collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Faria or Henry  (Read 15878 times)

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
Re: Faria or Henry
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2018, 09:43:28 AM »
Faria i suppose. Neither of them particularly excite me but Faria has 15 years experience with Maureen at least.  Henry is a bit too "OGS" for my liking.

Online simboy

• GM : 05.11.2024
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2018, 09:47:37 AM »
Henry would be a gamble, would we get a Cruyff or a Sherwood? Perhaps worth it as we have got to get it right one time ... haven’t we?

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2018, 09:49:48 AM »
Carlo Ancelotti
Luis Enrique
Laurent Blanc
Antonio Conte
Meanwhile back on planet earth.....

In defence of the_ads, I think he was listing good players who became good managers. Not potentials for this job.
Ah! Thank you. Sorry the_ads

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2018, 09:51:04 AM »
Wasnt AVB a protégés of Mourinho as well?
He turned out shite.

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2018, 09:54:42 AM »
yeah i suppose a gamble is better than a Moyes. As others have touched on though, it's not like he'd be coming into a well run set-up with loads of support, but a team that's been totally Bruced-up with no defence, no confidence and limited options to do anything about it before January. He's gonna have to sink or swim.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2018, 09:56:45 AM »
Wasnt AVB a protégés of Mourinho as well?
He turned out shite.

He won 7 trophies in Russia and Portugal so he wasn't that bad.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2018, 10:01:33 AM »
Henry. Watching him talk about the tactical side he learned from Pep, and having played under Wenger when he was a great manager, I just want to have some of that style embedded at Villa. Mourinho has always played very pragmatic football, and I fear Faria will be similar being so close to him.

I am not going to be upset with either, both bring risks, and both will be heavily reliant on having a decent coaching team around them, but I think Henry has the potential to be brilliant if he can translate his knowledge to the pitch.

I think that's what sways me towards Henry.

Someone posted a clip of Henry talking about the shape under Pep at Barca, and how if they lost their shape or disobeyed him they knew about it, but it was all designed to allow them to hurt teams by creating space in the final third and trusting each other on the ball.

What is this “final third” he speaks of?

Henry for me. He’s played at the absolute top level and we have an embarrassment of attacking wealth in this league. Albion with lesser talent are piling in the goals. There is no reason we cannot do the same and we need someone who at that end of the pitch is amongst the very best there ever has been. He’ll be smart enough to bring good coaches with him. A very high profile name that players will love to play for. Respected all across the game. Love the beard.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 10:06:50 AM by Toronto Villa »

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2018, 10:06:01 AM »
Of the two, Henry. It's not going to solve all of our problems, but imagine his attacking instincts shaped around Grealish and Abraham? We wouldn't be worrying about goals conceded.

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2018, 10:08:12 AM »
WBA's defence is nowhere near as bad as ours. They have a balanced team as well which helps. People have to start to start being a bit realistic for a change. We have a car crash defence, a midfield full of attacking options but no-one to do the legwork and protect the defence. Trying to turn into a 2018 version of an Ardiles side, is just gonna end badly

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2018, 10:12:36 AM »
I think there's an impression of Henry that because he was an attacker that he'd have no idea what to do with defence. That assumes quite a bit about the coaching credentials he's earned.

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2018, 10:16:22 AM »
I think there's an impression of Henry that because he was an attacker that he'd have no idea what to do with defence. That assumes quite a bit about the coaching credentials he's earned.

well yeah, you'd hope so. I certainly would be trying to sort out defence first if i was Henry or anyone else for that matter. Stop shipping 2 or 3 goals a match and then you possibly have a decent chance of winning games

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2018, 10:16:29 AM »
To be honest I feel anyone would be a gamble with our basket case of a squad. I’m sure since these players have been in our first team they have not been coached at all.

The newer players fresh from another side with structures might fair better. Our longer serving first teams might wonder what the fuck is going on, after all, all they have had to do is pull up their socks and roll their sleeves back.

Offline dl9

• It all began vs Eintracht Frankfurt......
« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2018, 10:26:02 AM »
Nigel Farage or Lenny Henry?

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2018, 11:29:54 AM »
If it is Henry with Terry as No 2 and coming back to play, it would solve many of the worries and galvanise the squad overnight.

Offline kipeye

• GM : PCM
« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2018, 11:39:08 AM »
Who matters a little less now than previously if our new owners are committed to the long term. 5 years of stability on and off the pitch are what is required as long as we continue to improve.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal