collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Season Tickets by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 02:59:01 AM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Londonvilla
[Today at 12:21:04 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by VillaTim
[June 03, 2024, 11:59:58 PM]

Cubs/Clarets membership by Pat McMahon
[June 03, 2024, 11:59:28 PM]

Ross Barkley: Coming back? by eamonn
[June 03, 2024, 11:54:46 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by AV84
[June 03, 2024, 11:33:53 PM]

Kits 24/25 by j66acd
[June 03, 2024, 10:41:45 PM]

Past Managers, Love or Hate? by Monty
[June 03, 2024, 09:27:43 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Season Tickets by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 02:59:01 AM]

Re: Season Tickets by Dogtanian
[Today at 02:53:28 AM]

Re: Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Londonvilla
[Today at 12:21:04 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by VillaTim
[June 03, 2024, 11:59:58 PM]

Re: Cubs/Clarets membership by Pat McMahon
[June 03, 2024, 11:59:28 PM]

Re: Ross Barkley: Coming back? by eamonn
[June 03, 2024, 11:54:46 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by AV84
[June 03, 2024, 11:33:53 PM]

Re: Ross Barkley: Coming back? by Percy McCarthy
[June 03, 2024, 11:26:49 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1563816 times)

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #11460 on: March 13, 2021, 09:35:45 AM »
Bruce was probably a Ryan Frederick's red car away from getting us up. Thank goodness it worked out like it did.

Offline JuanMartinez

« Reply #11461 on: March 13, 2021, 09:36:30 AM »
* Hired Late 2018

* Promoted only  6 months later 2019 after club record breaking 10 winning games

* 2020 - premier league status maintained at first attempt / cup final runners up to Man City

* 2021- probable 8th - 10th PL finish

Stats don’t lie amigos.

Offline JuanMartinez

« Reply #11462 on: March 13, 2021, 09:41:00 AM »
What team, anywhere bar perhaps Man City  wouldn't rely on Grealish?

Barca would rely on Grealish. Thank goodness they're beyond skint.

Saying we're reliant on the best player in the league isn't the put down or sage analysis some seem to think it is.

I would also add, as good as Man City are, take KDB out of that team for a considerable period or completely and see how they get on?

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #11463 on: March 13, 2021, 09:41:54 AM »
The other thing to say about perspective is that it’s changed

We were struggling at the bottom of the premiership then we went down and we wanted to get back and the perspective was if we can just get back to the premiership we can start to build slowly again

That perspective changed with the new owners
It’s a completely different scenario
Some of you guys think it’s still the same but it’s not a change that day

We are now the second richest premiership club
We are the biggest club in the Midlands
We still have one of the greatest players in the world in our team
Our perspective has changed

We need to start seeing ourselves as competing for a top six place
Set the bar higher not lower

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #11464 on: March 13, 2021, 09:42:09 AM »
Man City are a freak. They've got a quarter billion of full backs. De Bruyne is off the pace, but they're playing a different sport by different rules to everybody else.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #11465 on: March 13, 2021, 09:43:19 AM »
When things are going well praise is deserved. When performances are routinely poor then criticism is deserved. No one has said he hasn't done a good job. He's done a great job but it still doesn't change the fact we've looked pretty poor for the past 2 months and with it comes criticism for mistakes and suggestions on how to improve.

The same formation week in week out with wingers and a center mid shuffled about for instance isn't good enough. It isn't the first time we've struggled to arrest a slide, he needs to be more proactive.

The first occasion we had Grealish come back from an injury and our results sky rocketed.
The second occasion we had a covid break where we could re-assess and make changes (which should have been made in season anyway)
This is the third occasion we've had a poor run, will Grealish lift us again? Possibly. But Smith needs to be more pro-active in arresting the slides as we go.

Offline JuanMartinez

« Reply #11466 on: March 13, 2021, 09:48:35 AM »
A poor run that without JG we have lost TWO matches, both by the odd goal and one of them a top 4 side.

Granted the performances have not been great but some perspective as opposed to hysteria would go down a treat.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #11467 on: March 13, 2021, 09:51:48 AM »
Well I appreciate everyone has their own views and opinions

But I’ve vented now so I’m gonna leave it there for now but I’m sure not forever

Have a good weekend everyone and UTV

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #11468 on: March 13, 2021, 09:56:51 AM »
A poor run that without JG we have lost TWO matches, both by the odd goal and one of them a top 4 side.

Granted the performances have not been great but some perspective as opposed to hysteria would go down a treat.

Boring, perspective has been offered. Please don't go down the Steve Bruce route of claiming hysterics when criticisms are being made.

Offline mrfuse

• GM : 28.02.2023
« Reply #11469 on: March 13, 2021, 10:01:45 AM »
We are still very much a team in the making and poor runs of form are quite often a sign of this. I have no doubts that the team will continue to move forward with a couple of positive purchases in the summer and we will steadily build over the next few years. Whilst it’s frustrating seeing performances like this, we are safely in mid-table and are likely to be up and down.  I am sure that Dean Smith sees exactly what we see and will improve talent in the squad going forward.

Sorry I don’t agree with any of that
We are not a team in the making we are a team that relies on Grealish

Without him we are a bottom half side
Maybe not bottom three but bottom six probably

Without Grealish we are no better than Newcastle

Some of you guys that think we are progressing in the right direction and Smith has it all under control are going to get a very big surprise if Grealish leaves
And let’s face it why should the best in England stay and play with Players who aren’t good enough to lace his boots

we are not progressing into a very good side we can look a very good side because we have one of the best players in the world
Yes we will get wins without him the same way as Sheffield United Newcastle and all the other teams in the bottom half get a few wins

But we are very ordinary bang average slow no creativity with literally zero ideas from management side
Yes I might get accused of overreacting and my post being embarrassing but what’s more embarrassing is that shower of shit that I saw last night trying to play football
Absolute garbage on and off the pitch

Sorry for the embarrassing post Dave but I don’t give a shit

You say without Grealish were no better than Newcastle?

Name one player in their squad that you would swap with one of ours?
Look at the players that are coming through the youth system that we've invested in.

Any team misses their best player and Grealish is exceptional but we hold all the cards. We get a massive transfer fee and Grealish is going isint going to Sulk and strike if we hold out until we do.

We look like we have decent owners so if things don't quite work out with Dean then were in a position to attract pretty much attract who we want.

Were 9th in the table and I would say yep about right and I have no reason to think we cant better that next season.

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #11470 on: March 13, 2021, 10:03:36 AM »
As someone posted, we have a solid defence, it's the midfield that is the issue. That area need a serious uplift next season, Jack is obviously the outstanding player but he needs players at least to compliment him. Also l, the management needs sort out the mf, they had, again like Sheffield Utd and Wolves, no idea going forwards.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #11471 on: March 13, 2021, 10:17:42 AM »
We have a solid backbone with the back five, Grealish, Watkins and a couple of others added to that.  We need upgrades on others, Rome wasn't built in a day and neither will Villa.  Any team other than Man City would be reliant on what Grealish gives us, therefore we have to build a team around him and we started to show signs of that earlier in the season before we got found out.  We have to go through the cycles to move forward.  We have Lange scouring the world for talent that will fit alongside Grealish. Another couple of really good signings this summer will do us the world of good.  We have moved forward under Dean Smith, that is absolutely irrefutable. 

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #11472 on: March 13, 2021, 10:32:02 AM »
As someone posted, we have a solid defence, it's the midfield that is the issue. That area need a serious uplift next season, Jack is obviously the outstanding player but he needs players at least to compliment him. Also l, the management needs sort out the mf, they had, again like Sheffield Utd and Wolves, no idea going forwards.

Think Luiz has had a dip in form recently, but was good up until then.  I still think McGinn would be more effective and that we would be better version of a Nakamba type of player on there.  I look at Leicester and West Ham and both of them have a solid midfield pairing and then a more advanced player in a more advanced role. 

Offline PhilVill

« Reply #11473 on: March 13, 2021, 10:51:41 AM »
I think Smith knows he needs more creativity in midfield which is why Barkley was brought in. Sadly Barkley most certainly hasnt worked out but was worth a punt. I have no doubt that Villa will spend big on at least two midfielders at the end of the season and that Wesley will be given a gruelling pre seaaon too to add another quality striker to the mix. If we spend well again I think Dean should then be given realistic targets by the CEO in terms of further progress and rightly be put under pressire to deliver. I think we'll break the 50 point barrier this season and lets face it, we would all have been delighted with this six months ago. At the moment all thats happening is the players we thought werent really good enough to push on are proving they arent really good enough.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #11474 on: March 13, 2021, 10:54:39 AM »
He won't get us up. We got up but that was because of Grealish.

He won't keep us up. We stayed up but that was because of Grealish.

We'll struggle again. We haven't struggled but that's because of Grealish.

It's getting a bit monotonous now. We've had 2 1/2 years of almost unbroken progress yet every time we look poor in a couple of games it's sack the manager. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal