collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Kits 24/25 by Des Little
[Today at 10:36:51 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Des Little
[Today at 10:33:52 PM]

Season Tickets by Aldridge Villa
[Today at 10:31:44 PM]

Ross Barkley: Coming back? by Des Little
[Today at 10:29:00 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by DB
[Today at 10:25:45 PM]

Past Managers, Love or Hate? by Monty
[Today at 09:27:43 PM]

Tennis 2024 by Monty
[Today at 09:25:59 PM]

Cubs/Clarets membership by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 08:43:53 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Kits 24/25 by Des Little
[Today at 10:36:51 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Des Little
[Today at 10:33:52 PM]

Re: Season Tickets by Aldridge Villa
[Today at 10:31:44 PM]

Re: Ross Barkley: Coming back? by Des Little
[Today at 10:29:00 PM]

Re: Season Tickets by dalians umbrella
[Today at 10:26:07 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by DB
[Today at 10:25:45 PM]

Re: Ross Barkley: Coming back? by ChicagoLion
[Today at 10:24:28 PM]

Re: Season Tickets by dalians umbrella
[Today at 10:23:42 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1563748 times)

Online KRS

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #13920 on: August 14, 2021, 06:49:56 PM »
The whole rhetoric about replacing one player with three was always going to fall flat on its face…and it’s happened sooner rather than later. Yes we have signed 3 players that may or may not have all his attributes combined, but all it can realistically do at best is upgrade players that would have been on the pitch when he was out of the team. The timing clearly hasn’t helped with pre-season as we’re clearly undercooked and it’s far too early to be writing anyone off yet as the “replacements” need to bed in and we need to adjust our style of play to suit them accordingly.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #13921 on: August 14, 2021, 07:08:42 PM »
The whole rhetoric about replacing one player with three was always going to fall flat on its face…and it’s happened sooner rather than later. Yes we have signed 3 players that may or may not have all his attributes combined, but all it can realistically do at best is upgrade players that would have been on the pitch when he was out of the team. The timing clearly hasn’t helped with pre-season as we’re clearly undercooked and it’s far too early to be writing anyone off yet as the “replacements” need to bed in and we need to adjust our style of play to suit them accordingly.
the first thing should have been solving the problem in central midfield.
No point in buying new furniture if the roof is still leaking.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #13922 on: August 14, 2021, 07:19:08 PM »
Irrespective of next week's result Smith needs to make sure he puts out a full-strength side against Barrow.  Having had a fragmented pre-season these players need game time.  I accept there could be injuries but the same applies to pre-season friendlies as we have witnessed by the unavailability of Ollie Watkins today.  I don't think it would have made any difference as the problem lies with central mid-field and  has existed since our return to the Premier League and the manager has deemed fit to ignore it.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #13923 on: August 14, 2021, 07:26:28 PM »
Today just looked a bit half arsed.

As a club, we have learned the hard way that every single point matters. We have been a bit wasteful of points during Smith's tenure- losing too many games in my opinion. A game against a promoted side is a big opportunity to get points on the board and we just looked like we were still pre-season. It looked like an experimental line-up and we didn't turn up for the first half.

We need to put it right in the next game.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #13924 on: August 14, 2021, 08:33:25 PM »
Oh and playing Ash as a winger was a fucking dreadful decision.

Maybe Deano has been watching our season review videos circa 2007-2010.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #13925 on: August 14, 2021, 08:42:43 PM »
the next few months will define Dean. He's been given riches beyond his wildest dreams andthere needs to be a return.

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #13926 on: August 14, 2021, 08:44:41 PM »
AEG and 36 year old Ashley Young hardly strike fear into the opposition.

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #13927 on: August 14, 2021, 09:04:42 PM »
AEG and 36 year old Ashley Young hardly strike fear into the opposition.

Young played well at left back, which is where he should be playing if at all. For me he should start against Newcastle as Targett needs to know he gets dropped if he plays like that.

Bailey and Traore where far better when they came on, and I can only conclude they were not considered fit enough to start - hence AEG and Young playing.

I know hindsight is easy, but I'd have played McGinn where Buendia started, and put Bailey and Buendia on the wing with Traore and AEG on the bench if needed. Then put Ramsey next to Nakamba.

Online SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #13928 on: August 14, 2021, 09:29:46 PM »
We can argue all we like but the owners simply won't be waiting years for him to come up with some coherent formation and strategy in the post G***lish era.

I'm sure they've studied our recent past and saw how wrong it quickly went in 2015 (and it obviously wasn't great in the seasons before that).

They and Purslow will simply look at it and say....we've given you millions and you now have two top class strikers in the squad, two reasonably proven creative players to replace you know who and also the guys you signed last summer like Traore. And an 18m midfielder signed in January aswell.

Make it work by by November is the simple brief I think once everyone is fully fit and settled.

They'll be looking at top level managers who have endless attacking players coming out of their ears yet produced structually sound teams.

O.k maybe unfair comparing DS to likes of Guardiola and Tuchel but give say Brendan Rodgers our squad and a pre season and I'm sure within a few months we'd be playing pretty well. Up to Dean to step up and do that rather than falling back down the table as we will do playing regularly like today.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 09:31:20 PM by SoccerHQ »

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #13929 on: August 14, 2021, 09:35:01 PM »
It won’t take an ‘experienced European coach’ to see how piss weak we are in the middle of the park, that’s for sure.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #13930 on: August 14, 2021, 09:35:03 PM »
Couldn't agree more. Firmly believe Potter would be the bet if he doesn't get it together soon.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #13931 on: August 14, 2021, 09:43:35 PM »
I think it's too early to have the debate but I'd like NWSE to consider Antonio Conte if the time came for them to change.

Offline Cliftonville Villlain

« Reply #13932 on: August 14, 2021, 09:49:41 PM »
If we genuinely have aspirations we need to be ruthless to get there so that no-one is in any doubt what is expected. We've had false dawns before but this one needs to count. We can't complain about the owners and I've every confidence in Dean despite today and more or less the second half of last season. I want him to do well but now it's the business end of things. It's endgame for him. And by November if its not working, Dean will probably be the first, as a Villa fan, to see it for what it is.

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #13933 on: August 14, 2021, 10:09:03 PM »
I'd be more critical of Smith than most but first game of the season often throws up strange results and performances. Bit of patience required I think (note, I didn't see the game...).

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #13934 on: August 14, 2021, 10:16:24 PM »
I'd be more critical of Smith than most but first game of the season often throws up strange results and performances. Bit of patience required I think (note, I didn't see the game...).
I'm less critical of Smith than most, but agree. It's one game, freak results happen. If the form continues through September then fair enough, there will be questions to answer. But right now, it's one game against a newly promoted side, playing in front of a crowd for the first time in ages, after a disrupted preseason. I'd not judge too quickly.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal