collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

Re: FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by LeeB
[Today at 11:20:10 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 11:13:40 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Nev
[Today at 11:12:18 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 11:04:06 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Tony’s Statement.  (Read 320694 times)

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
Re: Tony’s Statement.
« Reply #960 on: June 20, 2018, 08:57:31 AM »
The recent turmoil has made me realise just how much Villa are a constant in my life, it is ghastly imagining a world without them. I dpn't think I could bring myself to ever support another team if the club disappeared.

Surely with a club as large, old and famous as the Villa someone will pitch up and take it off Tony's hands. I hope so, as I have zero confidence in him to get us through this. When Man City had issues wioth their dodgy Thai owner (Taksim Shinawatra?) they managed to pull a rabbit out of the hat by finding very wealthy new owners. Villa are far bigger than Man City were at the time, lets hope this ends well.

Offline Mortimer's Bear

• GM : 30.05.2019
« Reply #961 on: June 20, 2018, 09:11:46 AM »
The recent turmoil has made me realise just how much Villa are a constant in my life, it is ghastly imagining a world without them. I dpn't think I could bring myself to ever support another team if the club disappeared.

Surely with a club as large, old and famous as the Villa someone will pitch up and take it off Tony's hands. I hope so, as I have zero confidence in him to get us through this. When Man City had issues wioth their dodgy Thai owner (Taksim Shinawatra?) they managed to pull a rabbit out of the hat by finding very wealthy new owners. Villa are far bigger than Man City were at the time, lets hope this ends well.

We are still a bigger club than Man City.

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #962 on: June 20, 2018, 09:18:51 AM »

I agree. It is a shitty state of affairs when pisspot teams like City and Chelsea have managed to spend their way big, but rules stop larger clubs like Villa from doing the same. I don't see what is fair about FFP, load of old bollocks.

Online Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #963 on: June 20, 2018, 11:05:43 AM »
I know nothing of how financing businesses works but if he is speaking with people / organisations regarding investment or ideally a takeover would that all be subject to non disclosure agreements hence nothing out of the club other than the one line statements about Wyness etc?

Also seen administration mentioned a few times - seem to remember when Portsmouth for one we’re going through admin that the theory was admin made them more attractive to buyers because of the writing down of debts, the players were seen as special so were paid but the big losers were the local businesses who dealt with the club - is that the case?  Would hope on a class and dignity level that if that is right admin is avoided.

Seems mad that less than a month ago we were panicking over FFP and now who knows (& I suspect the press know little more than we do) what is going on.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #964 on: June 20, 2018, 11:17:44 AM »
Gareth, yes any sale or investment negotiations would be kept secret, although I think investment leaving Tony in control is extremely unlikely.
Portsmouth had built up a huge HMRC debt and one of the reasons why HMRC are less lenient with Football Clubs.
Yes all non Secured and non Football Creditors  can get wiped.
The sale of the club will take time, probably several weeks.
If there is a genuine sale process in place  it is often the case that HMRC will hold off.

Online Billy Walker

« Reply #965 on: June 20, 2018, 11:23:56 AM »

I was thinking and saying similar when Randy was selling the Club.  For us to get the kind of owners we want and need to make us competitive at the very top end of football again we need a whole lot lobbying to be going on behind the scenes at both business and political levels.  It's been discussed on here before how George Osborne guided Man City's present owners to Manchester on the back of the "Northern Powerhouse" project and I was hoping similar big hitters would be nudged towards Randy (assuming such big hitters are out there, of course).   Instead, four Chinese groups were circling ourselves, Wolves, West Brom and Bham City and we seem to have been landed with worst of the lot - and that is despite having the likes of Hollis and Mervyn King on board!  I'm not sure what conclusions to draw from it all.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #966 on: June 20, 2018, 11:28:19 AM »
What will make Football Clubs more attractive to investors is when they kill off relegation, because that allows for the creation of franchises with even more predictable income streams.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #967 on: June 20, 2018, 11:29:39 AM »
Manchester City were taken over in 2008, when George Osborne was still in opposition.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #968 on: June 20, 2018, 11:35:40 AM »
Man. City were in lots of mess before Dubai took over. Didn't Thaksin have his cash frozen in Thailand due to some corruption investigation? There was talk of administration there for a while and then within a few days they were signing Robinho for 32m.

Not really sure how Dubai came in for them.

Online SamTheMouse

• Location: The Land of the Fragrant Founders of Human Rights, Fine Wines & Bikinis
  • GM : 03.11.2024
« Reply #969 on: June 20, 2018, 11:55:45 AM »
I still can't fathom how Villa aren't up there with the most successful clubs.

We're the biggest club in England's second city, great infrastructure, lovely stadium, distinctive brand, illustrious history, former
European champions, excellent, loyal fan base and potential for a frankly huge following across the West Mids conurbation and beyond.

The potential is massive. It's a tragedy that for so long we've been run by people lacking the vision and judgment needed to fulfill it.

Online Duncan Shaw

« Reply #970 on: June 20, 2018, 12:32:03 PM »

We simply aren't though any more, as rose tinted as we'd all like to look at it.  City, Chelsea, Spurs they are all bigger clubs than us now sadly and the gap is growing at an alarming rate!

Online Billy Walker

« Reply #971 on: June 20, 2018, 01:05:51 PM »
Manchester City were taken over in 2008, when George Osborne was still in opposition.

Yep, you're right, I was mixing it up with when Osborne guided the Chinese President to Manchester instead of Birmingham back in 2015. The political and economic process of lobbying for huge investment in Manchester was certainly in full swing in 2008, though, and Osborne was right behind it before, during and after being in government.   Without similar behind the scenes influence and movement, we might well be snookered. 

Online Billy Walker

« Reply #972 on: June 20, 2018, 01:10:32 PM »

We simply aren't though any more, as rose tinted as we'd all like to look at it.  City, Chelsea, Spurs they are all bigger clubs than us now sadly and the gap is growing at an alarming rate!

That's because they all have wealthy, savvy, credible owners.  Give us an ambitious owners of a similar scale and we would soon be back on track.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #973 on: June 20, 2018, 01:16:20 PM »

Yep, you're right, I was mixing it up with when Osborne guided the Chinese President to Manchester instead of Birmingham back in 2015. The political and economic process of lobbying for huge investment in Manchester was certainly in full swing in 2008, though, and Osborne was right behind it before, during and after being in government.   Without similar behind the scenes influence and movement, we might well be snookered. 

I would think none of that had much to do with it though.  Manchester City had a shiny new stadium that didn't even need to be bought, and the Arab purchasers of City probably considered that a Manchester based football club would be easier to get going again and market worldwide than a Birmingham one.

Online Duncan Shaw

« Reply #974 on: June 20, 2018, 01:21:46 PM »

I would think none of that had much to do with it though.  Manchester City had a shiny new stadium that didn't even need to be bought, and the Arab purchasers of City probably considered that a Manchester based football club would be easier to get going again and market worldwide than a Birmingham one.

This is true, we are the Second City reaally in name only now.  The media (Beeb especially) and Government bias towards Manchester as the only other place worth talking about than London now is overwhelming!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal