collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by Holte L2
[Today at 06:16:35 AM]

West Ham v Aston Villa post match by astonvilla82
[Today at 05:57:04 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by ROBBO
[Today at 04:59:13 AM]

FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:08:44 AM]

International Rugby by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:12:03 AM]

Games Moved for TV by Percy McCarthy
[March 18, 2024, 11:00:20 PM]

Press-ing on by Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle
[March 18, 2024, 10:48:26 PM]

Luton A by purpletrousers
[March 18, 2024, 10:24:29 PM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Financial fair play  (Read 219716 times)

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: Financial fair play
« Reply #840 on: March 24, 2019, 02:49:42 PM »
Perhaps Villa ought to put out a statement addressing this issue. If we are indeed compliant within the rules, perhaps the threat of a lawsuit against the Daily Mail might focus minds? This is damaging publicity against the club.

Letting the media walk all over us is as much a part of our identity now as winning trophies used to be.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #841 on: March 24, 2019, 07:36:10 PM »
Perhaps Villa ought to put out a statement addressing this issue. If we are indeed compliant within the rules, perhaps the threat of a lawsuit against the Daily Mail might focus minds? This is damaging publicity against the club.

Letting the media walk all over us is as much a part of our identity now as winning trophies used to be.
If , as has been reported we are working with and are in discussions with the EFL then there is little point in making this a media matter and drawing unnecessary attention to it.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #842 on: March 24, 2019, 09:40:45 PM »

If , as has been reported we are working with and are in discussions with the EFL then there is little point in making this a media matter and drawing unnecessary attention to it.

But DW's point still stands, since it  is true; but what is truth in these post-modern times.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #843 on: March 25, 2019, 12:48:10 AM »

But DW's point still stands, since it  is true; but what is truth in these post-modern times.
Agree, just thinking this might be an occasion when it is in our best interests to keep our powder dry.

Offline mike

« Reply #844 on: March 25, 2019, 11:56:44 AM »
I haven't been able to face up to this. I've had a quick skim over the last couple of pages and there seems to be reason to believe that we are not cattle trucked. Am I right?

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #845 on: March 25, 2019, 01:33:09 PM »
We're compliant. If we stay down, then we'll need to find a way of reducing losses to £7m or less.

Basically flog Grealish for £35m and shed the endless non-contributors and we will be left ok.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #846 on: March 25, 2019, 01:55:47 PM »
There's no way of keeping Jack then if we're stuck here even if he wanted to stay?
Please get promoted...please!

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #847 on: March 25, 2019, 03:42:07 PM »
Parachute payments reduce income, while our permitted losses decrease to £39m from £61m, so we would need to find around £30m to comply.

Grealish going and 7 or 8 large contracts going is probably worth about £45m. Our average salary is £1.8m, but I'd imagine the likes of Jedinak, Whelan etc are on north of £34k per week.

Online Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #848 on: March 25, 2019, 04:23:23 PM »
Price of Football (believe he's a bod at Liverpool Uni) reckons we've complied with FFP anyway.

Is that the bloke on twitter who posts on clubs accounting reports? He seems to know what he’s talking about
I hope he's right. Would shut up Richard Wilford on WM up!

Kieron Maguire is on t’ wireless tonight. This news comes with a caveat, It’s on WM during their football phone in and Richard Wilford will be involved.

Offline b23

• GM : 02.09.2019
« Reply #849 on: March 25, 2019, 07:22:51 PM »
An interesting article on the BBC internet sport.

Blackburn, Bolton and Birmingham: Seven charts showing how Championship clubs reached this point

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47691385

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #850 on: March 25, 2019, 08:34:31 PM »

Only caught the last 40 minutes of the WM thing tonight. Just as well as my heads still aching now.

From what i gather, if we don't get promoted then we're really got to sell Jack to balance the books. If we don't go up i'd expect that to happen anyway obviously. The problem then is, who do we sell to balance the books the next summer if we still aren't promoted ?

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #851 on: March 25, 2019, 08:37:50 PM »

Only caught the last 40 minutes of the WM thing tonight. Just as well as my heads still aching now.

From what i gather, if we don't get promoted then we're really got to sell Jack to balance the books. If we don't go up i'd expect that to happen anyway obviously. The problem then is, who do we sell to balance the books the next summer if we still aren't promoted ?

SJM probably

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #852 on: March 25, 2019, 09:52:00 PM »
Bringing the age of the squad down, making players more sellable is also a way of minimising FFP issues as we can agree that we will be able to sell to survive.  With such an ageing squad, there aren't too many in there that are of any real value, other than Jack and SJM, of course.  Smith has to make sure that he has a squad of 20, all sellable and of value to the club.  Instead of the Bruce valueless trash which have left us scrabbling around this coming summer to replace them all.

Offline rougegorge

« Reply #853 on: March 25, 2019, 11:25:56 PM »

Yes that was insightful stuff on WM. Lots of people on here slate the station,  but that was a good listen this evening. The guy they had on,  Kieran Maguire,  was very knowledgeable.

Blues were spending nearly twice as much as they were bringing in, and Wolves would have been in trouble had they not been promoted. They lost far more than anyone last season but apparently promotion bonuses aren't included in any calculation. Also an interesting article on Redknapp in the Observer yesterday.

We were so close to liquidation in the summer, that the criticism Bruce gets about leaving the squad in a parlous state now seems quite harsh.

We may need to get creative ourselves in the summer if we don't go up or inevitably we'll sell Jack and maybe McGinn.

Online KRS

« Reply #854 on: March 25, 2019, 11:31:40 PM »
There's only one thing for it...we need to support the team all the way to the playoff final then rock Wembley to its foundations as we roar them on to victory.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal