collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 02:26:14 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by olaftab
[Today at 02:26:03 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Risso
[Today at 02:25:56 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Matt C
[Today at 02:25:48 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Toronto Villa
[Today at 02:25:45 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Toronto Villa
[Today at 02:25:22 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 02:25:15 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 02:24:39 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1547156 times)

Online jwarry

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #12510 on: April 27, 2021, 06:38:46 PM »
How did they re-invent bloody Spurs, of all clubs, as a big club?

It is incredible, and I know it's a well trodden path, but being in London is a massive advantage when it comes to getting rich people and/or tourists to part with silly money to watch a game of football.

So how did a shite hole like Manchester get popular?

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #12511 on: April 27, 2021, 06:47:45 PM »

It is incredible, and I know it's a well trodden path, but being in London is a massive advantage when it comes to getting rich people and/or tourists to part with silly money to watch a game of football.

When Man United started winning everything?

The question was how an absolute non-entity like Spurs can get away charging big club prices. The answer, to a huge extent, is because they're in London. They wouldn't be charging that if they were in any other city in the country, that's for certain.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #12512 on: April 27, 2021, 06:59:21 PM »

Munich.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #12513 on: April 27, 2021, 07:07:44 PM »
No need.

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #12514 on: April 27, 2021, 07:18:53 PM »
Absolutely, no need for that.

When I moved down here to sunny Devon in ‘83, I couldn’t believe the amount of Man Utd supporters here. It was probably every child in my class bar one or two. I think it all stemmed from their parents supporting them in the George Best years and not following their own local teams like Exeter or Torquay.

Offline gpbarr

• GM : 31.03.2017
« Reply #12515 on: April 27, 2021, 07:48:50 PM »
That’s disgusting. Completely out of order

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #12516 on: April 27, 2021, 08:02:04 PM »

Munich.
VAR are reviewing that one.

Online CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #12517 on: April 27, 2021, 08:05:00 PM »
That’s disgusting. Completely out of order

I’ll second that.

Online VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #12518 on: April 27, 2021, 08:06:42 PM »
i wasn’t born , but the impression i have from people who were , that after this horrific disaster , that a number of people were drawn to the club , especially with them rebuilding and going on to win the European Cup .  it is an iconic story

Offline Sexual Ealing

« Reply #12519 on: April 27, 2021, 08:35:43 PM »
i wasn’t born , but the impression i have from people who were , that after this horrific disaster , that a number of people were drawn to the club , especially with them rebuilding and going on to win the European Cup .  it is an iconic story

That's the way to express that thought.

Online Jon Crofts

« Reply #12520 on: April 27, 2021, 08:40:17 PM »

Munich.

Keep that shit up and you can have some time off.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #12521 on: April 27, 2021, 09:02:36 PM »

Munich.

Keep that shit up and you can have some time off.
I wasn’t trying to be offensive but I understood that a surge in support happened after that terrible event.
If I am wrong, sorry.

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #12522 on: April 27, 2021, 09:07:58 PM »

That's the way to express that thought.

Exactly, they got quite rightly huge amounts of sympathy from the nation and I think a lot of it stuck and then they built on it with the Best Law Charlton era just as TV started to have an influence which really cemented the nationwide support. To win the European Cup 10 years after was some sort of justice for them just like our story just afterwards. We even managed to copy getting relegated 5 years after winning it. Now if we could just copy their trophy count things would be looking up.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #12523 on: April 27, 2021, 09:17:09 PM »

That was pretty well the way my Dad explained it. I'm old enough to remember their 1968 European Cup win, this was really the culmination of Busby rebuidling from the ashes of Munich and was at a time when we all supported other home clubs exploits in European competition. This is the iconic story that made the club  Manchester United known worldwide.

What followed from the 1990s onwards was an extremely slick marketing exercise which established the brand Manchester United worldwide.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #12524 on: April 27, 2021, 09:21:15 PM »

That was pretty well the way my Dad explained it. I'm old enough to remember their 1968 European Cup win, this was really the culmination of Busby rebuidling from the ashes of Munich and was at a time when we all supported other home clubs exploits in European competition. This is the iconic story that made the club  Manchester United known worldwide.

What followed from the 1990s onwards was an extremely slick marketing exercise which established the brand Manchester United worldwide.
Exactly.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal