collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by amfy
[Today at 07:14:31 AM]

West Ham v Aston Villa post match by astonvilla82
[Today at 05:57:04 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by ROBBO
[Today at 04:59:13 AM]

FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:08:44 AM]

International Rugby by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:12:03 AM]

Games Moved for TV by Percy McCarthy
[March 18, 2024, 11:00:20 PM]

Press-ing on by Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle
[March 18, 2024, 10:48:26 PM]

Luton A by purpletrousers
[March 18, 2024, 10:24:29 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Financial fair play  (Read 219739 times)

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
Re: Financial fair play
« Reply #780 on: February 19, 2019, 07:32:53 PM »
We lose parachute payments this summer don't we so you to balance that out with losing some more high earners and possibly selling a crown jewel like Jack.

What I don't understand is why we just didn't sell Jack last summer. Yes Spurs weren't paying our valuation but it's still something to avert a potential FFP sanction.

Would be disappointed in the new lot if we get hit with any sort of points deduction (we can barely challenge for top 6 starting on 0 points). We had a massive warning last summer which we were lucky to get away with.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #781 on: February 19, 2019, 07:49:31 PM »
Thank god we didn’t sell Jack, can you imagine what Bruce would have done with any spare cash.
The Club has said FFP is not a problem,
I am baffled by this aswell.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #782 on: February 20, 2019, 12:40:20 AM »
Last summer was a capital issue as Dr Tony had maxed out the credit card.

Shaun Harvey is going. We've probably bought the new CEO or donated an airport to the EFL or something.

Online andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #783 on: February 20, 2019, 07:57:08 AM »
We lose parachute payments this summer don't we so you to balance that out with losing some more high earners and possibly selling a crown jewel like Jack.

What I don't understand is why we just didn't sell Jack last summer. Yes Spurs weren't paying our valuation but it's still something to avert a potential FFP sanction.

Would be disappointed in the new lot if we get hit with any sort of points deduction (we can barely challenge for top 6 starting on 0 points). We had a massive warning last summer which we were lucky to get away with.
Why should we sell him for less than his worth? Especially if the club understands that we didn’t ‘need’ to at that time.
I’m glad we told spurs to fuck off.

If we ‘must’ sell him in the future, and I’m resigned to the fact we do, then at least his true worth to Aston Villa is covered by a minimum valuation in his contract, hopefully.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #784 on: February 20, 2019, 08:05:52 AM »
Plus there was always the hope with promotion this season that Jack would stay for just one more year of dross. As it is we're stuck here, I just hope we don't have another saga all summer about him going and that it's all done by July.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #785 on: February 20, 2019, 12:04:23 PM »

Why should we sell him for less than his worth? Especially if the club understands that we didn’t ‘need’ to at that time.

If we ‘must’ sell him in the future, and I’m resigned to the fact we do, then at least his true worth to Aston Villa is covered by a minimum valuation in his contract, hopefully.

Probably around the period we were trying to pay our tax bills in instalments and  cashing in on our sell on clauses for players we sold in 2016.

I agree things changed when Wes and Nas turned up. Let's hope they're owners who have properly looked at the long term rather than just paying lip service to it.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #786 on: February 20, 2019, 12:34:19 PM »
Fuck it. Spend spend spend, get promoted, take the fine. Totally worth it so long as we get promoted! Risk? What risk? 😬

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #787 on: February 20, 2019, 12:37:12 PM »
Fuck it. Spend spend spend, get promoted, take the fine. Totally worth it so long as we get promoted! Risk? What risk? 😬

We tried that method in 16/17! Unlike Bournemouth and Leicester we just forgot the get promoted part of the job.

Could be wrong but read somewhere the new rules coming in know mean FL or independent board can now recommend to premier league teams that break rules and get promoted can be deducted points in the premier league to stop that little loophole.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #788 on: February 20, 2019, 01:19:04 PM »

Probably around the period we were trying to pay our tax bills in instalments and  cashing in on our sell on clauses for players we sold in 2016.

I agree things changed when Wes and Nas turned up. Let's hope they're owners who have properly looked at the long term rather than just paying lip service to it.

From what i understand Spurs never actually made an offer during that time, instead holding off until much later in the window in an attempt to push the price down and make us desperate. The new owners coming in and fixing the cashflow issues meant we could give them a "£40m or fuck off" style ultimatum so there was never really an offer to accept.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #789 on: February 20, 2019, 01:23:21 PM »
Didn't they make an early extremely derisory offer of £3m and Onomah?

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #790 on: February 20, 2019, 03:55:10 PM »
Didn't they make an early extremely derisory offer of £3m and Onomah?

They may have (but I don't recall it being widely reported and I'm fairly sure there was something from the club saying no offer had been received after that came out) buteven if they did that would've done nothing to help the finances so the point remains that Villa never really had a decision to make until we no longer needed the cash.

Offline Tuscans

• GM : 08.02.15
« Reply #791 on: February 20, 2019, 04:04:58 PM »
Companies house saying the owners have put in another 13 squillion to cover January.

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #792 on: February 20, 2019, 04:53:43 PM »
Companies house saying the owners have put in another 13 squillion to cover January.

That sounds a bit hand to mouth which can't be good long term?

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #793 on: February 20, 2019, 05:56:14 PM »
It obviously doesn't say anything about "covering January".  They've injected some more capital, that's all.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #794 on: February 20, 2019, 08:04:53 PM »
Didn't they make an early extremely derisory offer of £3m Onomah?

correct, so a net bid of £1.5m

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal