collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Next manager?  (Read 330404 times)

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
Re: Next manager?
« Reply #60 on: August 29, 2018, 03:23:08 PM »
If we're going full-Mendez, Rui Vitória at Benfica.

Has won four leagues in a row there, but might not have the kind of profile (yet) to get a topflight job in England.  Compare to Nuno Espírito Santo at FC Porto, who -in his last season there- won phuck all. Which with Porto's natural advantages takes some doing.

I like Rodgers, and his defensive set-up can't be that suspect of he got Swansea promoted out of this league, kept them up comfortably and then guided Liverpool to second place. Maybe he's not hot on zonal marking and all the rest of it. But at their best, his sides keep the ball so well you don't get a chance to get near the backline. It's not just pointless Mowbray/ Lamberk possession football in non threatening areas either. His sides play with a good tempo and are always looking to work an opening.

Wenger would be a non from me; at least as manager/head coach. I don't agree at all that because Steve Bruce has gained promotion four times playing ugly, turgid stuff that is the only way to do it.  But sides in the Championship do need to be combative -even the ones that play good football. Wenger has steadfastly refused to go that route since at least 2006. You'd also have to wonder how much the last few years have taken out of him. And for someone with such a strong association with one particular club, would he really have the motivation to start again and achieve owt here.

Someone of that ilk with knowledge of the European game, modern structures and training methods would be invaluable though. Perhaps as an advisor/ technical director in some capacity.

Offline robleflaneur

« Reply #61 on: August 29, 2018, 03:31:11 PM »
Wouldn't mind either Dean Smith or Paul Cook who has an impressive record.
Michael O'Neill has done well at club level and as Northern Iron boss
Quique Flores seems to have a slightly better record than Oscar Garcia.
Danny Cowley of Lincoln City ,Brendan Rodgers,Lee Johnson,Neil Harris of Millwall as the reserves in the easier to get list.
It might be difficult to lure one of the following: Dyche,Howe,Mikel Arteta,Wagner and Rafa but worth trying.
Then there must be  other suitable candidates abroad.
Henry or even Terry would give me more cause for optimism than the present incumbent.

Brendan,I'm not so sure about,but far better than Bruce.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #62 on: August 29, 2018, 03:36:09 PM »
Surely everyone was crapola last night due to the fact that nobody was in a position they knew/enjoyed. I mean what was he thinking? If he was making a point I'm not sure what it was...

Eh?

All the back four had played in their positions before, three in their 'correct' positions
The midfield all played in their correct positions
RHM played in his correct position
Axel played in a position he's played in at Man Utd also

i'm all for making bold claims but unless i've read the team completely wrong nobody was out of position last night apart from Bree, and he got MOTM

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #63 on: August 29, 2018, 03:37:36 PM »
I guess until we know a bit more about the new owners' ambitions it's hard to know what market we are shopping in.  For example, if they are serious about getting us to be serious players in the Prem then surely we need to think outside of the calibre that we are currently musing over, like Smith.  A statement of intent really would be a move for a manager none of us really think would come - in which case I'd be looking at the likes of Dyche. 

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #64 on: August 29, 2018, 03:40:50 PM »
Surely everyone was crapola last night due to the fact that nobody was in a position they knew/enjoyed. I mean what was he thinking? If he was making a point I'm not sure what it was...

Eh?

All the back four had played in their positions before, three in their 'correct' positions

i'm all for making bold claims but unless i've read the team completely wrong nobody was out of position last night apart from Bree, and he got MOTM
Nice one Alex

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #65 on: August 29, 2018, 03:42:49 PM »

Eh?

well either the set up is wrong or all them players your boy Bruce bought in are performing rubbish

either way it don't look good on him

Offline robleflaneur

« Reply #66 on: August 29, 2018, 03:48:52 PM »

Eh?

Nice one Alex
What is also relevant is that he signed 8 of the 12 that played last night.As he regards himself as a motivator who gets players to roll up their sleeves and put their boots on,the embarrassment ,as he called it,is a damning indictment of his methods.It's time that he put his boots on and went walking.

Offline Breezeblock

• GM : 29.11.2024
« Reply #67 on: August 29, 2018, 03:56:24 PM »
To be fair what Russ Abbot is doing with that shower of shite down the road is interesting - he's got them playing some decent football and I cant help wondering what he'd do with some decent players.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #68 on: August 29, 2018, 04:06:26 PM »

Eh?

Nice one Alex

Hilarious but what did i get wrong ?

Offline maigrait

• GM : 12.07.2019
« Reply #69 on: August 29, 2018, 04:14:21 PM »

Eh?

Apologies I was working last night so only had to go off Bruces interview and when he said wholesale changes I assumed meant as are short in a few positions he dicked around and played people out of position.

Which kinda makes it worse which means that everyone was in the right position so either they couldn't be arsed, can't be bothered to play for bruce or we read the opposition wrong.

I'm all for stability for the villa engine but time surely running out...

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #70 on: August 29, 2018, 04:16:20 PM »
If we're going full-Mendez, Rui Vitória at Benfica.

Has won four leagues in a row there, but might not have the kind of profile (yet) to get a topflight job in England.  Compare to Nuno Espírito Santo at FC Porto, who -in his last season there- won phuck all. Which with Porto's natural advantages takes some doing.

Benfica is such a massive club, it's difficult to fail there. I like Rui Vitória but the only way we'd get our hands on him is if he was sacked. Another Mendes coach is Mourinho's assistant since he first joined Chelsea, Rui Faria. He left the Plastics in the summer and is looking for his first managerial job. he was tipped to replace Rui Vitória at Benfica in the summer. Sporting also made him an offer this summer but he turned them down.

He's certainly very much in demand and I'm sure getting bored right now.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 04:29:13 PM by Rudy Can't Fail »

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #71 on: August 29, 2018, 04:23:52 PM »
I'd like Howe or Dyche. I don't think we'd get them.
Second choice would be Arteta or Rodgers.

Sadly, I dont think anything will happen till a CEO is appointed.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #72 on: August 29, 2018, 04:28:11 PM »
Can we please stop mentioning Brendan Bloody Rogers. As someone mentioned a while back, this was the man who got out thought by Tim Tactics Sherwood at Wembley.

According to my Kopite mate he can’t organise a defence for anything.

Sherwood also got the better of Pochettino while he was Villa manager, I'm guessing not many of us would turn him down.

Rodgers would be a breath of fresh air. Unlike Dean Smith he's actually achieved something in English football, and his teams play good stuff.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #73 on: August 29, 2018, 04:30:26 PM »
I agree - mind you, his ego could give the chosen one's a run for its money

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #74 on: August 29, 2018, 04:31:55 PM »

I quite like Rodgers and having managed Liverpool and Celtic he certainly wouldn't be overawed by the job in hand. I'm not sure how thick his skin is though.

Can't see any possible reason why he'd leave Celtic for us in the Championship though.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal