collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

Re: FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by LeeB
[Today at 11:20:10 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 11:13:40 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Nev
[Today at 11:12:18 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 11:04:06 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Games Moved for TV  (Read 239617 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: Games Moved for TV
« Reply #240 on: July 09, 2019, 10:02:14 PM »
That's a bit shit if true. Wonder if someone at the club could raise this and if it would make any difference if they did.

Oh, and fucking renationalise. Tory c***s.

I'll repeat what we've always been told - the train companies are totally uninterested in helping us when it comes to Villa games.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #241 on: July 10, 2019, 09:07:08 AM »
Seems to be a general thing with public transport companies and sports events.

At the baseball in London, announcements were made to remind people that trains would not be held just because the game was running long.

Offline Olneythelonely

• GM : 03.03.2025
« Reply #242 on: July 10, 2019, 09:18:33 AM »
That's a bit shit if true. Wonder if someone at the club could raise this and if it would make any difference if they did.

I'll repeat what we've always been told - the train companies are totally uninterested in helping us when it comes to Villa games.

It’s not about disinterest, it’s about having the trains/staff to do it. It may make a difference if the club wanted to help fund it.

Extra trains will still be done on a game by game basis, whilst also running the normal timetabled service.

I’m not sure where the above is coming from re: not doing it at all, but that’s not true as far as I know.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #243 on: July 10, 2019, 10:12:33 AM »

It’s not about disinterest, it’s about having the trains/staff to do it. It may make a difference if the club wanted to help fund it.

Extra trains will still be done on a game by game basis, whilst also running the normal timetabled service.

I’m not sure where the above is coming from re: not doing it at all, but that’s not true as far as I know.

I don't see why the club should help fund it, I'm sure the local bus and taxi drivers would have something to say about that. The train companies show little or no interest because anything other than providing the most basic service required would involve investment that eats into profits and share dividends. Anyone who uses local rail services will tell you that.

Offline Olneythelonely

« Reply #244 on: July 10, 2019, 10:28:23 AM »

I don't see why the club should help fund it, I'm sure the local bus and taxi drivers would have something to say about that. The train companies show little or no interest because anything other than providing the most basic service required would involve investment that eats into profits and share dividends. Anyone who uses local rail services will tell you that.

Because we’re the club’s “customers” too and they’re more than aware of the restrictions on rail companies. But then as you quite rightly say, there are profits for the club to consider too.

I use local rail services. The company serving Witton and Aston are pumping in a billion pound over the course of the franchise. There are new trains being built, which will make all trains on that line (Cross City) 6 carriages. Running a “basic” 10 minute service on a line running through New Street is pretty miraculous.

Do you not think by the club and the rail company working together would help? Not just football but other events too. The current situation is organiser of event says it’s happening, train company says they can’t add capacity to cope with additional 30,000 people, event organiser says that’s your problem.

The local bus companies didn’t mind the club putting on special buses.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #245 on: July 10, 2019, 11:08:18 AM »
I'll believe all those investment promises when I see the stock on the lines, but we're getting away from the subject here. I'm not sure what the involvement is or has ever been between the club and public transport bar communicating on the actual dates of games. When I used to travel on the bus to Villa Park it appeared that the bus companies knew there was a match on and acted accordingly, laying on extra buses, extra buses means extra income and the service is provided.

The only reason I can see that the train companies don't or won't do this is the inability to provide the sufficient rolling stock and staff.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #246 on: July 10, 2019, 11:15:21 AM »
Next season shouldn't be as bad as it's ever been, there was timetable change in May so now there's four trains an hour in both directions on cross city line as opposed to half hour after 7.30pm.

Don't think I've ever caught a train after a Tuesday/Wednesday fixture but can only imagine how bad it is if you just miss the 9.40pm one and then half to wait for the next after 10pm so at least another one next season.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #247 on: July 10, 2019, 11:56:49 AM »
I'll believe all those investment promises when I see the stock on the lines, but we're getting away from the subject here. I'm not sure what the involvement is or has ever been between the club and public transport bar communicating on the actual dates of games. When I used to travel on the bus to Villa Park it appeared that the bus companies knew there was a match on and acted accordingly, laying on extra buses, extra buses means extra income and the service is provided.

The only reason I can see that the train companies don't or won't do this is the inability to provide the sufficient rolling stock and staff.

The train company has a finite amount of rolling stock as given to them by the DfT in their franchise. If they move some of it to provide extra services for a sports event that means a service elsewhere is going short or not being provided at all for which the train operator will be fined by the DfT. I’m sure they’d like to help but their franchise gives them minimal room for manoeuvre. I could go into a long rant here about current franchising and the useless DfT but will save for another time.

Back on topic, Fuck off Sky...

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #248 on: July 10, 2019, 12:02:28 PM »
We aren't talking about them providing extra services. We are discussing the removal of services which are already in place.

I think, anyway.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 12:53:12 PM by cdbullyweefan »

Offline sid1964

« Reply #249 on: July 10, 2019, 12:32:34 PM »
Without the SKY money we would not have the 2 gentlemen who are the owners now.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #250 on: July 10, 2019, 12:41:16 PM »

Why should they be interested?  Running a few special trains around our matches, at relatively short notice thanks to Sky, is probably a massive pain in the arse and very expensive.

Couple that with the fact that I bet the percentage of people on those trains who actually buy tickets for the journey is probably minimal I just don't see what's in it for the train companies.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #251 on: July 10, 2019, 12:56:35 PM »
That sort of attitude is exactly the reason why private companies shouldn't run public services. If you can't be arsed unless there's a big profit in it, that's not running a good service.

In any case, if you're worried about people not paying their fares, invest in more ticket inspectors.

Offline Olneythelonely

« Reply #252 on: July 10, 2019, 12:57:42 PM »
We aren't talking about them providing extra services. We are discussing the removal of services which are already in place.

I think, anyway.

There’s no removal of service. That’s not happening. It’s about the likelihood of providing additional services all the time.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #253 on: July 10, 2019, 01:05:18 PM »
That sort of attitude is exactly the reason why private companies shouldn't run public services. If you can't be arsed unless there's a big profit in it, that's not running a good service.

In any case, if you're worried about people not paying their fares, invest in more ticket inspectors.

If the train operator was controlled by our own local politicians as it’s starting to become then you may get what you want. I’m sure Andy Street and the Labour City Council would be more interested in your opinion and your vote than some faceless bureaucrat in Whitehall if they realised running extra trains at Villa matches may garner them a few votes. Or god forbid your match ticket gave you free travel around WM on a match day.

On your point about the company not being arsed isn’t true though, I’m sure they would if their franchise allowed them, they don’t have the rolling stock to enable them to do it. Who decides on how much rolling stock they can have, the Government.

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #254 on: July 10, 2019, 01:33:35 PM »

This is an area I'm working in, albeit over in Ireland, which hasn't gone through the privatisation process that was done in the UK. Public Service Obligation contracts are in place for routes (bus and rail) that are needed by the public but aren't profitable so require subsidy. To give you an idea of the scale, all bus services in Dublin City are PSO services and most town / city services throughout the country are as well, as well as all rail services. There's always a clamour for such services to provide access to concerts and special events, but in a lot of cases this can't be facilitated as it would have a knock-on effect on the operator's abilities to do the actual PSO element of their job (to and from work, education etc), meaning that the event license can have a condition attached that says that they need to put on coaches etc. to get people to and from the event, particularly when it is not in the city centre. Rail is a particularly complex one to plan for, so can only imagine the impact that 19 events throughout the course of a year, which can change with a week or two's notice, would have and it's somewhat understandable that they can't guarantee anything in this case.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal