collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Unai Emery - our manager by ROBBO
[Today at 04:59:13 AM]

FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:08:44 AM]

International Rugby by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:12:03 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by DeKuip
[Today at 12:01:20 AM]

West Ham v Aston Villa post match by Pat McMahon
[March 18, 2024, 11:47:36 PM]

Games Moved for TV by Percy McCarthy
[March 18, 2024, 11:00:20 PM]

Press-ing on by Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle
[March 18, 2024, 10:48:26 PM]

Luton A by purpletrousers
[March 18, 2024, 10:24:29 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by ROBBO
[Today at 04:59:13 AM]

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:08:44 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:23:42 AM]

Re: FFP by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:10:34 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:38:48 AM]

Re: International Rugby by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:12:03 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by DeKuip
[Today at 12:01:20 AM]

Re: West Ham v Aston Villa post match by Pat McMahon
[March 18, 2024, 11:47:36 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Financial fair play  (Read 219683 times)

Offline amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
Re: Financial fair play
« Reply #390 on: June 02, 2018, 11:25:41 PM »
Has sponsoring the stadium for no more than market value become the new 'Why didn't Barry take the penalty?

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #391 on: June 02, 2018, 11:59:26 PM »
Has sponsoring the stadium for no more than market value become the new 'Why didn't Barry take the penalty?
And just as funny.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #392 on: June 03, 2018, 10:15:44 AM »
Isn't this FFP discussion a bit of a red herring, in that it assumes Xia actually wants to put more money in.

In his statement, he also said this:

We are all aware that we will face severe FFP challenges next season. I am an Aston Villa fan. But I am also a businessman. Under the current circumstances, I think the club needs to rethink not only the past two years but also the past ten years. Villa needs to be a sustainable football club. People join. People leave. That is the cycle of football. But the football club always remains through it all.  This is the ultimate reality that cannot be changed, but I can assure you that everyone behind the scenes is working tirelessly towards achieving our ultimate goal. 

We have been heavily investing for the past two seasons. However, the loss on Saturday means that we need to change a lot of things. No one wanted to see the club have to go through this, but I believe that only changes can help the club to progress towards the positive direction and this requires the joint efforts of everyone associated with this great football club. 

That does not sound to me like a man desperately looking for ways to get more money into the club.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #393 on: June 03, 2018, 11:12:58 AM »
I think it's an ego thing. Had we gone up I think he would have pumped more in because it gets him press and he likes the attention of it all. Slumming it for a 3rd year in the Championship takes that prestige away. He wants to be in the Premier league, for his ego IMO as much as anything else.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #394 on: June 03, 2018, 11:18:58 AM »
I think it's an ego thing. Had we gone up I think he would have pumped more in because it gets him press and he likes the attention of it all. Slumming it for a 3rd year in the Championship takes that prestige away. He wants to be in the Premier league, for his ego IMO as much as anything else.

A bit harsh to be honest.  He doesn't across to me as an ego manic.

Offline robleflaneur

« Reply #395 on: June 03, 2018, 11:27:53 AM »
A good summary of Ellis as well. A lot of businessmen will  just see the ridiculous amount of money that the clubs receive for being just a member of that league.Ego will be secondary.It was a pity that Lerner didn't have any business acumen despite his background.

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #396 on: June 03, 2018, 11:30:40 AM »
Wasn't part of the sale conditions that Tony had to pay Lerner an additional significant wedge on regaining Premier League status? So he clearly budgeted for that. But I do feel FFP and a tightening of funds are a happy coincidence for him.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #397 on: June 03, 2018, 11:53:09 AM »
Wasn't part of the sale conditions that Tony had to pay Lerner an additional significant wedge on regaining Premier League status? So he clearly budgeted for that. But I do feel FFP and a tightening of funds are a happy coincidence for him.

This to me is barmy. How would FFP, which means he's making no money be a happy thing for him ???

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #398 on: June 03, 2018, 11:55:01 AM »
Isn't this FFP discussion a bit of a red herring, in that it assumes Xia actually wants to put more money in.

In his statement, he also said this:

We are all aware that we will face severe FFP challenges next season. I am an Aston Villa fan. But I am also a businessman. Under the current circumstances, I think the club needs to rethink not only the past two years but also the past ten years. Villa needs to be a sustainable football club. People join. People leave. That is the cycle of football. But the football club always remains through it all.  This is the ultimate reality that cannot be changed, but I can assure you that everyone behind the scenes is working tirelessly towards achieving our ultimate goal. 

We have been heavily investing for the past two seasons. However, the loss on Saturday means that we need to change a lot of things. No one wanted to see the club have to go through this, but I believe that only changes can help the club to progress towards the positive direction and this requires the joint efforts of everyone associated with this great football club. 

That does not sound to me like a man desperately looking for ways to get more money into the club.

Well this has been my whole point. Other owners aren't coming out and issuing statements and talking about FFP because either they're busy ignoring it or they're working behind the scenes to find ways around it. I don't actually believe Xia has any desire to spend more money on us one way or the other, I'd imagine he's looked at what successive managers have spent 'his' (?) millions on and thought "Right, well that hasn't worked." FFP is a convenient way of battening down the hatches while avoiding alienating the entire fanbase.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #399 on: June 03, 2018, 12:00:33 PM »
If that's the case, Xia needs to sell the club and move on.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #400 on: June 03, 2018, 12:26:13 PM »
It’s possible he’s just massively fucked off like the rest of us. That he needed to make a statement, get away for a bit, let things calm down and come back a little more rationale in thought. I expect we will hear from the club starting with Bruce’s future this week.

It has to be frustrating for someone who has come to love the club he bought, has huge ambitions for it, finding it mired in the second tier yet again and not being able to personally invest in it. And I think in part it is am ego thing, because he probably had business partners or friends back home that he wanted to claim he owned a PL club.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #401 on: June 03, 2018, 12:35:34 PM »

A bit harsh to be honest.  He doesn't across to me as an ego manic.

I like the doc but that must be a joke?

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #402 on: June 03, 2018, 12:39:39 PM »
He must have thought he had done enough with the money he put in, the resources that were available and a manager that was a promotion expert.
His statement was full of emotion but light on action and strategy which is understandable but not reassuring.
We don’t know where he goes from here, maybe he doesn’t either.
Let’s hope he doesn’t turn into Lerner.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #403 on: June 03, 2018, 12:40:07 PM »

In the West we would call it 'ego' but in China and the Far East it is 'face'. It will be a massive loss of face for him to fail so I do not expect him to do a Lerner.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #404 on: June 03, 2018, 12:42:06 PM »
He's just the latest in the long line of businessmen who think this football lark is easy and then find out it's not like running a normal company.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal