collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Ads
[Today at 11:47:33 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by David_Nab
[Today at 11:20:28 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[Today at 11:19:47 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Axl Rose
[Today at 11:15:52 PM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by AV84
[Today at 11:09:51 PM]

MOTD by PeterWithe
[Today at 11:07:30 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Steve67
[Today at 10:58:00 PM]

Robin Olsen by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:54:37 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Pit of Misery (All mess in here)  (Read 92528 times)

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
Re: The Pit of Misery (All mess in here)
« Reply #345 on: June 07, 2018, 08:36:55 PM »
Could it be an elaborate way of getting his money out of China?

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #346 on: June 07, 2018, 08:47:23 PM »
Its Tom Hanks

Obviously

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #347 on: June 07, 2018, 08:48:32 PM »
If you can have a whip round i'll gladly fly to China and bring all his millions over in suitcases.  Plus for cash we should be able to arrange better deals.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #348 on: June 07, 2018, 08:49:48 PM »
Could it be an elaborate way of getting his money out of China?
It  suggests new shareholders, that’s about as much as you can speculate.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #349 on: June 07, 2018, 09:05:39 PM »
I just don't get why anyone would want equity in villa? Not at a decent price anyway

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #350 on: June 07, 2018, 09:18:36 PM »
Just read an article stating that Xia could face jail time in China for wasting his money on us. The guy who's head of Fosun who own Wolves was arrested for questioning over the same thing. My question to Dr Tony is this. " Knowing how difficult it is for Chinese citizens to "export" your money out of the country why the fuck did you buy the villa and make all those bold predictions?"

So how can he keep putting in?

Offline GarTomas

« Reply #351 on: June 07, 2018, 09:18:46 PM »
I just don't get why anyone would want equity in villa? Not at a decent price anyway

That effectively what all owners have in a club.  Even Lerner had lent the club money suggesting debt and not equity but then part of the sale was clearing the same debt.

Offline GarTomas

« Reply #352 on: June 07, 2018, 09:20:19 PM »
The main holding company is issuing some more shares.  One of the subsidiary Aston Villa companies is issuing shares and removing the pre-emption rights, which means that when they issue shares, they don't have to offer minority shareholders the chance to buy them in the same proportion.
None of the detail is accessible though until the document appears fully on Companies House, which can take up to 5 days.
So removal of pre-emption means new shares are ring fenced for a particular individual/company.

In practice yes - no guarantee that the individual or company has been identified though.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #353 on: June 07, 2018, 09:20:58 PM »

That effectively what all owners have in a club.  Even Lerner had lent the club money suggesting debt and not equity but then part of the sale was clearing the same debt.

For most of his time, Lerner injected debt and equity in equal amounts.

Offline GarTomas

« Reply #354 on: June 07, 2018, 09:24:07 PM »

For most of his time, Lerner injected debt and equity in equal amounts.

Your memory is better than mine!

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #355 on: June 07, 2018, 09:39:34 PM »
To have purchased the club he would have to have gained exchange control license.
The currency restrictions in China are not to prevent legitimate business activity.
Financing a Football club that you have purchased would be legitimate.
So unless something else has happened in China I see no reason why he would not be able to use money if it was available to him.
As mentioned above he banks with HSBC which is the ideal institution to move money legitimately in and out of China.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #356 on: June 07, 2018, 09:49:00 PM »
I was reading something yesterday about the Chinese authorities taking a dim view of what they saw as vanity investments in sports teams, and instead wanted to see investment in things like infrastructure projects in Africa.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
Re: The Pit of Misery (All mess in her
« Reply #357 on: June 07, 2018, 09:52:40 PM »
I was reading something yesterday about the Chinese authorities taking a dim view of what they saw as vanity investments in sports teams, and instead wanted to see investment in things like infrastructure projects in Africa.
When Xia first came on the scene it was suggested that China wanted to have a top International  Football team and that these investments in football was blessed by Xi Jingping.
 It could have been PR of course and things could have changed.
I know the stuff they are clamping down on, domestic real estate investment, shadow banking operations and any project / scheme which is just a vehicle to obtain foreign currency positions.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 09:58:17 PM by ChicagoLion »

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #358 on: June 07, 2018, 10:02:15 PM »

I know that. Once they're in they get sucked more in trying to sort it out. But isn't the suggestion here they someone else has put equity into a  massive loss making business that could be available at a knock down price in a matter of weeks or months?

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #359 on: June 07, 2018, 10:04:54 PM »
To have purchased the club he would have to have gained exchange control license.
The currency restrictions in China are not to prevent legitimate business activity.
Financing a Football club that you have purchased would be legitimate.
So unless something else has happened in China I see no reason why he would not be able to use money if it was available to him.
As mentioned above he banks with HSBC which is the ideal institution to move money legitimately in and out of China.

I've read that it's very difficult to pinpoint the controls, and that the authorities can just move for or against you on stuff like this

But I also read that the controls that have affected the company invested in Atletico madrid - and which they had to sell because of that - only really kick in at a level of investment higher than what Xia has put in (though I reckon he's done the best part of 150m!)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal