collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1542528 times)

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #10890 on: December 28, 2020, 01:34:02 PM »
I just love the fact that we are again being looked upon by the opposition in a serious light and not just some team they could rest certain players and still think they could guarantee the three points.

That is down mainly to Dean and his coaching staff.

I think everyone will fear us, and given our attacking intent and quality, don't know exactly how to handle us.

We've still got Barkley to return and Wesley too.

God what a feeling! For 10 years it's felt generally a bit shit with a lack of hope, but the current set-up from top to bottom feels just right.

I've always been proud to support the Villa, and as someone who doesn't live in Birmingham (do any of us?! 😂) it's meant being almost an irrelevance. Now though, people actively start talking to me about us. They have an interest in how it's going.

Offline rooboy316

• GM : 27.09.2024
« Reply #10891 on: December 28, 2020, 01:46:39 PM »
Let's not get carried away. Let's just enjoy it for what it is.

He's currently showing himself to have done a very good job. No need to pile on the expectations or to point the finger of mistrust at this or that section of the media, at ourselves, or anyone for that matter. Just sit back and enjoy what is currently a very interesting time for us.

We are going to continue to be volatile - we're not going to start beating all and sundry, we're going to lose matches we never expect to, and we're going to win others equally unexpectedly. The most important thing by far, though, is that there's currently a degree of excitement and hope that hasn't been there for a fair while and the direction of travel, despite the peaks and troughs, is in the right direction.

What matters most right now is what we're seeing thus far, and it's much, much better than we have seen for a long time. Let's just enjoy it without piling on added pressure or letting unnecessary eexpectations grow.

Nah, in the middle of winter with a pandemic stalking the land I want to get carried away. I want optimism and thrills not caution and patience. I want to shake off the doubt that has become my normal pre-match feeling before every game and replace it with the belief that we are now the team others have to worry about and I want all of that to happen with Villa fans as manager and captain. In short I want romance and excitement not caution and pragmatism and for my kids to experience the same feeling I had in the 70s and early 80s.

I agree with both of you, and don’t know how to reconcile the two. This must be how Schrodinger’s cat felt.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #10892 on: December 28, 2020, 03:04:02 PM »
Let's not get carried away. Let's just enjoy it for what it is.

He's currently showing himself to have done a very good job. No need to pile on the expectations or to point the finger of mistrust at this or that section of the media, at ourselves, or anyone for that matter. Just sit back and enjoy what is currently a very interesting time for us.

We are going to continue to be volatile - we're not going to start beating all and sundry, we're going to lose matches we never expect to, and we're going to win others equally unexpectedly. The most important thing by far, though, is that there's currently a degree of excitement and hope that hasn't been there for a fair while and the direction of travel, despite the peaks and troughs, is in the right direction.

What matters most right now is what we're seeing thus far, and it's much, much better than we have seen for a long time. Let's just enjoy it without piling on added pressure or letting unnecessary eexpectations grow.

Nah, in the middle of winter with a pandemic stalking the land I want to get carried away. I want optimism and thrills not caution and patience. I want to shake off the doubt that has become my normal pre-match feeling before every game and replace it with the belief that we are now the team others have to worry about and I want all of that to happen with Villa fans as manager and captain. In short I want romance and excitement not caution and pragmatism and for my kids to experience the same feeling I had in the 70s and early 80s.

I agree with both of you, and don’t know how to reconcile the two. This must be how Schrodinger’s cat felt.

And didn't feel.

Offline Astnor

« Reply #10893 on: December 28, 2020, 03:33:27 PM »
I just love the fact that we are again being looked upon by the opposition in a serious light and not just some team they could rest certain players and still think they could guarantee the three points.

Must be an x factor? that the likes of the head off the pitch and his assistent and the chef on the pitch all are from Birmingham being Villa fans from the beginning themselves. Not being from Birmingham or England myself I cant imagine xactly how that feels but for you from Birmingham or the area that must be something special - havent happened before I guess. Lets hope good times with mngr Smith his staff and cpt Grealish and histeammates continues and we win something with them sooner or later, that would be special. Isnt easy to get rid of the doubt about Villa given the last ten years, but looks good now - even if we get beaten tonight or more this winter :). Slightly tangeled? to this is something I never really have understood - not knowing that much about England footie culture myself,; how is it that Villa doesnt seems rather not very popular / interesting or not (good) covered by the the natonal media ish? Compared to the likes of the clubs from Manchester , Liverpool , London , Leeds and a lot of other places you could say. One theory I have is that Villa where "the one to beat" from the beginning as they where the best team ca 1870 - 1920? Might be a bit far fetched that theory :). Hoping for a good result tonight.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #10894 on: December 28, 2020, 03:34:45 PM »
Anyone rather we stayed down in the championship now?

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #10895 on: December 28, 2020, 03:54:22 PM »
Is that a trick question?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #10896 on: December 28, 2020, 03:56:01 PM »

What a strange question. Of course not. Why would you think anyone would?

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #10897 on: December 28, 2020, 04:09:02 PM »
As  Chris Smith said.
Let's get carried away. Why not? We had to put up with lot of misery this year generally and with our football hopes over the last 10 years. So whilst it good ENJOY.
It's the first time since probably John Gregory where I've thought we could genuinely win the league. It'd take a few things to go our way, but at the moment it seems like there's nobody we can't not just beat, but hand their arses to them on a plate. I'm going to enjoy every minute of that until it's mathematically not possible, or it's actually happened.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #10898 on: December 28, 2020, 04:13:22 PM »

What a strange question. Of course not. Why would you think anyone would?

Nobody would now but last season some said they would rather be there than struggling away in the PL. I hope we never ever see that division again.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #10899 on: December 28, 2020, 04:15:38 PM »
Who? I don't remember that at all. People might have missed having more winnable games (than we had last season) and more fun away games (when attending matches was a thing), but I don't recall a single poster who wanted us to lose the playoff final in 2019 or get relegated last season.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #10900 on: December 28, 2020, 04:17:29 PM »
As  Chris Smith said.
Let's get carried away. Why not? We had to put up with lot of misery this year generally and with our football hopes over the last 10 years. So whilst it good ENJOY.
It's the first time since probably John Gregory where I've thought we could genuinely win the league. It'd take a few things to go our way, but at the moment it seems like there's nobody we can't not just beat, but hand their arses to them on a plate. I'm going to enjoy every minute of that until it's mathematically not possible, or it's actually happened.

I’m not there yet
But if we win at Chelsea today I will genuinely think we could have a crack at top 4

Offline Gerrin

« Reply #10901 on: December 28, 2020, 04:20:08 PM »

Must be an x factor? that the likes of the head off the pitch and his assistent and the chef on the pitch all are from Birmingham being Villa fans from the beginning themselves. Not being from Birmingham or England myself I cant imagine xactly how that feels but for you from Birmingham or the area that must be something special - havent happened before I guess. Lets hope good times with mngr Smith his staff and cpt Grealish and histeammates continues and we win something with them sooner or later, that would be special. Isnt easy to get rid of the doubt about Villa given the last ten years, but looks good now - even if we get beaten tonight or more this winter :). Slightly tangeled? to this is something I never really have understood - not knowing that much about England footie culture myself,; how is it that Villa doesnt seems rather not very popular / interesting or not (good) covered by the the natonal media ish? Compared to the likes of the clubs from Manchester , Liverpool , London , Leeds and a lot of other places you could say. One theory I have is that Villa where "the one to beat" from the beginning as they where the best team ca 1870 - 1920? Might be a bit far fetched that theory :). Hoping for a good result tonight.

I think it definitely makes a difference having locals, or at least people that really know the club in charge. Big Ron, Brian Little, I'd also include John Gregory, all had good spells at Villa. Dean Smith has hit the jackpot in that he has one of our best ever players, and he's a local lad. No way Jack would still be at Villa now if he wasn't  from Birmingham.

Most managers who have come in recently, with no previous affiliation with the area, just seem to end up winding the fans up with their stupid comments. I think Sherwood was maybe the only one that didn't, he still speaks highly of Villa in the media too.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #10902 on: December 28, 2020, 05:17:01 PM »
Who? I don't remember that at all. People might have missed having more winnable games (than we had last season) and more fun away games (when attending matches was a thing), but I don't recall a single poster who wanted us to lose the playoff final in 2019 or get relegated last season.
Exactly. It was a bizzare question to ask. Every Villa fan on planet earth will be really enjoying the ride this season. Long may it continue 

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #10903 on: December 28, 2020, 09:59:26 PM »
I’m just not getting carried away.   I was never anti smith but at the same time whilst he has done well on paper am realistic enough to know we have ridden our luck with the playoffs  and staying up last season

I might well be missing the point re recruitment when it was poor 15/18 months ago and now like a lottery win

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #10904 on: December 28, 2020, 10:29:42 PM »
Dean Smith came across really well in his post match interview on prime. He seems extremely down to earth and not in the slightest bit carried away.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal