collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by pablo_picasso
[Today at 08:07:11 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Edge
[Today at 07:51:24 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:47:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by OCD
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nev
[Today at 07:38:29 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Ian.
[Today at 07:37:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 07:36:44 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1522419 times)

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #2160 on: January 12, 2019, 05:07:44 PM »
Genuine question, but has anybody actually asked Smith why performances have tailed off so much?

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #2161 on: January 12, 2019, 05:13:33 PM »
The thing is, and this is beyond Dean’s control but he’s got to deal with it, we’ve been diabolical by and large for a decade. Therefore the patience of the fan base is justifiably short. Villa fans are tired and without signs of progress faith will be lost quickly.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2162 on: January 12, 2019, 05:13:59 PM »
Smith was fucking clueless today. Leaves Taylor on after he’s given an absolutely dreadful perfirmance, then when we’re chasing the game, brings on Whelan and Hause. That is fucking dreadful management quite frankly. We didn’t get rid of Bruce snd his shit tactics to accept rubbish like that.

Wigan absolutely played us off the pitch.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #2163 on: January 12, 2019, 05:14:10 PM »
At Walsall and Brentford there were seasons when things were ticking along nicely and then out of nowhere a 10 match winless run would occur.

Looks like same is happening here. From a very promising run up to middle of December and in four short weeks we now look like we can't pass a ball or even score a goal.

Never mind Steve Bruce this is Lambert-esque in his first season here.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #2164 on: January 12, 2019, 05:15:48 PM »
Smith was fucking clueless today. Leaves Taylor on after he’s given an absolutely dreadful perfirmance, then when we’re chasing the game, brings on Whelan and Hause. That is fucking dreadful management quite frankly. We didn’t get rid of Bruce snd his shit tactics to accept rubbish like that.

Wigan absolutely played us off the pitch.

Exactly, and yes he needs time but those fundamental flaws are unforgivable irrespective of the time he’s been in charge.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #2165 on: January 12, 2019, 05:20:36 PM »
I don't know when or where this is going to come from, but I feel like he needs an easy win where everything goes right. That was a nightmare run of fixtures up to the New Year, but now we're at 'easy' games and it's not happening, there's no time for him to make these kinds of mistakes - fans just don't have the patience. They want to see the good team in the winnable fixtures and that's the problem: that team has disappeared and there are no hints that it will ever be seen again.

Offline walsall villain

« Reply #2166 on: January 12, 2019, 05:20:51 PM »
At Walsall and Brentford there were seasons when things were ticking along nicely and then out of nowhere a 10 match winless run would occur.

Looks like same is happening here. From a very promising run up to middle of December and in four short weeks we now look like we can't pass a ball or even score a goal.

Isn’t it looking similar to Bruce’s first season? I remember we were all over the place when all the January signings were introduced. I must admit I’m shocked at our current horrors, didn’t see it coming.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #2167 on: January 12, 2019, 05:20:55 PM »
His game management has been really poor in recent weeks.

Was too slow to react to Leeds dominanting at even 2-0 down and look what happens.

Can't understand why today at 1-0 down he leaves two strikers on the bench. The trio change made us even worse.

Dean Smith is struggling atm and still has a lot to learn at this level. He will now feel pressure he hasn't felt at his previous clubs with this winless run.

Worry for me he didn't get a reaction from last week's poor display. That's never a good sign to me with regards the long term.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #2168 on: January 12, 2019, 05:22:49 PM »

Isn’t it looking similar to Bruce’s first season? I remember we were all over the place when all the January signings were introduced. I must admit I’m shocked at our current horrors, didn’t see it coming.

Yes could be right.

When SB came in we picked up results and were looking o.k until middle of December and then completely fell off the pace.

Reality is third season down here and what we've invested things should be so much better regardless of losing a player or two from injury.

Offline walsall villain

« Reply #2169 on: January 12, 2019, 05:25:01 PM »

Yes could be right.

When SB came in we picked up results and were looking o.k until middle of December and then completely fell off the pace.

Reality is third season down here and what we've invested things should be so much better regardless of losing a player or two from injury.
I feared a long stay after relegation and it’s going to be.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #2170 on: January 12, 2019, 05:25:09 PM »
His points per game ratio now the same as Thereorthereabouts

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #2171 on: January 12, 2019, 05:26:59 PM »
Difference was, there was a genuine optimism in that January when we brought all of those players, at least until we got tonked by Brentford in the first fixture afterwards. I don't see where that optimism is going to come from this time around, short of signing Felipe Coutinho.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #2172 on: January 12, 2019, 05:28:53 PM »
Difference was, there was a genuine optimism in that January when we brought all of those players, at least until we got tonked by Brentford in the first fixture afterwards. I don't see where that optimism is going to come from this time around, short of signing Felipe Coutinho.

Still somehow only 5 points off play offs (unless Hull have now gone into the top 6 with their incredible run). Think the gap was more in SB season.

Obviously that gap is only going to increase unless we shake off the malaise in next few weeks.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #2173 on: January 12, 2019, 05:35:06 PM »
To be honest, I'm not sure I want to get into the play-offs because of the mess we're in. But the reason we need to keep going for it, for me, is it's symbolic that we're at least trying to be a decent side again. The minute we're not in the mix for it is the minute the season's over and we lose a little more relevance to potential incomings every season we waste.

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #2174 on: January 12, 2019, 05:35:26 PM »
You do wonder sometimes do these players look at Smith and think what the F have you ever done. Are they thinking who the F are Brentford and Walsall. This just transfers into a lack of respect and poor attitude particularly when things go wrong. Footballers aren’t known for their lack of ego’s

Remember this is the same group of players who didn’t exactly help themselves at the tail end of the Bruce reign so they have form for not giving two flying F’s.

Smith is under pressure now and does he have the respect of the players or board to pull it around? This was my concern from the start that he didn’t have any form of track record. Nice guy and all that and I just don’t hope the fans don’t turn.

He needs to make some bold decisions now. Whether that’s in personnel or tactics but currently it isnt working.

I just hope he is give until at least the end of this season to start to turn it around and introduce his own playing style. We also need 2 or 3 reinforcements before the end of Jan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal