus is results and how they're achieved makes no difference then you're always in danger if you can't deliver them consistently that was always my biggest issue with Bruce.

RDM I just didn't care, I didn't particularly want him to stay but I had concerns that the replacement would just be someone from the merry-go-round and we'd be straight back to making the sort of mistakes that caused the relegation in the first place. I'd personally have given him another 7-8 games with his full squad before I moved him on but it was fairly obvious that Wyness wanted his man in.

You're right,  hypocrite is spot on.

The worst thing is the original version of that line was "I'm sure stuart will be along in a minute to call me a hypocrite for being ..." I changed it because I didn't want to single you out but fucking hell if you aren't predictable.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #2440 on: January 14, 2019, 08:42:00 PM »
It is hypocritical, we're football fans so we're pretty much all hypocrites at times. Same as we're biased and at times irrational on things to do with Villa and other clubs. We're the same as fans of every club in every league in every country.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2441 on: January 14, 2019, 09:07:54 PM »
It is hypocritical, we're football fans so we're pretty much all hypocrites at times. Same as we're biased and at times irrational on things to do with Villa and other clubs. We're the same as fans of every club in every league in every country.

Biased and irrational is the fuel of almost all football conversations. I'll freely admit that I'm biased against Bruce, but it's because I have lots of Sunderland connections and I don't know a single one who has anything good to say about the bloke, literally everything they complained about happened to us within his first year. I'm not sure thinking he was a shit manager and therefore having little patience with him makes me a hypocrite though.

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2442 on: January 14, 2019, 09:23:56 PM »
Just read very worrying comment from a Brentford Fan.  Some of it scarily familiar to what we are seeing now.

Dean Smith only had a 40.74% win rate with us, Mark Warburton 51.28% and Uwe Rossler 43.08%, So we actually took a step backwards with employing him, granted he got us playing a very high pressing fast game that was a joy to watch but on the other hand our defending was terrible and we leaked a lot of silly goals, I have watched Villa a few times this season and can see a mirror image of how we played.

His main fault with us was his substitution policy, he either left it too late, changed the wrong players and without changing tactics, he left us for you on the back of a no win in 5 games, we continued this vein with our new Head Coach with only 2 wins in ten, However, he has now changed our defensive formation and steadied the ship and and we are unbeaten in 6 and only conceded 3 goals, and comprehensively beat Stoke on Saturday with a fantastic display.

His record at Walsall was the same, good attacking football but leaking goals, so a pattern seems to be forming with you as well, it seems he is unable to cure this inherent problem, did your board not take this into consideration and not gone for someone experienced with a Big club history and culture like Villa have.
The last line "big club history and culture like villa have" is what makes the rest of the statement a bit pointless though. We aren't bloody Brentford or Walsall. We are Aston Villa where the possibilities for success are infinitely more achievable if they get it right. Deanos upgraded from a Ford Fiesta to a Bentley. Let's just give him time to see how he handles it.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 09:28:33 PM by The Edge »

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #2443 on: January 14, 2019, 09:24:55 PM »
I think 'skillz already has post of the year in the bag. Not even Swiss Tony could have said it as well as that.

Offline stuart445

« Reply #2444 on: January 14, 2019, 10:05:32 PM »

The last line "big club history and culture like villa have" is what makes the rest of the statement a bit pointless though. We aren't bloody Brentford or Walsall. We are Aston Villa where the possibilities for success are infinitely more achievable if they get it right. Deanos upgraded from a Ford Fiesta to a Bentley. Let's just give him time to see how he handles it.

But yet the Bentley is behaving just like a Ford Fiesta

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal