collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by PeterWithe
[Today at 09:22:28 AM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by AV84
[Today at 09:21:03 AM]

Lucas Digne - Signed by VillaTim
[Today at 09:18:49 AM]

Champions League Contention by rob_bridge
[Today at 09:13:41 AM]

Leon Bailey - signed by Astnor
[Today at 09:04:02 AM]

Press-ing on a bit by Legion
[Today at 09:03:15 AM]

Diego Carlos by rougegorge
[Today at 08:59:15 AM]

Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world by Drummond
[Today at 08:55:54 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Next manager?  (Read 330345 times)

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
Re: Next manager?
« Reply #495 on: September 23, 2018, 11:49:38 AM »
We have a very simple problem.  Who is the very best manager we can recruit.  The best, not the quickest, not the easiest, not the biggest Villa fan, the best.  Then throw whatever money it takes at that manager and get him.  Buying a manager out of the top drawer is peanuts compared with buying a player of the same stature.  Our nightmare started when we did not make Martinez an offer he could not refuse.

Not so much not getting Martinez but choosing Mcleish instead.

Online Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #496 on: September 23, 2018, 11:49:41 AM »
Have we ever appointed a manager that had been The Obvious Replacement?

Martin O'Neill.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #497 on: September 23, 2018, 11:52:00 AM »
How about Dean Smith with John Terry alongside?

Terry would still be able to play and have the close knit relationship with the players. A better solution than chucking Terry straight in as Manager.

I honestly think Bruce will be sacked in the next fortnight after a couple more poor results. Terry will apply, give the knowledge of the players, respect of the dressing room spiel and get the job provisionally for the rest of the season.

I tell you what, he'd get more out of the players than this sack of potatoes is at the moment.

Offline Nelson Lodge

« Reply #498 on: September 23, 2018, 11:52:22 AM »
Thinking bigger and for longer term - Antonio Conte still available. Was at the Fulham vs Watford game yesterday - with his brother who is a coach.
In his 2 years at Chelski; 106 games with a Win ratio of 65.1%. That will do.

However his agent is not Mendes. Pretty sure the new owners will go foreign and probably use Mendes as an "adviser".

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #499 on: September 23, 2018, 11:56:14 AM »
ANTONIO CONTE FOR GOD'S SAKE, GUYS, STOP.

Online Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #500 on: September 23, 2018, 12:03:28 PM »

Martin O'Neill.

Also Big Ron, Brian and Lambert to some extent.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #501 on: September 23, 2018, 12:05:59 PM »
Lambert was not an obvious replacement at all imo.

Six months later Southampton appointed Pochettino for example.

Online Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #502 on: September 23, 2018, 12:06:48 PM »

Martin O'Neill.

Also Big Ron, Brian and Lambert to some extent.

Too young to remember if he was The Obvious Replacement but looking back, SGT the most obvious of all.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #503 on: September 23, 2018, 12:10:07 PM »
It wouldn't shock me if it was someone like Fonseca tbh.

Good pedigree abroad at Donestk, apparently speaks English and wants to work in English football, was interviewed for Everton job a while ago so I think Mendes will probably be pushing him forward for owners to consider.

Looks like within the last 18 months the stigma of appointing random foreign managers to the championship is lessening when you think of the impact the likes of Nuno and Bielsa have made.

The German coaches at Norwich and Sheff Weds are starting to get consistant results aswell now.

I would go for Fonesca with outsider being Carlos Carvahal. He seems to be popping up in the media again so looks like he wants another job in England and he has got a team at this level into the play offs twice even if they did spend a lot.

Offline Keeno

• Twitter
« Reply #504 on: September 23, 2018, 12:16:51 PM »
Fonseca
Rodgers
Garcia
Ferreira
Smith

Any of the above

Big fan of this list. Fonseca is a Mendez client - it would be a Nuno-esque appointment and he would have us playing fantastic stuff but I just feel he might be looking at a job in the top tier instead..

Offline Keeno

• Twitter
« Reply #505 on: September 23, 2018, 12:19:20 PM »
It wouldn't shock me if it was someone like Fonseca tbh.

Good pedigree abroad at Donestk, apparently speaks English and wants to work in English football, was interviewed for Everton job a while ago so I think Mendes will probably be pushing him forward for owners to consider.

Looks like within the last 18 months the stigma of appointing random foreign managers to the championship is lessening when you think of the impact the likes of Nuno and Bielsa have made.

The German coaches at Norwich and Sheff Weds are starting to get consistant results aswell now.

I would go for Fonesca with outsider being Carlos Carvahal. He seems to be popping up in the media again so looks like he wants another job in England and he has got a team at this level into the play offs twice even if they did spend a lot.

There is a massive difference in pedigree over the last 2-3 years between Fonseca and Carvahal... I know which one I'd go for

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #506 on: September 23, 2018, 12:21:41 PM »
I would say Carvahal would be a plan B/C fall back if a top target or two knocks us back e.g. knows this level, got a team into top 6 although of course SB did all this previously.

I know he went down at Swansea but they did have some good results early on in his reign, beat Liverpool and Arsenal in his first few games.

If a new manager can come in the next few weeks and hits the ground running we wouldn't be that far off the top 2. We aren't that far off it now despite a very mediocre season so far.

Offline XXVilla

« Reply #507 on: September 23, 2018, 12:27:25 PM »

Martin O'Neill.

Big Ron. Brian Little

Offline XXVilla

« Reply #508 on: September 23, 2018, 12:28:21 PM »
I would say Carvahal would be a plan B/C fall back if a top target or two knocks us back e.g. knows this level, got a team into top 6 although of course SB did all this previously.

I know he went down at Swansea but they did have some good results early on in his reign, beat Liverpool and Arsenal in his first few games.

If a new manager can come in the next few weeks and hits the ground running we wouldn't be that far off the top 2. We aren't that far off it now despite a very mediocre season so far.

Lambert beat both Liverpool and Arsenal

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #509 on: September 23, 2018, 12:29:03 PM »
Given the level Fonseca is at the moment i'm not sure he's going to be that attracted to us, especially when there is probably bigger fish looking at him.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal