collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Dogtanian
[Today at 11:47:47 AM]

Season Tickets by sid1964
[Today at 11:45:50 AM]

Kits 24/25 by LeeB
[Today at 11:42:06 AM]

Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by Bad English
[Today at 11:18:49 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Bad English
[Today at 11:08:57 AM]

Ross Barkley: Coming back? by brontebilly
[Today at 11:03:58 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by VillaTim
[June 03, 2024, 11:59:58 PM]

Cubs/Clarets membership by Pat McMahon
[June 03, 2024, 11:59:28 PM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1563896 times)

Offline RamboandBruno

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #10050 on: July 27, 2020, 02:03:34 PM »
Of course he'll be in charge beginning of next season. I'm just not convinced next year will be anything other than a struggle with him to be brutally honest - all season we lacked any sort of real identity in our play, and when we got a run in at the death it was based on skin-of-teeth, siege defending of the kind that makes me wonder if those advocating for Allardyce didn't get their wish in the end, in a way. Not to diminish this, or to say that I'm not really fond of Deano, I really am. I just remain unconvinced. But perhaps that's all for another day.
I feel the same.

And did he keep us up? Or did Bournemouth and Watford's shocking implosion do that? In the last two seasons we have been the fifth best side in the Championship , and 17th best in the Prem. That is hardly positive momentum. Yes, Smith did do well to achieve promotion- from a division he knew well, and in the play off lottery. I am not belittling his achievements, but the Villa job is not work experience.

He did not make the same impact that Dyche did when he took Burnley up, or Howe when he took Bournemouth up. The team has not been unlucky this season, it has not been good enough. Are we in a much better position to recruit this summer than last? What style of play are we offering new recruits?

Grealish is likely to go. Is Smith the man to replace him and use the money wisely?
Sweet mother of god.
How many times does it need to be said, 12 new players to start a premier league season; after finishing 5th in championship and winning the play off finals, we did not have a starting 11 from the promoted squad.
Where would you expect the majority of premier league teams, (with experience under their belts), to have ended up if they had to replace a keeper, centre half, defender, midfield enforcer, winger & striker before the first ball was kicked, noting that all the substitutes where also in their 1st season at the club?
AND THEN to lose the keeper & striker midway through the season, plus one of their influential midfielders for a major part of the season?
If any other manager did what Deano had done, (based on above), there would be plaudits galore; however we are Aston Villa and don't even get plaudits from our local news outlets.

I think the comments from garyfromfouroaks are very much along the lines of grealish got us up last year on his own virtually. Firstly Dyche actually took Burnley straight back down first time around, so Smith has surpassed that. Burnley consolidated because they stuck with Dyche after getting relegated with him. And putting our achievement mainly down to the fact that Bournemouth and Watford imploded (although not sure Bournemouth did implode) is just not correct. We got 8 points out of 12 at just the right time, through grit and determination, which the manager must of helped to instil.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #10051 on: July 27, 2020, 02:08:46 PM »
Of course he'll be in charge beginning of next season. I'm just not convinced next year will be anything other than a struggle with him to be brutally honest - all season we lacked any sort of real identity in our play, and when we got a run in at the death it was based on skin-of-teeth, siege defending of the kind that makes me wonder if those advocating for Allardyce didn't get their wish in the end, in a way. Not to diminish this, or to say that I'm not really fond of Deano, I really am. I just remain unconvinced. But perhaps that's all for another day.
I feel the same.

And did he keep us up? Or did Bournemouth and Watford's shocking implosion do that? In the last two seasons we have been the fifth best side in the Championship , and 17th best in the Prem. That is hardly positive momentum. Yes, Smith did do well to achieve promotion- from a division he knew well, and in the play off lottery. I am not belittling his achievements, but the Villa job is not work experience.

He did not make the same impact that Dyche did when he took Burnley up, or Howe when he took Bournemouth up. The team has not been unlucky this season, it has not been good enough. Are we in a much better position to recruit this summer than last? What style of play are we offering new recruits?

Grealish is likely to go. Is Smith the man to replace him and use the money wisely?
Sweet mother of god.
How many times does it need to be said, 12 new players to start a premier league season; after finishing 5th in championship and winning the play off finals, we did not have a starting 11 from the promoted squad.
Where would you expect the majority of premier league teams, (with experience under their belts), to have ended up if they had to replace a keeper, centre half, defender, midfield enforcer, winger & striker before the first ball was kicked, noting that all the substitutes where also in their 1st season at the club?
AND THEN to lose the keeper & striker midway through the season, plus one of their influential midfielders for a major part of the season?
If any other manager did what Deano had done, (based on above), there would be plaudits galore; however we are Aston Villa and don't even get plaudits from our local news outlets.

I think the comments from garyfromfouroaks are very much along the lines of grealish got us up last year on his own virtually. Firstly Dyche actually took Burnley straight back down first time around, so Smith has surpassed that. Burnley consolidated because they stuck with Dyche after getting relegated with him. And putting our achievement mainly down to the fact that Bournemouth and Watford imploded (although not sure Bournemouth did implode) is just not correct. We got 8 points out of 12 at just the right time, through grit and determination, which the manager must of helped to instil.

Some people are determined to see a cloud for every silver lining.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #10052 on: July 27, 2020, 02:09:02 PM »
We imploded loads of times this season. We led game against the best teams in the country very late and threw them away. While it’s a stat we should never have to rely to prove a point it needs to be made. It’s slim margins that can lead you to this point and while everyone gnashes their over that Sheff Utd goal, I would prefer we look a ourselves and realize that those same slim margins positioned a little differently and we are talking about a mid table football club not one that scraped by on the last day.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #10053 on: July 27, 2020, 02:11:49 PM »
Whatever he and his team have done to address the leaking of goals has been remarkable really. We have looked much, much better defensively since the restart. To restrict a very in form West Ham to just one shot on target is quite an achievement. We've set the standard for next season.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #10054 on: July 27, 2020, 02:13:34 PM »
If you're going to give Smith stick (which I have, lots) when things were going badly, then you have to hold your hands up and give him credit where it's due when he turns things round.  I was at the last game away at Leicester before lockdown, and it was dreadful.  We were outplayed and outthought, and it could and should have been a bigger battering than the 4-0 end scoreline.  And that game came after similarly piss poor displays at Southampton and Bournemouth. 

So I don't think it's much of a stretch to say that he was taking us down at that point with barely a whimper, and had there not been a shut down and he'd lost to Chelsea I do think there'd have been a parting of the ways.

The effort to keep us up was nothing short of superb though.  Far more organisation, belief and spirit, and he deserves the credit for that.  Now I'm at the point where I still wouldn't be averse to a big hitter like Pochettino coming in, but I'm also now interested to see what Smith can do in his second season.  There excuses that he had this season have mostly gone, and if they sort the recruitment side then there's no reason at all that we should struggle so badly again.

Offline Toronto Villa

« Reply #10055 on: July 27, 2020, 02:14:25 PM »
Whatever he and his team have done to address the leaking of goals has been remarkable really. We have looked much, much better defensively since the restart. To restrict a very in form West Ham to just one shot on target is quite an achievement. We've set the standard for next season.

That’s one shot on target from opponents in two games. We played one the form teams on Arsenal with two superb forwards and yesterday played one of the most in form strikers in Antonio. Yes he should have done better with his one clear cut chance but we gave him nothing besides. It’s a hell of an achievement at precisely the right time.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #10056 on: July 27, 2020, 02:16:37 PM »

That’s one shot on target from opponents in two games. We played one the form teams on Arsenal with two superb forwards and yesterday played one of the most in form strikers in Antonio. Yes he should have done better with his one clear cut chance but we gave him nothing besides. It’s a hell of an achievement at precisely the right time.

Agreed, the turnaround from conceding 20 shots a match is the main reason we stopped up.

Offline Toronto Villa

« Reply #10057 on: July 27, 2020, 02:24:25 PM »
Pre-lockdown: Most shots on target conceded per game

ASTON VILLA - 5.64
Newcastle - 5.55
Norwich - 5.38

Post-lockdown: Fewest shots on target conceded per game

Wolves - 2.22
Man City - 2.5
Liverpool - 2.78
ASTON VILLA - 2.8

Offline garyfouroaks

« Reply #10058 on: July 27, 2020, 02:33:21 PM »
If you're going to give Smith stick (which I have, lots) when things were going badly, then you have to hold your hands up and give him credit where it's due when he turns things round. 

The effort to keep us up was nothing short of superb though.  Far more organisation, belief and spirit, and he deserves the credit for that.  Now I'm at the point where I still wouldn't be averse to a big hitter like Pochettino coming in, but I'm also now interested to see what Smith can do in his second season.  There excuses that he had this season have mostly gone, and if they sort the recruitment side then there's no reason at all that we should struggle so badly again.

Fair comment.

We survived, and that was the critical thing.

In the past I have backed managers longer than others, I am no "hire em and fire em man".

The promoted Champ clubs are having their money cut by the Pl, our income has been hit, and will be hit, by the lockdown. It will be interesting to see how the transfer market as a whole shapes up for the next season.

Offline pipe

« Reply #10059 on: July 27, 2020, 02:34:12 PM »
He saw the defensive problems and worked on them during lockdown. That kept us up. He deserves the chance to put a bckbone into the team with perhaps 4 or 5 good players.

Online DrGonzo

« Reply #10060 on: July 27, 2020, 02:34:57 PM »
Good management is recognising your weaknesses and setting out to fix them. 

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #10061 on: July 27, 2020, 02:35:29 PM »
Pre-lockdown: Most shots on target conceded per game

ASTON VILLA - 5.64
Newcastle - 5.55
Norwich - 5.38

Post-lockdown: Fewest shots on target conceded per game

Wolves - 2.22
Man City - 2.5
Liverpool - 2.78
ASTON VILLA - 2.8

That stat says everything, hugely impressive

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #10062 on: July 27, 2020, 02:36:53 PM »
Yep, fair play.

Offline GordonCowansisthegreatest

« Reply #10063 on: July 27, 2020, 02:39:52 PM »
I'm not sure the shot was on target yesterday, probably flying over the bar! Only the lucky deflection gave them the goal.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #10064 on: July 27, 2020, 02:42:26 PM »
If anyone of us a year ago was offered remaining in the premiership and a cup final loss to probably one of the best teams in the country if not Europe on our first year back

We would have ripped someone's hand off.

We can analyse it to death - the facts are anyone can make mistakes- those that put them right are the successful ones

Well done Dean and the Villa boys - not seen a togetherness like that since the Little era

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal