collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Lille vs Aston Villa match thread by JUAN PABLO
[Today at 08:13:58 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Jane
[Today at 08:08:23 PM]

Tennis 2024 by maidstonevillain
[Today at 08:02:08 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Tony’s Statement.  (Read 322541 times)

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
Re: Tony’s Statement.
« Reply #435 on: June 06, 2018, 06:07:38 PM »
I have no regrets backing him. I'd have got behind whoever it was who came in. That's what supporters do.
Yes some see supporting the manager and the club as the same thing.
Some of us see them as separate, I only support the manager if I believe they are right for the club.
Bruce wasn’t.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #436 on: June 06, 2018, 06:10:34 PM »
It didn't have to be an all or nothing approach.  There are degrees in between not spending anything and gambling everything so that if we didn't go up we're effectively bust.

Indeed. What's happening now won't have come as a surprise to Xia or Wyness, they probably knew the outcome of failure to be promoted back in September, at the latest end of January. All our income and costs are extremely predictable and easy to forecast.

Offline cdward

« Reply #437 on: June 06, 2018, 06:12:42 PM »
I doubt many would have supported the Norwich City approach to relegation. They have kept the PL money and settled in to life in the championship. There would have been uproar if we did that.
We gambled and it nearly paid off, but it is now going to bite us on the arse for years to come.
Is it better to have tried and failed, or not try at all?

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #438 on: June 06, 2018, 06:18:35 PM »
I doubt many would have supported the Norwich City approach to relegation. They have kept the PL money and settled in to life in the championship. There would have been uproar if we did that.
We gambled and it nearly paid off, but it is now going to bite us on the arse for years to come.
Is it better to have tried and failed, or not try at all?
You do not put the future of the club, it’s employees and it’s supportedrs at stake let alone the millions you have invested.
It was a failed business strategy so it’s betterto try but always be in a position to come back again.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #439 on: June 06, 2018, 06:19:18 PM »
What's all this "old buggers" moaning about being in the Championship?  I posted the other day at one of the other ageists if you are happy with 4th place in the second division, enjoy.  To which I would now add "And threatened with liquidation and 12 point deduction plus financial penalties - enjoy".  Some of us old buggers saw this shit storm coming many many months ago.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #440 on: June 06, 2018, 06:21:58 PM »
What's all this "old buggers" moaning about being in the Championship?  I posted the other day at one of the other ageists if you are happy with 4th place in the second division, enjoy.  To which I would now add "And threatened with liquidation and 12 point deduction plus financial penalties - enjoy".  Some of us old buggers saw this shit storm coming many many months ago.
Well said Brian.

Offline john2710

« Reply #441 on: June 06, 2018, 06:29:41 PM »
So Dr X has pulled the finance, is prevented from providing the finance or doesn't have the money in the first place. Whichever one it is, the information coming out over the last 24 hours seems to indicate that we've has been scraping around for the last few months trying to get money into the club from whatever source possible, Westwood fee, sell on clauses, selling land etc....

Overdraft, season ticket money, parachute payment gone & unpaid tax bills I can't see how the blame for any of this lies anywhere else that at the feet of DrX.

Vultures will be offering less than market value for everyone.

I can't see how DrX will get us out of this mess or how any possible sale will be completed quickly. Any buyer would surely wait until things get really desperate (administration).

Even if we'd gone up, would it only have delayed the inevitable or made a bad situation worse.

UTV

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #442 on: June 06, 2018, 06:34:25 PM »
He’s going to have to sell one way or the other. How could the fans ever put any faith in his regime after this?

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #443 on: June 06, 2018, 06:41:11 PM »
as an old bugger , I d like to ask all the others old enough to remember the state of the club in 1968/69 - was it worse then compared to now? Obviously the figures now are telephone numbers compared to back then - is there a Pat Matthews or Doug Ellis out there ready to rescue the club?
Who would have  thought back then that in 13/14 years we would be champions of Europe

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #444 on: June 06, 2018, 06:45:02 PM »

yep, plenty of us didn't want the Bruce "promotion or bust" gamble in any shape or form . Unfortunately Tony and the club went with it.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #445 on: June 06, 2018, 06:45:17 PM »
I'm an old(ish) bugger and I hate being in this shit pot league with a passion, however i'd have put up with being in it for a couple of years if we'd basically ripped the club apart and started fresh and built for the long term future, main reason I wanted Bruce gone after the first season was because we still looked a disjointed mess a lot of the time, not because we finished mid-table.
Instead we repeated all the same mistakes of going short term by buying a number of overpriced players that will be hard to shift, building up an unsustainable wage bill and hired a manager that as we've seen built pretty much everything based on a one season push. So now the odds look good that we'll be stuck down here for a fair old while barring a miracle.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #446 on: June 06, 2018, 06:47:01 PM »
I'm an old(ish) bugger and I hate being in this shit pot league with a passion, however i'd have put up with being in it for a couple of years if we'd basically ripped the club apart and started fresh and built for the long term future, main reason I wanted Bruce gone after the first season was because we still looked a disjointed mess a lot of the time, not because we finished mid-table.
Instead we repeated all the same mistakes of going short term by buying a number of overpriced players that will be hard to shift, building up an unsustainable wage bill and hired a manager that as we've seen built pretty much everything based on a one season push. So now the odds look good that we'll be stuck down here for a fair old while barring a miracle.

Basically articulates my view as well. It’s shocking how badly the club has been managed.

Online CT Villan

« Reply #447 on: June 06, 2018, 06:56:59 PM »
Quote from: Stan Collymore, Twitter
Owner believes that one club employee actively pushed for administration so that person could then be a part of a consortium to buy the club again, this ensuring continued role at Villa.

Quote from: Stan Collymore, Twitter
Consortium. Were at NDA stage with another club, tipped off that XXFC were for sale( including intimate financial details), dropped interest in other club and "parties" made sure it was circulated around the press. Shithousery on the grandest of scales.

That's mental if true...now SVC is trying to get a fan buy-out going !

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #448 on: June 06, 2018, 06:58:20 PM »

100% agree

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #449 on: June 06, 2018, 07:01:16 PM »
the reality being we have no money to spend and without an inspirational managerial appointment we may struggle to make an impact next season - potentially like our latter days in the top flight only with less financial reward
Ps I didn't realise you were an old 'UN- I had you down as a youngster :)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal