collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Behind Bluenose Lines
[Today at 10:32:22 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:30:40 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:29:02 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:27:22 PM]

Re: FFP by aj2k77
[Today at 10:21:35 PM]

Re: FFP by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:11:07 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:07:44 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Hopadop
[Today at 09:57:22 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Xia gone?  (Read 22697 times)

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Xia gone?
« Reply #75 on: September 26, 2018, 02:12:50 PM »
I'd like his first interview to be...

"I really didn't have a choice. The results and performances have not been good enough and it was time to make a change. We thank Steve for his efforts and wish him well for the future."

Is that fluffy enough ? :)

I suspect that's exactly what it will be.  What I mean by fluff is things like watching football as a kid and how great the training ground was when he first visited. It's all meaningless but, just like a job interview, you can learn a lot more about someone from things like that than you will be looking at their CV or asking them about how they see things going in the next 5 years.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #76 on: September 26, 2018, 02:15:49 PM »
That's largely what i was getting at. I suspect he'll stay quiet until there's something the fans like that comes out. Resigning Jack could've been it if there wasn't so much noise around Bruce.

If he's sensible he'll be waiting for a "this is just the start" event as his 'show me'.

Yet only a handful of posts earlier you say you want a fluff piece from him?

Is the difference between "I'd like" and "I suspect" really so confusing?

I'd like a fluff piece because I think it's right for fans to hear the CEO speak as early as possible, even if it's inconsequential. However I don't think we'll get one because too many fans will moan if they hear from him before something significant happens and I'd guess the club knows that.  If things had been going better on the pitch I suspect we'd have heard from him when Grealish signed his new deal, with a "we want to keep our best young players and build a team around them" speech but because Bruce is on such shaky ground the club know that anything like that they put out would be met by comments calling for Bruce to be sacked.

Ok. So you want him to do something that isn't sensible. Brilliant. Now I understand completely.

Yes, I'm glad you've managed to work it out eventually that what I'd like to see doesn't have to be what happens or even what would be the best thing to do given the current situation. I was afraid that I was going to have to explain and be accused of being patronising.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #77 on: September 26, 2018, 02:22:11 PM »
I'd like his first interview to be...

"I really didn't have a choice. The results and performances have not been good enough and it was time to make a change. We thank Steve for his efforts and wish him well for the future."

Is that fluffy enough ? :)

I suspect that's exactly what it will be.  What I mean by fluff is things like watching football as a kid and how great the training ground was when he first visited. It's all meaningless but, just like a job interview, you can learn a lot more about someone from things like that than you will be looking at their CV or asking them about how they see things going in the next 5 years.

I don't see what the point would have been personally. I can imagine the abuse the club would have got on Social Media if they've had posted up an interview telling us meaningless tit bits about his favourite ground, what biscuits he likes with his tea etc. It would have pretty pointless. Harmless, but pointless.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #78 on: September 26, 2018, 02:32:49 PM »
That's largely what i was getting at. I suspect he'll stay quiet until there's something the fans like that comes out. Resigning Jack could've been it if there wasn't so much noise around Bruce.

If he's sensible he'll be waiting for a "this is just the start" event as his 'show me'.

I'd like a fluff piece because I think it's right for fans to hear the CEO speak as early as possible, even if it's inconsequential. However I don't think we'll get one because too many fans will moan if they hear from him before something significant happens and I'd guess the club knows that.  If things had been going better on the pitch I suspect we'd have heard from him when Grealish signed his new deal, with a "we want to keep our best young players and build a team around them" speech but because Bruce is on such shaky ground the club know that anything like that they put out would be met by comments calling for Bruce to be sacked.

Ok. So you want him to do something that isn't sensible. Brilliant. Now I understand completely.

Yes, I'm glad you've managed to work it out eventually that what I'd like to see doesn't have to be what happens or even what would be the best thing to do given the current situation. I was afraid that I was going to have to explain and be accused of being patronising.

Quite how anyone would say they'd like to see something that doesn't make sense and wouldn't be in the best interests of the club is beyond me. It's a nonsensical approach. Next you'll be saying you'd like to keep Bruce, sell Grealish, put seat prices up 100% and stop selling beer and pies on matchdays.

Is it any surprise it took a while to work out?

Offline paul_e

« Reply #79 on: September 26, 2018, 02:34:09 PM »

Quite how anyone would say they'd like to see something that doesn't make sense and wouldn't be in the best interests of the club is beyond me. It's a nonsensical approach. Next you'll be saying you'd like to keep Bruce, sell Grealish, put seat prices up 100% and stop selling beer and pies on matchdays.

It took a while for you to work out, no one else seems to care.

Offline RussellC

• GM : 04.04.2016
« Reply #80 on: September 26, 2018, 02:38:16 PM »
I'm sure the club could have reeled out a "Happy to be at this great club and focused on the task at hand" type soundbite, without opening themselves up to abuse. As it is, the silence is - in itself - a cause of suspicion, as this very conversation proves. Especially as they've bothered to quote him on Jack's contract extension, and that he was in the photo with SB when Abraham signed.

We know that Villa's in-house Social media team are pretty 'on the ball' these days, so there's obviously a strategic reason behind them not rolling out the full YouTube welcome mat for Purlsow.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #81 on: September 26, 2018, 02:51:22 PM »
I'm sure the club could have reeled out a "Happy to be at this great club and focused on the task at hand" type soundbite, without opening themselves up to abuse. As it is, the silence is - in itself - a cause of suspicion, as this very conversation proves. Especially as they've bothered to quote him on Jack's contract extension, and that he was in the photo with SB when Abraham signed.

We know that Villa's in-house Social media team are pretty 'on the ball' these days, so there's obviously a strategic reason behind them not rolling out the full YouTube welcome mat for Purlsow.

Exactly. It's a no win situation because whatever they do some fans will be pissed off. I've explained why I like those 'welcome' interviews but I don't expect everyone to agree with me.

As for the strategic reason at a guess I think they're waiting until the sporting director is in place and they've made a decision on Bruce. I really wouldn't surprise me if we get lots of the social media friendly stuff in a big release over 2-3 weeks once everything is sorted.

Offline b23

• GM : 02.09.2019
« Reply #82 on: September 26, 2018, 05:30:10 PM »

Everyone likes a bit of fluff, don't they ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05d6bgh

Offline passport1

• "I'm a believer mate"
« Reply #83 on: September 26, 2018, 05:53:30 PM »
Not Arf

Offline Drummond

« Reply #84 on: September 26, 2018, 10:27:38 PM »

No, perhaps I should ignore you too.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #85 on: September 26, 2018, 10:37:30 PM »

Look, you're just not my type, get over it.

Offline Drummond

« Reply #86 on: September 27, 2018, 08:29:43 AM »

Oh but Paul, I don't think I could possibly love you more than you love yourself.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #87 on: September 27, 2018, 09:15:46 AM »
Any chance of giving it a rest?

Offline Drummond

« Reply #88 on: September 27, 2018, 09:21:45 AM »
Any chance of giving it a rest?

For you, anything.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #89 on: September 27, 2018, 11:50:53 AM »

Oh but Paul, I don't think I could possibly love you more than you love yourself.

It's ironic that you ended this by doing exactly what you were accusing me of doing by contradicting yourself.

However I agree with Risso, the whole thing is pretty tedious and I stil ldon't really get why you felt the need to start it so I'll leave the thread alone for a bit.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal